Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Ben, that last cover reminded me of the illustration on my favorite comedy album, National Lampoon's That's Not Funny, That's Sick!

23ie900.jpg

Gregg. Too funny. I remember this cartoon (?) from way back when I was in high school I had an amusement park stuffed frog we named Phillipe la grenouille that "attended" French class. Dang toy frog scored better on the tests than I did. We almost made him a little cart but didn't want to gross out anyone or maybe were just too lazy.

Mapleshade produces some very nice sounding CDs - I really like the simple, straight up recording techniques Pierre uses - sometimes with only a single mike overhead.

As a rule, I don't mention any TS finds but I wanted to share an experience that many of us have encountered at one time or another. Yesterday, I walked into a local Goodwill and as usual, I went straight to the record bins. I immediately came upon a copy of Gentle Giant's 'Giant Steps' - a very good retrospective album and one I've never come across in a thrift shop. I kept flipping through and found every original GG title except Power and the Glory and In a Glass House all imports and most on the Vertigo label. I found plenty of other progressive albums... Yes, Patrick Moraz, Bill Bruford, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, etc. - 25-30 in all. There were quite a few promos and 2 bootlegs of Genesis concerts in the pile I put aside. I then proceeded to check out the records...and my heart sank. Scratches, dirt and cracks abounded. I examined each record and the disappointment rose with every one I pulled. In the end, the only record worth taking home was Gentle Giant's 'Missing Piece' and even that was stretching my usual standards. I only take records home that I would be willing to play without cleaning (though I always clean 'em). The record was a bit dirty but I just had to take something from the pile....bummer.

Mapleshade produces some very nice sounding CDs - I really like the simple, straight up recording techniques Pierre uses - sometimes with only a single mike overhead.

As a rule, I don't mention any TS finds but I wanted to share an experience that many of us have encountered at one time or another....

I then proceeded to check out the records...and my heart sank. Scratches, dirt and cracks abounded.

I only take records home that I would be willing to play without cleaning (though I always clean 'em). The record was a bit dirty but I just had to take something from the pile....bummer.

The Mapleshade CD sounded interesting just because I'd read their recordings were very well done.

I know the feeling. I've probably rejected more LPs than what I keep. Scratches and dirt is the rule though sometimes the vinyl looks clean with a beat up cover. Go figure. Get my hopes up thinking I've found something good and it's all beat up.

I've not played a record without cleaning for over 30 years now but only have a Discwasher DiscKit though I've experimented with steam cleaning. Everything looks nice and shiny but naturally doesn't remove ticks and pops no matter how "clean" the record looked before or after cleaning.

Not sure why I post my thrift finds here other than it's fun to see what others have found on the cheap.

I don't want to post such things because it'll be a document of an obsession I'm not particularly proud of, maybe even a record of my decent into a compulsive disorder and certainly something my wife is better off knowing as little about as possible. When I had less than 1000 LPs, I was in control of things; when I hit 2000, I still thought I was in control; after 3000, I began to wonder; at 4000, I became concerned so now I've stopped counting...problem solved.

$3 is way too much to pay for a yard sale CD, particularly Chicago 19!Surprise

Well. I really like the older Chicago material but they really lost a lot with the passing of Terry Kath IMVHO. So this is not one of their better efforts but maybe not one of their worst. This was from a flea market. The flea market vendor probably bought it at a yard sale for $1. We had actually went there as it was advertised as a yard sale with some stuff my wife and/or daughter were interested in.

Could've been worse. Could've been a Marie Osmond CD. (Sorry Richard, I can't resist).

$3 is about the most I pay for any CD anymore. The last time I spent more than that was $20 for the 4 disc Led Zeppelin boxed set I get on Black Friday a couple of years ago. I've become so cheap since I've found I can get music I like for $3 or less.

I don't want to post such things because it'll be a document of an obsession I'm not particularly proud of, maybe even a record of my decent into a compulsive disorder and certainly something my wife is better off knowing as little about as possible. When I had less than 1000 LPs, I was in control of things; when I hit 2000, I still thought I was in control; after 3000, I began to wonder; at 4000, I became concerned so now I've stopped counting...problem solved.

I'm still very wet behind the ears. Lost track of my old box of index card of LPs with somthing over 500. Still well under 1000. 1000 to 2000 to 3000 (edit 3,000, not 30,000) to 4000. Not such a bad obsession.

JBryan my good man you're what Dennie would call a "Black Heroin" addict.

Bet you have an awesome collection.

A few CDs (6) from the Carmel (IN) Goodwill on the way to our daughter's otologist appointment in Indianapolis as we were very early.

5 May 2010

Various - Vans Warped Tour 2006

• Our daughter picked out this one. Not sure I recognize any of the bands.

Green Day - International Superhits

• Another one of her choices. She and/or our oldest daughter may already have but she said if they did they could both have a copy.

Commodores - Hits Vol 1

• Probably all the Commodores I'll ever need .... "and she's a brick house ..."

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

• Have this on DVD and have thought some of the best sound quality I've heard in my home has come from the DVD version

Mannheim Steamroller - Christmas In The Aire

• We already have this so will go to mother out law St Ruth or Dad's fiancee Norma

Various - Got A Feeling Called The Blues

• Very little blues in our collection so couldn't pass it up

• 3 weeks later...

Some LP's last Saturday from a local garage sale....

May 14 Garage Sale

My wife picked up the John Cougar and the Chicago 16 (which I'm pretty sure we already have - maybe GarMD will want it?). Well they called and told me there were some LPs I might be interested in so I had to go and I'm responsible for the rest [:$][:D][:S].

Some more LPs from May 14th my wife and daughter picked up from"The Original Treasure Mart Mall". The Beatles album is pretty beat up but our youngest daughter wanted to frame it and hang on her wall.

Treasure Mart 14 May 2010

The Styx album is Cornerstone which I'm sure we already have. The Chicago album is their second so could be worth listening to if it cleans up good but one mark on it that looks like something I don't want to subject my cartridge to.

Beatles records with trashed vinyl still for $20-$30 in our thrift malls [:@]

Some more LPs from May 14th my wife and daughter picked up from"The Original Treasure Mart Mall". The Beatles album is pretty beat up but our youngest daughter wanted to frame it and hang on her wall.

Treasure Mart 14 May 2010

The Styx album is Cornerstone which I'm sure we already have. The Chicago album is their second so could be worth listening to if it cleans up good but one mark on it that looks like something I don't want to subject my cartridge to.

Beatles records with trashed vinyl still for $20-$30 in our thrift malls Angry

I think they paid about $11 for this one. 75% of $44.95. I don't think I'd pay $11 for it but our daughter seemed exicted.

Some more CDs, on May 12th.

May 12 CDs

The Vans Warped Tour and Newboys are for the girls. Flim, Wynton, and Ray are for me. The rest most likely for mother in law or Dad's fiancee though I may decide to keep the Scott Wesley Brown and maybe the Mannheim Steamroller but we have a TON of Christmas CDs. I've heard that Tunnel is a letdown compared to the other Flim and the BBs albums. Hope I find some of the others.

And yet some more from May 14, some CDs from the local Goodwill. I was hoping maybe they'd have more Flim and the BBs but no such luck.

May 14 Kokomo Goodwill

The Yanni for mother in law unless my wife wants it. Yanni's Live At The Acropolis is actually pretty good. Not heard much else but one's enough for me. The Christmas CDs will probably be given away but may keep if the family wants to.

Some CDs from 3 Indianapolis area Goodwill stores on May 21st. I took our youngest daughter to get her new hearing instrument and we went shopping. Even stopped at 2 or 3 yard sales but found nothing.

May 21 Castleton Goodwill

Christmas Memories for Dad's fiancee. The Kenny G CDs for my mother in law unless my wife wants to keep them.

May 21 Keystone

Sandy Patti for mother in law or Dad's fiancee (our girls' Grandma Norma). We'll probably keep the rest. Alea spotted the Michael Kelsey an uber talented Indianapolis area musician who I've seen live in Kokomo and who also performed at a Klipsch company picnic not too long ago. I've heard Alanna Myles' "Black Velvet" which I like but no idea about any of her other songs. The Little River Band should conjur up memories of high school.

May 21 Westfield

Canticles & Carols of Praise for Grandma Norma. The Michael Crawford disc for my mother in law St Ruth.

Beatles records with trashed vinyl still for $20-$30 in our thrift malls Angry

I think they paid about $11 for this one. 75% of $44.95. I don't think I'd pay $11 for it but my dauther seemed exicted.

Some more CDs, on May 12th.

May 12th

The Vans Warped Tour and Newboys are for the girls. Flim, Wynton, and Ray are for me. The rest most likely for mother in law or Dad's fiancee though I may decide to keep the Scott Wesley Brown and maybe the Mannheim Steamroller but we have a TON of Christmas CDs. I've heard that Tunnel is a letdown compared to the other Flim and the BBs albums. Hope I find some of the others.

And yet some more from May 14, some CDs from the local Goodwill. I was hoping maybe they'd have more Flim and the BBs but no such luck.

May 14th

The Yanni for mother in law unless my wife wants it. Yanni's Live At The Acropolis is actually pretty good. Not heard much else but one's enough for me. The Christmas CDs will probably be given away but may keep if the family wants to.

Hey Ben, I think that the Ray Charles cd may be a real find!

What I missed. A CL add for 250 lp's from 60's 70's and 80's for 50.00. I saw it and called and she said she had sold them 3 days earlier. Buttttt.....

she had found another box of lp's from her late husband with about 50 lp's she would sell me for 10.00. I said I would be right over. It had a lot of old mMarshall tucker, black oak Ark. , some who, little feat and some others. They were all in very good condition. One wipe with the disc washer and they played with minimal pops and clicks. I kick my self for not checking the craigslist 3 days earlier.

What I missed. A CL add for 250 lp's from 60's 70's and 80's for 50.00. I saw it and called and she said she had sold them 3 days earlier. Buttttt.....

she had found another box of lp's from her late husband with about 50 lp's she would sell me for 10.00. I said I would be right over. It had a lot of old mMarshall tucker, black oak Ark. , some who, little feat and some others. They were all in very good condition. One wipe with the disc washer and they played with minimal pops and clicks. I kick my self for not checking the craigslist 3 days earlier.

Bummer Merkin. Sounds like you did get some good stuff.

Another foray to the local Goodwill.

2010-06-02

May have the Canadian Brass but if we do it'll go to my mother in law or Dad's fiancee or ...