MUSIC VS DEPRESSION

billybob

Or music therapy! "Music can calm even the savage beast"!

Not trying to open a can of worms here but, seems relevent! And would think this has been discussed here before. Just from the start of listening to music consciously, have I found that I listen to music unconsciously for it's own sake, while no doubt reaping the benefits derived from. Then reality sets in and I say to myself, I feel great, the music is in me.

LOL! It's early yet but, ***dtel's post on music/stroke patients finally gave thought to post. No doubt, if I were to Google the subject I should find where some clinicians are coming to this epiphany. Would think that some therapists have long known and practiced this art/science.

Just seems so bleeding obvious and logical! [C] Time for me to wake up and smell the roses!

Thanks!

Yeh. Music can definitely be soothing. With the right music, anyway.

Years ago had to quit listening to "Blood on the tracks". Couldn't listen to the album w/o getting depressed.

That music(Dylan) I can see having that affect.....I have listened to B Sabbath when in a bad mood and it improved, lol!

Music therapy and pet therapy with the right person can be great things. I know the music I listen to can either bring me up or make me drop like a rock. Now my dog and cats just love me no matter how bad of a day I've had.

Pet Therapy is a good thing....lowers the BP....they say...our 3 cats sometimes....our dog...ever faithful. Trust them to let you guess what they want...food?

Music great therapy for being a little down. I have numerious songs which remind me of not so happy events in my life, in the same way I associate many songs with the happy events. Not sure its going to help with clinical depression.

Music(song) can bringout thoughts, good or bad for sure, like a Rolodex running through back pages.

Right music may help "Clinical" depression! Probably no type music can correct a chemical imbalance.

Music is a great tool for inducing and reinforcing reflection based melancholia.

There are a few that can bring me 'up'...Ironically the best music for bringing me 'up' is the music of Sisters of Mercy (Eldridge rocks!) or Jim Carroll's Catholic Boy - with anything but up lyrics. OK, exceptions are Little Feat and Wang Chung who can do it too...with upbeat and quirky lyrics...

mas, Jim Carroll, now that's reaching back there, haven't heard that in years,

Well if you want depression from music, try this ; LOU REED : BERLIN ........... not for everyone, god awful album ........

Most of the time, I find music very up lifting when I need a boost, you gotta' know what to play !!!!!!!!!!!

In the '90s (or was it the '80s?), whenever I heard Roxy Music's Dance Away, no matter what bad thing had just happened, I would feel better right away.

You know, the one that goes "Dance away the heartaches, dance away the tears..."

Ska music always cheers me up, too: