Looking to purchase a blue ray

brokenarrow1

Do what I did, get a PS3. You can get them new for $400+ depending on the gigabyte size of the hard drive. I bought a used 60gig PS3 on eBay because the original 20 and 60 gig units will also play every PS2 game made.

Even if you never intend to play video games on it, buying a PS3 will usually be quite a bit less expensive than a standalone Blu-Ray player.

FYI* A new Sony PS3 unit will be out sometime this month...Wait a bit and see if prices of the others drop.

Do NOT buy the lower Blue ray machine DVD/ player... There are 3 models.. And most do not know this it is an entry level machine. So off I went to the Sony store to get all the lowdown... What did I learn? The upper two are a MAJOR imrovements over the 399 model.

Other than a "Sony" Blue Ray machine look on the other sites. Samsung etc., and others make a good one as well.

The new one is supposed to have more memory and be backwards compatible too. More insides like the upper level Blue Ray Machines I was told by the guy at the Sony Store.

That's all I know.

+ 1 for the PS3.

Its is the ONLY future proof player on the market. When profile 2.0 becomes standard, countless players will be bricked in regards to accessing newer content.

Shame HD-DVD died.

@ Indy

The newer machines will probably have a larger HD which serves no real practical purpose. Have a PS3 and want a larger HD? Switch it our yourself and do not wait for another SKU to roll around.

In terms of BC, Sony has made a clown of themselves. Good Ole GrandDad Ken lamblasted MS for their limited software emulation of certain titles on the 360 claiming that Sony, master of all that is good would include full hardware based decoding of all previous gen titles, PS 1 n 2. Unfortunatley, the cost factor severely wounded Sony which, in the 2nd round of PS3's threw out full hardware based BC leaving a bit of poo on Sony's face in the eye of countless gamers and many others scrambling to find 1st gen PS3 for their precious gaming needs. Alas, rumor has it that Sony is going the full software emulation route, the one chosen by MS which has proven rather succesful. Unfortunatley for Sony, there is no grace for any of their actions, only shame and a horde of gamers, pointing figners and laughing at them like the dejected kid on the school playground that they are.

Whew, so how's everyone doing today? [:P]

If you do not care for the new lossless and DTS HD Master formats get the PS3 best bang for the buck, now if you want the new sound formats the only player out there that will decode them and pass them thru 1.3a hdmi (you will need hdmi 1.3 for the new formats) is the Pioneer Elite BDP-95fd, trust me been there done that the Sony BD players will not play DTS HD Master, you can also get the new Denon but that one is a BD transport, so you will need the latest AV Receiver out there with hdmi 1.3 and decoders for all the new formats.

+ 1 for the PS3.

Its is the ONLY future proof player on the market. When profile 2.0 becomes standard, countless players will be bricked in regards to accessing newer content.

Shame HD-DVD died.

What he said... Profile 2 is out this week I believe.

I don't know lot's about em; but.....The ps3 sounds ok.For me though,I purchased the Panasonic xx30,about $479,it's touted by some to be the best player available now.I wouldn't know as I (a)don't have it yet)(b)have no frame of reference anyway).There is much discussion about it on avs etc....The Sony's are not regarded very well and Samsung being sued for non support,ps3 does not do DTS master currently,maybe later(me thinks) so it's the 30 for me and we'll see.

One last thing,the way I understand v2.0 will have built in decoders/analog out?,not needed if avr/prepro is hdmi and format capable,but,is there more?

The first wave of PS3's had the guts of a PS2 inside the PS3 to for full backwards compatibility. Sony has since then ripped out those parts and is rumored to be going to a software emluation model; the same that the 360 has been using since its release.

With software emulation, only a few games will be backwards compatible, vs the entire library Sony so arrogantly boasted of in the months leading up to the PS3's launch.

Hello,

Have to agree the PS3 is currently the best overall Bluray player available
regardless of price. The PS3 is now the only true profile 2.0 on the market
with its newly released firmware. The PS3 will also soon be getting DTS-MA in
an upcoming firmware. The power off/on has is now workable with universal
remotes thanks to a universal usb hub offered from a starter manufacture. I
have installed just about every stand alone player out there and if you want a
very reliable stand alone Bluray DVD player look at the Panasonic BD-30
@499

Hello,

I have installed just about every stand alone player out there and if you want a very reliable stand alone Bluray DVD player look at the Panasonic BD-30 @499

That makes me happy as my BD30 should be at my doorstep any minute.

Hey Fish,

Make sure you download and install the latest firmware on the BD30 if its not already installed. The latest firmware will correct an LFE error and some playback issues with certain disks. After this firmware update is completed you will have a near flawless Bluray player. This is something very few early adopters can brag about. Below is a link to firmware updates for many Bluray players, select BD30 and follow the instructions.

Regards,

Ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/firmware/

Blu-ray: Early adopters knew what they were getting into

By Nate Mook, BetaNews

January 8, 2008, 8:16 PM

When BetaNews asked developers of BD Live
whether they were concerned about a backlash from early adopters who
supported the format from the beginning, we were told: "They knew what
they were getting into."

BDA President Andy Parsons echoed that
sentiment at the Blu-ray press conference Monday, telling BetaNews that
it's normal for new technology to change and older hardware to become
obsolete. He added that early Blu-ray owners can continue to do
everything they could in the beginning: watch movies in high-definition.

Source

This is a good description of the different profiles but the
writer failed to mention that the PS3 is currently a profile 2.0 Bluray
player. Although the PS3 is technically a gaming machine and not a stand
alone player I thought this should be noted. As for early adoption I am
enjoying the Bluray format today. In the years to come we will most likely be
streaming our 1080p and beyond media from the internet. There will be no need
to get up, go out and rent or buy media as an option for purchase will be
available for download on the media server that will replace your DVD player
and Satellite/Cable set top box.

Hey Fish,

Make sure you download and install the latest firmware on the BD30 if its not already installed. The latest firmware will correct an LFE error and some playback issues with certain disks. After this firmware update is completed you will have a near flawless Bluray player. This is something very few early adopters can brag about. Below is a link to firmware updates for many Bluray players, select BD30 and follow the instructions.

Regards,

Ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/firmware/

Thanks Ray,much appreciated.The player I got had a cosmetic issue and I returned it,no other in stock.I guess that gives me a little more time.