Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Congrats on the Quintent and Forte II (or Chorus II)! [H] I've yet to find any small boxes with Klipsch on them much less giant ones. [:(]

Some CDs from the local Goodwill tongiht.....

Glenn Gould - J.S. Back Goldberg Variations BWV 988 - 1955 Version

Eva Cassidy - Eva By Heart

Michael W Smith - Live The Life

Margaret Becker - Steps Of Faith 1987 - 1991

maybe I'll find some giant boxes with Klipsch on them one of these days...

Lol....

People ask me that all the time. Just in Oklahoma City. I hit up the Goodwills and thrift stores once a week.

There's a Rotel RC-972 preamp up there I found for $5.98 and a MK VX-7 powered sub for $5.98 as well :)

My girlfriend says I'm addicted to thrift shopping. I agree and admit it - it's better than being her and addicted to paying retail. I go once every other day as my main stop is around the corner about 2 minutes. Here are some things I picked up lately:

Posted Image

Namamichi AV-2 Pro-logic receiver. This machine has balls. Great 2 channel.

Posted Image

Polk RT-55 $50 I'm a big Polk fan too. I have full Paradigm, Polk, and Klipsch setups :)

Posted Image

Peavy PA400 head and 12" cabinets $75

Posted Image

KLH Model-24 vintage speakers. Circa 1960s $2

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

M&K VX-7 8" Powered sub $5.98

Posted ImagePosted Image

Full Yamaha setup with MX-830 amplifier (170w/chan?), 5 disc changer, dual tape, equalizer) $60. All functional

Posted Image

Rotel RC-972 $6 and NAD 114 preamp $60 (came with NAD 214 amplifier, what I use now)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g150/nguyendot/Computers%20and%20Stuff/audio%20vide/IMG_0010.jpg

Klipsch KG 3.5's $50/pair (I bought 2 pair).

What can I say, I'm addicted.

Nice little early 70's Luxman Sq-700x all works well, only 20wpc, pre-outs, 2 phonos...couldn't resist this one for my Luxman collection. $20. Sounds pretty good with the La Scala's.

A bit higher end Lux of about that vintage was my first "serious" purchase...around 400.00 as I recall, which was serious money at the time. Actually, about a months wages for a soldier at Ft Bliss, which I was.

Does this one have their active loudness? I LOVED it. Based directly on Fletcher-Munson curves and it worked very, very well to provide a balanced sound under most conditions. Since my speakers were almost perfectly matched to it (Rectilinear IV's) it was near perfect.

Dave

That Lux looks great!

Someone told me there were some turntables at Salvation Army so that is where I went. I was looking through some stacks of terrible music when a guy walks over and says he has some records in the back. He promptly brought them out to me :) This is all I picked out. They are all in great condition even the white album with serial numbers. The blue vinyl beatles is not in good shape which was a bummer. For 75 cents each this is what I walked off with. I'm afraid Beatlemania was not worth even 5 cents but it is funny.

IMG_2518.JPG

Yesterdays trip down to the thrift store got me this nice little Yamaha rig....Ok it ain't exactly a real Strat, but $50 for what seems like a brand new guitar and actually quite playable I'm happy...[:D]

The little 10 watt amp is crap, but that can go in the yard sale along with the tuner.

I think I would have jumped on that, as well. I've never owned an electric guitar, but I've been playing acoustics for 40 years. Surprisingly, I'm still not very good at it, even though I play a '73 D-28...[;)] Mmm, had a very sweet 60's Gibson L-4C a few years back...seller's remorse...

A couple of CDs Friday at the Goodwill in Lafayette

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir - O Divine Redemmer - 1992 - Got this one for Dad's fiancee. Not something I'd listen to more than maybe once.

Various - Winter Wonderland A Traditional Christmas - 2009 - Got this one for St Ruth as shell aprreciate it more.

Hey that little Yammie is nothing to sneeze at. In some ways (the neck geometry in particular) I prefer it to a strat. Great score.

Agreed, I just spent a little time getting the neck set-up right, manged to improve it a lot actually, put on the new strings that also came with it. lol. Plays very well now. it won't be replacing my Telecaster, but it will be nice for when friends come over and there is a spare guitar to be played.

I picked up about 30 records for $30 at antique stores this weekend. Most I bought solely for the covers esepecially at $1 each.

Here are some 78 box sets I scored.

This one was for the cool Tiki style cover.

IMG_2522.JPG

Fats Waller is mint.

IMG_2523.JPG

I couldn't pass this up. PARTY RECORDS to go :)

IMG_2524.JPG

I've been looking for this Raymond Scott box set for years. The 78s are all mint. I'm totally psyched.

IMG_2525.JPG

Music isn't good but the cover is cool.

IMG_2526.JPG

These are regular LPs.

This is one of the weirdest sounding records I've found. Until now I hadn't heard Hawaiian Swing with groovy steel guitars. It cracks me up can't wait to have a summer hawaiian party.

IMG_2527.JPG

This is my first Christmas record roflmao.

IMG_2528.JPG

More 50's to 60's exotic. Bought mostly for the cover. As far as exotica goes Arthur Lymann is my fave.

IMG_2529.JPG

This one is pretty good.

IMG_2530.JPG

Music is terrible cover is beautiful.

IMG_2531.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Found a single (1) KG4 today at Goodwill for $15. For the life of me I could not find its mate... but alas I walked away with one!

Not bad... Should make a good center for my Forte II's... thoughts?

They're 1989 year

I'd guess a KG4 would work pretty good as center for Forte II's... however, the 2 way KG4 versus the 3 way Forte II probably won't have perfect timbre match so you may hear a difference in the KG4 center and Forte II left and right. Another Forte II would be the best match. Next best would be a Heresy or other speaker similar to the Forte II with same horns and drivers. Let us know how it works.

Picked up a couple of CDs December 27th at a flea market in Kissimmee FL while on a side trip to visit my wife's aunt's family while visiting my wife's father in Venice FL.

Tina Turner - Simply The Best

Simply The Best

Madonna - The Immaculate Collection

Immaculate Collection

Can't say I'm a big Madonna fan but like a couple of songs OK so for a $1.... the family may like it even better.

p.s. My wife and daughters got me 4 LPs for Christmas for a local thrift or antique store. One by Steppenwolf, Barry Manilow, The Village People, and a mystery artist. They couldn't remember the titles or even the artist on the 4th one and did not take them with on our Holiday travels and forgot where they put them.

• 2 weeks later...

No one else checking thrift stores lately? Or not finding anything? Or is it just that my standards are lower? [:(]

A fistfull of CDs from the local Goodwill Wednesday... I've payed more for 1. Sorry vinylphiles a quick glance it mostly looke pretty beat up and I was running late to Table Tennis but was accross the street and hadn't stopped in since last year. It's probably a good thing that the local pawn shops and thrift stores all close by 5 PM or earlier.

Eva Cassidy - Songbird

My second Eva Cassidy CD. I really liked the one I scored a few weeks ago... Eva By Heart

Songbird

Various - Wolfgang Jack's Halloween Special Monster Mash Bash

Looks like it should be fun. My wife loves Halloween so she'll probably like this one.

Monster Mash Bash

Windham Hill Artists - The Bach Variations

A different kind of crossover.

Bach Variations

Various - The Great Jazz Vocalists Sing The Gershwin Songbook

Looks interesting. Most if not all of the singers I've heard of. Even have albums by one or two.

Great Jazz Vocalists Sing The Gershwin Songbook

Billie Holiday - Swing! Brother, Swing!

Note sure that we've got more than 1 maybe 2 Billie Holiday tracks on a CD compilation so I'd think we need at least one.

Swing! Brother, Swing!

Phil Dirt & The Dozers - Live At The Murphy

They've been at the county fair a few times but I've not seen them think heard a few bars from a distance and thought they could be fun so I guess I'll find out. Ran across this. Then Anthology so thought maybe this collection, then Anthology volumes 2, 3, 4 so decided on the live album. I think they're a regional cover band from Ohio?

Live At The Murphy

And I also picked up a copy of Compton's Interactive Bible New International Version(1998).... while the pictures and any extras may be better in newer versions the story remains the same. Also had a King James version but went for the NIV

From an antiques / collectables / furniture / etc store ...

LPs

Little Feat - Time Loves A Hero - 1977 Warner Bros.

Time Loves A Hero

Boots Randolph - The Sound Of Boots

The Sound Of Boots

CDs

George Winston - Plains

Plains

Larnelle - The Best Of 10 Years Volume 1 - Picked this one up for my Dad's fiance or St Ruth

Best of 10 Years

Now that does bring back some memories. I saw Degarmo and Key open for Petra a very very very very very very very long time ago. Wasn't even old enough to drive myself to the concert nor able to leave early. On another note I picked up a RezBand - Hostage LP this weekend. I was a bigger fan of the band DA or Daniel Amos.

Seti,

I didn't want to leave early when I saw them. 1st time I saw them was outside in a field by themselves and a few years later in a small auditorium. I liked their earlier works through Live - No Turning Back (I think that was the title).

I've somehow never heard Daniel Amos though my memory tells me I've thought I would like them.

Now if I would just find some of the really good stuff or cool stuff some of the rest of you find.

3 CDs at the local Goodwill.

Various Artists - Verve Remixed

• tracks by Willie Bobo, Carmen McRae, Astgrid Gilberto, Dinah Washington, Nina Simone, Shirly Horn, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, Tony Scott, and Shirley Bassey.
  • Very little if any works by the above artists in our collection other than the recently acquired Billie Holliday CD and1 or 2 other Bilie Holliday tracks.

Joe Henderson - Lush Life The Music of Billy Strayhorn

• No Joe Henderson but I've hread of him
  • Billy Strayhorn was long time collaborator and pianist (I think) with Duke Ellington

Mannheim Steamroller - Christmas Celebration

• Already have a couple of MS Christmas CDs and found enjoyable so our Christmas collection grows

No cover on the Verve Remixed and the back cover looks to have been printed from too small downloaded file. Put into one file as the Forum lately seems to send posts with multiple links into pending moderator approval limbo....

Verve Remixed

• 3 weeks later...

Another stop by the local Goodwill....

AM/FM Walkman - $2.99 Hoping the radio and headphone out work so I can listen to the radio at work.

AM/FM Walkman

A couple of CDs for Mother Out Law St Ruth or Dad's Fiancee Norma

Louis Armstrong, Lionel Hampton I'm thinking potential.... enthusiasm waned ... really waned by the time I got to Lawrence Welk. I think Norma will like this one... St Ruth probably woud also. I'll have to at least give a listen to the Lionel Hampton and Louis Armstrong tracks.

Big Band Christmas vol 3

Various - Christmas Favorites - another for St Ruth or Norma though might be a couple songs ...

Christmas Favorites

A couple of CD's for me...

dc Talk - Welcome To The Freak Show

Welcome To The Freak Show

Various - The Holiday Sounds of Windham Hill

Holiday Sounds Of Windham Hill

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davidness

Friday night/Saturday morning my new Latino ST-120 tube amp died. I'm still trying to diagnose the problem.

So, being bummed, I head out to see the local garage sales on Saturday morning. Lo & behold, I spot an Adcom GFA-535 stereo power amp sitting among some typical yard sale junk. $10 they ask. I offer $5. Done! I had no idea if it worked or what it might sound like. It wasn't the cleanest, with some scratches on the top, but a very clean front panel. So I took a chance.

I hook it up where my tube amp had been.... and I LOVE it! It's not the most powerful amp according to it's specs, but it's plenty powerful enough for my RF-7's. It will definitely fill in as a worthy substitute until the ST-120 gets fixed. In some ways, I might even say I like it more. Might.

It's caused me to rethink the potential of even higher-end solid state power amps (God help me). Anybody have an opinion on Adcom's stuff. I never paid it any attention until now.

The tube amp will probably return once it's fixed, but the little Adcom will certainly power a seconday zone pretty well.

$5 Score!

post-38614-13819540447014_thumb.jpg

post-38614-13819567626754_thumb.jpg

post-38614-13819568888926_thumb.jpg