Best Grammy "real moment" in my opinion..

IndyKlipschFan

She has had her problems... But watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txeWwDKaOc4

Singer Amy
Winehouse was shocked and barely able to articulate her thanks when she
won the 2008 Grammy for Record of the Year for "Rehab."

Amy
was waylaid in London. Intitially, the United States didn't want to
issue her a work visa due to her drug problems and when they decided to
give it to her, it was too late for her to board a plane and get to the
Grammies in time.

She performed two songs- "I'm No Good" and
"Rehab" live via satellite from recording studios in London with a
small appreciative crowd.

Shortly after her set, Amy was announced as the Grammy recipient for Record of the Year.

Stunned,
she hugged her exuberant band members, her proud dad and then
emotionally embraced her mom, giving her thank you speech with her
mother by her side.

NOTE: There is a shorter version of Amy winning the Grammy here-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_8rHT...

From the Grammy Awards 2008, broadcast live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California- Sunday, February 10, 2008

Copyright 50th Annual Grammy Awards, 2008

(less)
==============================================================
If you want to know what the fuss is about, watch this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdg0KPVEI0g

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah she's an incredible vocalist, been around for a while, just getting press over here. She should be a role model like those rockers from the seventies that so many people worship, you know like Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison, and the scores of other musicians that did scores of drugs before rehab became vogue.

Tom

Another troubled Diva ... Why is bad behavior rewarded ????

Wierd stuff. Why not have Heath Ledger's family do backing vocals on the disco version.

Poplular music of today has such a worship of deviant behavior. I do not get it and neither does Mick or Keith.

=========================

Winehouse, 24, entered a London rehab clinic last month in hopes of
kicking a destructive habit that has overshadowed her promising career.

Stones frontman Mick Jagger, himself no stranger to pharmaceutical
experimentation and resulting legal troubles, compared the drug
problems of the present generation of Brit rock stars, such as
Winehouse and Pete Doherty, to his early days when drugs became an
integral part of the pop music scene.

"When we were experimenting with drugs, little was known about the
effects," Jagger said. "In our time there were no rehab centres like
today. Anyway, I did not know about them."

Sounding a bit like the 64-year-old grandfather that he is, the
fitness fanatic said he couldn't understand how the younger generation,
knowing the dangers of drug use, could still be users.

soundbound pretty cool.... I love the AOL sessions and Yahoo ones too...

The "ska feel" of this one is cool live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3dw8hUlsCM&feature=related

She has a unique voice and look. A throwback to many styles perhaps, but all 100% Amy!

It is different to what else is out there to listen to today. That's what makes it cool.

Can't you see a dozen or so college age women drinking martinis jumping up and down and singing to re hab at the top of their voices? I can. LOL

Every once in a while we get a artist that just bursts on the scene and makes a huge statement! Time in music just stops... Much like Alanis Morrissette, in 1995, with "Jagged Little Pill." A lot of women connect to Amy on many different levels.. Her pain, her struggles, her hopes, and broken dreams of love.. Rehab in my opinion to us the listener.... may be a man.. it may be booze.. or may be drugs... But everyone telling you what to do when your in HS or college or really at any age is a common thread we all have experienced, and we rebel against it saying no, no, no!

I think she was being rewarded for her music, not her behavior. A strong album, "Rehab", and "I'm no good" are by no means the best of the lot.

People who abuse substances do so for various reasons, the main thrust being self-medication. No one really wants to be an addict, because in the end, you know what the deal is: the problem won't go away by getting high. So you either kill yourself, or you get better. In spite of her rehab tune, it sounds like she's trying to get better. Like most addicts, it'll take 5 or 10 or 15 attempts. If she doesn't die first, she'll be good to go. Hope she sticks around, she writes great music. Hopefully kids see her for what she is, a posterchild for the anti-drug campaign, and not the embodiment of the "romantic, tortured artist".

I didn't mean that there is nothing wrong with hard core drug use, just that it seems very prevelant in the music industry, especially jazz and rock/pop. You can't single out todays artists. Drugs have been around way before the Stones and they had to know about the effects. The bottom line is I really like Amy Winehouse, she's new and a break from the cookie cutter musicians we have today. People that frown on her for her drug use need to look into the history of drugs and music. Give the music a chance, it's really good.

With all due respect, in order to avoid the lack the desire to explore the personal and social insights of an alcoholic junkie, i do not need to explore the history of drugs and music.

Its pretty sad when even Barney the Purple Dinosaur has an even greater grasp and insight into the human condition than does she.

...And a break from the "cookie cutter musicians we have today"? Yeah, right. To the degree that popular music seems to be fascinated with dysfunctional folks, she fits right up there. I can't wait for her duet album with Britney.

Sorry, but if she has anything to say, she might want to leverage some of that insight and use it to get her act together.I have seen enough of such nonsense to find ANY redeeming value in it.

There are plenty of very exceptional artists who are producing better music than she, but I guess its a shame that they are responsible human beings who lack the publicity draw that she enjoys. But perhaps she may yet prove an asset into the continuing research into colony collapse disorder threatening honeybees.

Pass.

Then I guess you won't be purchasing the cd? Say what you will but she does have an incredible voice and since the award was for a musician and not admission into MENSA I guess she deserved it. You don't have to be an alcoholic junkie to appreciate her music. If you don't want to listen to musicians on drugs I hope you don't like jazz or punk.

• Moderators

If you boycotted every musician who recorded music under the influence of something, you'd probably have a pretty skimpy collection. Besides that, if an alcoholic found a cure for cancer, would you not take it based on this principle?

Let's focus on the music here in 2-channel here guys, and leave the judgements on behavior up to whoever does the judging. We have no idea what kind of problems other people may have. In my experience, addiction is a symptom that something else is terribly wrong.

Awards?

I wish I cared about awards given by an mutual admiration society that is perpetually concerned with self aggrandizement in yet a further effort to publicize and sell their own material. And the inbred TV/Movie and music industry is constantly giving themselves awards!

When was the last time they every said "well, this time we simply didn't have a truely exceptional entry in this category"?

The fact is, I inadvertently did just happen to tune in just as she was coming onstage to perform last night.....[|-)].

Its a pretty scary fact that if only Barney and I produced an album in a particular category that one of us would be guaranteed to receive the award, regardless of how good either work actually was. So I am not so sure that it means anything. (And at least I can feel reasonable sure that I could con Coytee in to buying a copy!)

The first time I have heard her was today on the link to her grammy show perfromance. I have to say that I was disappointed, and am glad to hear from one poster that those songs are not the best of the lot. I found nothing original in it at all, just retro, and to me not that good for retro.

If you don't want to listen to musicians on drugs I hope you don't like jazz or punk.

What a generalization. I actually know quite a few jazz musicians who are straight. They avoid drugs, and some of them have never even tried drugs.