mdbrien

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Just a heads up, the first pair I sold (but the winner never paid) and now relisted. Once those are gone, I will list the pair that are missing the plaque and one side grille (we do not have the replacement parts)

Just a heads up, the first pair I sold (but the winner never paid) and now relisted. Once those are gone, I will list the pair that are missing the plaque and one side grille (we do not have the replacement parts)

I saw them...closing soon and the price looks great...if I only had room for a second pair.

Thanks for the kind words IndyKlipschFan!

They are truly amazing! Sound and beauty!

It's still hard to believe that they are mine! If anyone is near the New Orleans area and has never had the opportunity to see or hear a pair of 60th Anniversary Khorns, let me know so we can set something up.

I bought the other pair auctioned by Amy. I am a new member of the forum, but have been lurking for years. I previously owned a pair of '82 Khorns. They were beat up pretty badly (cosmetically), so I sold them after five years (for what I paid for them).

I am looking for a new amp to drive the 60th with. I have a Sonic-T, and a Dynaco 70 to use in the meantime. I also have a Quad 909 (which will be up for sale in a few days with the Quad 988's). Going from the Khorns to the Quads, then back to the Khorns will be tough. So why am I going back to Khorns? I guess what I missed the most about the horns was the sound of the horn-loaded bass and the size of the image. Plus the wife was sick of the ESL's sitting out in the middle of the room. I also like SET amps.

On my previous Khorns I used Cary 300se monoblocks. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should use with the 60th? Or should I just try the McIntosh 275 and be happy? I listen mostly to vinyl, but I also have a Squeezebox for digital. I prefer tubes and SET.

I will post photos when I get them. They should be on the truck soon. Thanks Amy!

cpreal

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a new amp to drive the 60th with

I don't know what kind of power you want and I'm sure you'll get 1,000 opinions...

I had some McIntosh MC-30's, sounded great but sold them. Had some Wright 2A3's, sounded great but sold them too. Had a McIntosh MC-2102, sounded great and sold it. Interestingly, I had some Transcendent SE-OTL amps (single ended, output transformer less) and liked the sound out of those the most. They were the most real & natural sounding amp (to me) of all of them...their shortcoming? only had 4 watts per channel. That was simply NOT enough power for me so I sold them too.

I've been debating on going back to an OTL amp but buying their bigger brother.

If you can live with 4 watts, I'd say get a pair of those and bridge them