Is it true what "they" say?

Mudkicker

Hi Mud!,

Glad you're still here.

The Klipsch Forum is really unique on the net and head and shoulders above anything out there for all things audio. The information and help within is extraordinary, and the members are very gracious in offering their experience, technical knowhow, and encouragement.

Many of us have been here a long time and a few of us are, how shall I say... "interesting charactors with strongly held opinions enhanced further by their distinctive personalities", and many of us cherish even their more abrasive and antagonizing posts up to the time they occasionally get banished from the forum. Amy does an excellent job of ensuring that the topics and contents here stay within the bounds of civility as evident by her entry into this thread.

Welcome aboard; I look forward to reading your posts.

pauln

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Dtel, where'd you find that winky thingy! I could have used that a little while ago because of course I know of Klipsch gobbling up Mirage in it's march towards global hegemony. Probably so the employees of the two companies could have a serious cross border winter snowball fight.

Of course Amy's been loading up on the bon bons so she'll probably have to waddle into the fray. ( he ducks, yes she misses with the snowball!)

Mudkicker, there have been some problems with quality control over the years. There were some very serious problems with their computer speakers crapping out and the aforementioned getting cheap and not using magnets thing. Mostly though, these are glitches that any company will run into. When it happens they respond very well and don't try to hide things, something most companies are afraid to do. Customer service is first rate and responsive.

What they haven't done is follow the path of too many audio companies and this is to dilute their good name with inferior products. What am I talking about? How about Marantz, Fisher, Luxman, Sony. Don't even get me started on JBL's miscarriage of justice on the tower HT subs they were selling a few years ago. I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the drift

I really do believe this is a company committed to making quality products. Hardly a clarion call to the ramparts but a refreshing attitude in this century's march towards the cheap and disposable.

Hey Phil, thanks buddy for the kinds words. That means there are at least two of us here who consider me a paragon, a fascinating, dazzling raconteur, devilishly handsome, humble in his genius, and a puffed up blowhard...

What! Scratch that last part.

• Moderators

" Hey Dtel, where'd you find that winky thingy! I could have used that a little while ago because of course I know of Klipsch gobbling up Mirage in it's march towards global hegemony. Probably so the employees of the two companies could have a serious cross border winter snowball fight. "

Thebes I can't see most of them but just to the right of the [:S] is the [;)], I think we need some new smiley's.

The Klipsch Forum is really unique on the net and head and shoulders
above anything out there for all things audio. The information and help
within is extraordinary, and the members are very gracious in offering
their experience, technical knowhow, and encouragement.

Many of
us have been here a long time and a few of us are, how shall I say...
"interesting charactors with strongly held opinions enhanced further by
their distinctive personalities", and many of us cherish even their
more abrasive and antagonizing posts up to the time they occasionally
get banished from the forum. Amy does an excellent job of ensuring that
the topics and contents here stay within the bounds of civility as
evident by her entry into this thread.

I'm glad to see that all has remained within the proper bounds of civility, and that no one has dared exceed the limits of propriety such is embodied by the mere allusion to the existence of a topic so heinous and socially reprehensible as "drummer jokes".

Ther ARE limits... after all...

Besides, roadie and lighting jokes have largely supplanted them anyway...

Excess

When I was a child I always thought that all the king's horses and all the king's men to fix one guy was a bit excessive.

Then when I got older and started touring I realized they must have been Teamsters.

St. Peter

A musician died in a van wreck coming home from a show.

As he stands at the gates of heaven, St. Peter checks over the list;

"I see you were loved by many fans, you did a lot of charity work too."

"Yeh,... well I did the best I could" , says the musician.

St. Peter reads on in the records; "and I see you were even good to

your roadies, very commendable, well it looks like you can come into heaven,...

go around to the back, past the dumpsters and load in through the kitchen!"

I'm glad to see that all has remained within the proper bounds of civility, and that no one has dared exceed the limits of propriety such is embodied by the mere allusion to the existence of a topic so heinous and socially reprehensible as "drummer jokes".

Ther ARE limits... after all...

Besides, roadie and lighting jokes have largely supplanted them anyway...

....like...how do you get two piccolo player to play in tune?

.... shoot one of them.

A jazz musician walks into a diner for lunch. He asks, "How's the apple pie, baby?"

The waitress finds that there is no apple pie left. She replies, "Oh, the apple pie is gone, man."

The jazz musician says, "Cool, I'll have a slice of that crazy pie!"

We should start a thread for music jokes!

I bought used Klipsch big ole horns three times now – keep moving up in size – because they are such good resale values. Classic Klipsch horns are cheap to the market – they sell for less than ½ the price of new models and, until the new three series of Heritage models came out, were just as good. For one thing, the woofer in the Khorn bass bin does not have the soft rubber surrounds on the driver that wears out. Klipsch uses a large, 15” woofer and a folded horn, so the woofer requires less energy, doesn’t work very hard and lasts a very long time. Many other speaker designs wear out quickly (especially electrostatics)!

While the cost of producing the same quality electronic component has gone up, the consumer budget for home theater has not significantly increased, in my opinion, over the last few decades. They seem to be spending a lot more on portable music and TV systems, then quality speakers. A good quality Harmon/Kardon receiver, for example, may have been $700 in the seventies. Such a unit would have to sell for about $2,000 in constant dollars today. Instead, similar quality units sell for about $4,000. Yet, the American audio consumer still budgets between $500 to $1,500 for a good quality, control amplifier device.

The bottom end of any speaker line has so many problems with sound quality, that if you had to choose one word to describe it, I might have to agree with “junk!” Initial impressions eventually give way to ear fatigue and leave you yearning for more.

It doesn't matter what you use for an example, High End, is generaly nice, good product, well made, then you slide way down the scale to consumer brand product, and they end up being cheezy and cheap, and just short of junk................ the old sayings are true, "You get what you pay for", you buy a pair of $200. to $400 speakers brand new, what do you really think your getting, do even tell me they are as good as Klipsch !!!!! You go to Wal-mart and buy a $38.00 CD player, don't tell me it's as good as my Sony, it's not, but for $38.00 it works................... This thread started by questioning Klipsch quality, old vs. new , .................. All Klipsch products are good,which level do you want !!!!!!!!!! ................ Bottom Line here, taken into consideration the value of a dollar, I feel Good Audio Products are cheaper, and more plentiful, and a wider assortment, today than they have rever been .............

Great Thread!!! I had to read this one twice, make notes, take breaks to stop laughing, go find a beer, etc.

And it all started with Mud's simple question... then quickly degenerated into a great "mudslinging", broadside firin', slam-dunkin' free-for-all (quite exciting...), then some general soul searching, apologies thrown about like ego-bandages, then all of a sudden segued quickly into the usual totally OT stuff that occurs by page 2 or 3. We got some insight into the latest Klipsch marketing and production philosophy updates, some "edgy" discussion on the definition of "junk"..., and then those weird pictures involving the mis-application of high voltage show up again (the one with Colter's hair standing straight out...). Then people started eating bon-bons or whatever and started watching Youtube, and if that was not right down the "weird and strange alleyway", we had totally unexpected surprise update on Thebes running for President (which should really be a great thread if he will just declare his candidacy and state his platform...). Then Doc Cullison's allusion to Dr. Mudd (The guy who treated Booth, I think...), and we got to the "I can't find a "smiley" query" (which thankfully someone answered before we started down the slippery slope of "smiley" problems and "quick reply" box sizes on the website). Then the whole speaker construction materials thing cropped up again (thanks alot guys!! one little, teeny weeny mispelling, and I'm sidetracked and spend an hour "googling" something called MDL). On the plus side, we also finally got an explanation on what's killing new Heritage sales (eBay... of course!!), a quick tour of some "roadie jokes", and then my favorite... someone gently caressing (was it "copping a feel"? or was it just electro-frottage...) some K'horns (?). Amazing!!

Wow, what a ride!!!! [H]

Meanwhile, poor ole' Mud's just sitting there watching the show and wondering if he'll just have to start takin' the meds again...[;)]

• Moderators

That about sum's up the 6 pages, so now the question is...... MUD, this about covers what it's like on this forum, wanna stay ? [:D]

You got a good feeling of what it's like on your first post, you are good, it takes some weeks to see the whole picture.