Hey tube guys ?

seti

I want to do some tube rolling with my new Onix integrated amp. The power tubes I can roll are 350B 6L6 KT66 & 5881. The only downside to this amp is the recessed tube pin sockets. Are the pins thicker on my VA350Bs? I was told to use the glass to push the tubes in and pull them out of the amp. This does not give me warm fuzzy feeling... It would be nice to put an adapter in the pin socket to raise the tubes and make rolling easier. Is there such a thing as a tube socket extender? really had to work these in the amp. In the second pic it looks like it should be easy to do but it is not.

IMG_0430.JPIMG_0431.JPG

The picture must be deceiving in some way because the sockets don't look all that deep. Looks like you can wiggle 'em right out of there. I have seen socket adapters of some sort, but I can't recall a socket extender. I'm guessing that after a few insertions they will get a bit looser and you won't have much trouble.

It is abit deceiving. It is hard to get a good handle on the tubes and wiggled into place. I am wondering if the 350B pins are just a tad thicker. This is the first amp I have had trouble installing tubes into. I hope you are right about them loosening up as it is a pita.

mdeneen: I'm guessing that after a few insertions it will get a bit looser and you won't have much trouble.

That method usually works pretty good. You might also try a little sweet talk and wine. Works for me every time.

This entire thread is DISGOOSTING!

More...and pictures.

Dave

You'll need one of those South American bull frogs with the really sticky tongue. Aim the frog carefully and squeeze it, (not too much pressure here or you get negative results from the rear end). The tongue will come out and attach itself to the tube. Then just release the pressure and the tube will pop right out.

Use the white glove while doing this so you don't get warts.

I look at your pics and then I look at the recessed output and rectifier sockets on my SET amp and really see no difference. Granted, seeing with your own eyes is different from viewing a photo, but it looks to me like pulling out your 350s from their sockets shouldn't be a major issue. I'm not saying it isn't, natch, but it looks to me like it shouldn't be that hard. Maybe the holes in your sockets are tighter than most, I dunno...

I agree, pushing and pulling tubes to and from their sockets by the glass bottles doesn't sit well with me either! With my 300Bs and GZ37 I grasp the top edge of their bases for insertion and removal. Actually, I do that to all my tubes in any component...I never want to pull the glass away from its base (the very thought of that sends chills down my spine)! Can you not grab your output tubes from their bases?

post-11084-13819361204324_thumb.jpg

You'll need one of those South American bull frogs with the really sticky tongue. Aim the frog carefully and squeeze it, (not too much pressure here or you get negative results from the rear end). The tongue will come out and attach itself to the tube. Then just release the pressure and the tube will pop right out.

Use the white glove while doing this so you don't get warts.

Not after what happened with the last frogs.

I look at your pics and then I look at the recessed output and rectifier sockets on my SET amp and really see no difference. Granted, seeing with your own eyes is different from viewing a photo, but it looks to me like pulling out your 350s from their sockets shouldn't be a major issue. I'm not saying it isn't, natch, but it looks to me like it shouldn't be that hard. Maybe the holes in your sockets are tighter than most, I dunno...

I agree, pushing and pulling tubes to and from their sockets by the glass bottles doesn't sit well with me either! With my 300Bs and GZ37 I grasp the top edge of their bases for insertion and removal. Actually, I do that to all my tubes in any component...I never want to pull the glass away from its base (the very thought of that sends chills down my spine)! Can you not grab your output tubes from their bases?

Nice pic of the bez. My tube sockets might be a tad lower than yours. Maybe I am approaching this the wrong way. I may get a pair of hemostats next time the tubes are out and pry the tube sockets just a little bit out. I know they need to be tight but this is crazy tight. Do they make tube lube? :)

Great pictures of the Onix as well. I wonder if contact cleaner or even WD-40 or something similar can be sprayed into the socket holes? No K-Y lube, thank you! I wonder if there's a small device created especially to be inserted and slightly open up the pins inside each tube socket hole that one can buy to rectify extremely tight sockets? I would think Craig and others in the repair/restoration business would know if such a device exists. I'd ask before sticking a tiny jewler's screwdriver in those holes and possibly damaging them!