Equalizer

mdbrien

I use an equalizer every now and then when using my old cassette tapes, yes guys, those small plastic cases with 2 sprocket type wheels inside...

I bypass when listening to cds and other equipment, bypass switch is useful when wanting to hear how the speakers interpret the sound alone.

I use mine with the 30hz. bumped up +6 db with a separate amp/compander/expander driving the K-horns. The sub, center channel, and side/surrounds are driven by the 7.1 amp (which also drives the K-horn system) . The system is checked from 19hz to 12.5 khz with the SPL around 98 db. I can't hear anything above 12.5 khz because of old ears.

JJK

I've always had one, not always used it. I've got a dbx 14/10 and though it's sitting 'in' the system, "IN" is defined as physically sitting in the mix of equipment...it's not plugged in nor patched in and though I HAVE used it, I've not used it much.

I pulled it out of storage and put into the system when I found I had a 90 hz standing node in my room. This EQ happens to have a slider at 90 so I was able to drop that down a couple db's and help eliminate some muddiness in the room.

I've since come to understand that doing it that way wasn't the best way to do it because I was actually CUTTING information that the system was putting out at 90 hz... aside from that, it DID help clean up the muddy sound.

I've since come to realize that because I now have the Dx-38 in the system, it has its own EQ and if I ever needed to do a baby tweek like that, I could simply do it within the Dx so I removed the dbx.

Has a bunch of pretty blinking lights though [<:o)]

Guest srobak

I pulled it out of storage and put into the system when I found I had a 90 hz standing node in my room. This EQ happens to have a slider at 90 so I was able to drop that down a couple db's and help eliminate some muddiness in the room.

Oh my GOD! Do you have any idea how much POLAR LOBING you are inducing?!?!?! Those 2 or 3 degrees are going to radically alter the staging and presence of your sound! It will be completely different from how the artist (read: recording engineer) wanted you to hear it, nevermind you wanting to listen to it in a way that pleases and sounds good to you, cause that's not at all important.

*laugh*

Anyhow... I let my HK 645 handle my eq'ing of my system, and I have to say it did a pretty damn nice job. I did bump up the sub a couple notches in gain after it was all set, but otherwise - no complaints out of my RF35s. Sounds pretty perfect to me. Now, when doing live gigs... I have no choice but to eq :)

About a year or so ago I picked up a Behringer DEQ2496. It will do various types of EQ (with great frequency resolution too), noise reduction, expansion etc. Read the manual and if you can, definitely use the digital inputs.

My conclusion:

It was a great day since the unit has so many knobs, dials, and things that can be adjusted.

It was a terrible day since the unit has so many knobs, dials, and things that can be adjusted.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Post script: If you are on the fence about this, the Behringer is less than $300 new. Others with comparable features (although perhaps better quaity) will be at least 10 times the price (new prices).

In 1980, I bought an Audio Control C-101 EQ with pink noise generator and spectrum analyzer. I liked using it with my SS gear. Once I switched over to tubes, I took it out of the system and its been on a shelf ever since. I suppose I'll ebay it one of these days.