OT: Vietnam Veterans Memorial

Daddy Dee

I once worked with a retired Navy pilot. He and our boss were up in the D.C. area on business, when the boss told him they could swing by the Viet Nam Memorial. The boss man couldn't understand why he wouldn't go. "Someday," he said, "but not now..."

On my way home from church today, I heard this song by Eric Bogle. It's scalled Hallowed Ground. Another time, another place, another war.

http://ericbogle.net/lyrics/lyricspdf/hallowedground.pdf

"Someday," he said, "but not now..."

Each Viet Vet has to reach that point within themselves ............... I have seen a "Traveling Viet Wall Memorial", very moving, turned up some emotions, but I am now ready to make my trip to "The Wall", give my RESPECTS and a FINALE SALUTE, and Carry On, if you will.

Never Forget The M.I.A.'S and P.O.W'S. ............

Never been to DC (cesspool on the potomac). My dad went to Vietnam three times and i remember watching the news every night when they ran the names of the confirmed dead that day. I saw a documentary on the building of the monument, even on film you can tell it is one of the if not the most effective war monument ever built.

To stand, face the wall and view the names was a tough thing for me. To see the names of the dead, the "cream of the crop" of my generation was overwhelming for me. To have my name on that wall, to come back half a man or maimed does not matter anymore. "You don't have to like it, you don't have to pull the trigger, but you do have to show up". I didn't show up and will regret it till the day I die.

tc

I once worked with a retired Navy pilot. He and our boss were up in the D.C. area on business, when the boss told him they could swing by the Viet Nam Memorial. The boss man couldn't understand why he wouldn't go. "Someday," he said, "but not now..."

On my way home from church today, I heard this song by Eric Bogle. It's scalled Hallowed Ground. Another time, another place, another war.

http://ericbogle.net/lyrics/lyricspdf/hallowedground.pdf

Does it for me Bruce. Just Beautiful.

tc

I've been to two Vietnam Vet Memorials and what strikes me most are the names. The heritage behind the names. It seems so many American people with so many diverse backgrounds from Native American to South American to European to African to names I couldn't figure out where they were from. It really made me think and still does. American is more than Smith and Jones. It is one of my favorite things about this country.

That you have to descend down into the Earth to read the names of the dead is a very effective device. I don't know if it's possible to make it to the apex without openly sobbing. I couldn't. I grew up with those body counts over the evening news and didn't understand fully what war was at the time.

I know men who where there. They are not as they once were.

M

• Moderators

Went to the one in Washington, it's a very hard memorial to visit, if you go you will see what I mean, Arlington Cemetery was the second hardest to visit, the rest were just monuments.

I have seen the moving wall and the one in Washington...there is a name on there who is responsible for me working in the town I work in...my Dad was the Major who had to tell the family someone wasn't coming home in 1968...I still don't know how he was able to do that day after day after day...our family became very close with theirs after that...R.I.P. Jack...R.I.P. all of you who have given the ultimate sacrifice for us and thanks to all the Vets for your Service...

Bill

I've seen it. It literally ate me up and left me in a pile on the ground. I took my best friends mother to see her son's name on the wall. Too many familiar names.

Justice would have many more names on the Wall if the full toll of the 'Nam is actually counted. Many never came home mentally, some who came home died of the effects of defoliant sprayings, wounded came home and died at later dates. Many of our medical and support personel didn't make the roll call either. They are also heroes and deserve the status given to the 58K plus on the wall.

These names will not be listed on the Wall. Just because their bodies didn't fall on Vietnamese, Cambodian, or Laotian soil doesn't mean the 'Nam didn't kill them.

The sacrifices of Americans serving their country should be respected. It seems all too common to take for granted what the cost of our freedom is.

Look at the cost. It's clearly engraved on the wall. Still "hidden costs" showing up in the obits daily. POW-MIA forever in our hearts and minds. We'll meet again soon. "Save me a seat and order me a cold one".

Semper Fi,

K, 3/9, L, 3/3, I, 3/3, M, 3/4, 0311, walked in '67-'69 carried out on a litter. 17-21-10. If not for luck and the grace of God...

HarryO. "O" ?, well it don't mean nothin'.

Harry

The first time I heard this song by John Gorka, I wept. I do most every time I hear it. Let Them In was made into song by John from a poem found in a hospital in the Philippines during World War II. The nurse that found the poem kept it all these years until the recent war brought out all the memorabilia. Luckily, her daughter sent a copy to John.

Let Them In
by John Gorka

"Let them in, Peter
They are very tired
Give them couches where the angels sleep
And light those fires

Let them wake whole again
To brand new dawns
Fired by the sun not wartime's
Bloody guns

May their peace be deep
Remember where the broken bodies lie