Jubilees at London Audio Show

dhtman

This is a sequel to the "My Jubilee Adventure" post from fall 2006.

I have been dabbling in turntable/arm/cartridge set up for a long time and the Jubilees were attractive because they are very revealing of set-up errors. I also figured that demonstrating my work would be enhanced with such distinguished speakers.

Things have moved on since then and my activity has evolved into importing several niche US audio brands to the UK. To the extent that I have been exhibiting at the London Heathrow Hi Fi Show this weekend.

The room looks like this:

Artisan Audio room at Heathrow

I have posted announcements on three UK audio discussion boards and there has been a gentle build up of curiosity.

I was pretty confident after setting up last night because I knew I had got the cartridge absolutely spot-on. The room is fairly well damped and not too lively. Today though we did have a problem with a buzz, caused by a loose window fitting, but I have to watch the levels and resist the temptation to turn up the wick!

Today was the first day, and after the first hour our room was full through til late afternoon. Because the speakers sound different to small boxes (the UK norm) I was anticipating that people wouldn't get it. In actual fact, from the hundreds who came through, I had four critical and conflicting comments, which I think says as much about their preferences as our show system.

Several people said they thought we had the best room in the show and judging from the length of time people were staying and the numbers who kept coming back, that's really encouraging. My favourite comment was from a German gentleman who said "It's exceptional. Anyone with ears would tell that. That's if they used their ears that is!"

I decided to risk injury and run the expense of hiring a larger vehicle to ship them to the show because I knew they would create an impression. I predicted that people who like their music to sound live and dynamic, with emotion would love them. And those for whom listening to music is a cerebral and analytical process would not. Thanks to the quality of the accompanying electronics and turntable I think we've achieved an outcome where people have recognised the quality of all the components in the system. And they will remember the name Artisan Audio. I couldn't have asked for more!

dhtman

Which brands? Galibier Design turntables, Quicksilver Audio amplification, the Soundsmith range of cartridges, electronics and loudspeakers, and most recently Discovery Cables. There are some outstanding audio innovators in the US who really work hard to push the boundaries and I'm really pleased to be working with this group.

Whilst there is some truly woeful audio manufactured in the US, there is also some of the very best. The challenge is the commercial nature of the business - where your product is only as good as your advertising spend! :) The best products are never advertised!

dhtman

Brilliant! It's great that the showgoers get to see your gear and the Jubilees! I'd think they'd be very impressed with the cost/performance ratio, or value for money, of the Jubilees, relative to a lot of other high end speakers.

Dhtman, that's very cool and I wish you all the best at the show and beyond. I've been to that show a number of times as a visitor and always wanted to find a way to expose the audience to the Klipsch sound. We've had a tough go in the UK but things are starting to shake loose and we may finally get some Klipsch into the market. That the showgoers had a chance to experience the Jubilee is very special.

Thanks again and let us know how the rest of the show goes.

Day two went really well again. I had so many comments that our system sounded closer to real live music than anything else. I must also say that with the system we were using, the Jubilees are viciously intolerant of mediocre recordings. I played some CDs that visitors brought in and some of them sounded terrible - obviously distorted vocals, abysmal sibilants. Sadly the people who brought these along will have decided that my system was poor!

Here's a direct quote from "Technobear" on the hifiwigwam board:

"The Klipsch Jubilee cinema speakers in the Artisan Audio room were superb. So naturally, effortlessly good. If you have a room that can accommodate these, they are a must hear at the price.The rest of the kit was clearly up to the job. I've never heard of Soundsmith or Artisan or Galibier before but I think we'll be hearing those names some more in future if this was anything to go by. Very good."

Warms the cockles of my heart! :)

dhtman

Warms the cockles of my heart! :)

You ain't from around these parts are you...[*-)]

Wonderful way to get the word out. How many of the Jubilees will have to be sold to individuals before thy start selling them as home speakers?

"I had so many comments that our system sounded closer to real live
music than anything else."

"...I must also say that with the system we were using, the
Jubilees are viciously intolerant of mediocre recordings..."

"I played some CDs that visitors brought in and some of them sounded
terrible - obviously distorted vocals, abysmal sibilants."

"Sadly the people who brought these along will have decided that my
system was poor!"

dhtman

You are not alone in your experience with source material. Actually that was the subject that started my thinking on this thread: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/102234.aspx. Apparently, the problem is that not very many have experienced this effect, maybe due to the fact that the actual number of Jubilee listeners is still fairly small compared to even the regular audience of enthusiasts here.

Chris

I thought the issues with source material was just part of a highly efficient horn system. It has been the case with my Belles and Klipschorns and the Jubilee's are just abit more efficient than these. I prefer revealing systems myself.

Thanks Mark.

The system was: Galibier Gavia belt drive turntable, fitted with an Artisan Audio Capriccio tone arm. The phono cartridge was the Soundsmith SG-610 strain gauge cartridge/preamp system. Amplification was by Quicksilver Audio - the new(ish) Full Function Preamp and 300B Single Ended monoblocks. Interconnects were Petra Music Boys and the speaker cable was Van Damme Studio Blue. No power conditioning or fancy IEC cables.

dhtman

Dhtman, that's very cool and I wish you all the best at the show and beyond. I've been to that show a number of times as a visitor and always wanted to find a way to expose the audience to the Klipsch sound. We've had a tough go in the UK but things are starting to shake loose and we may finally get some Klipsch into the market. That the showgoers had a chance to experience the Jubilee is very special.

Thanks again and let us know how the rest of the show goes.

Thanks for your support Bob. I've posted here previously that I was blown away by the La Scalas I heard at the Heathrow show about 30 years ago. UK audiophiles were very insular back then and there is less resistance to "foreign" manufacturers now.

Having worked in several US-owned corporations (and consulted to a few more) I can understand how Klipsch found it tough to break into this market. Just because we speak the same language (almost) the psychology is quite different. You would never be successful here by replicating your home market business model in the UK!

If someone at Klipsch wants to discuss my thoughts and ideas, I would be very happy to engage. I'm a real fan of the Klipsch brand and would love to see the company build more of a presence in the UK hi fi market.

• 3 weeks later...

...Just because we speak the same language (almost) the psychology is quite
different. You would never be successful here by replicating your home
market business model in the UK!

dhtman: Can you relate any differences in U.S. vs. U.K. buyer's psychology that you can share on
this forum?

For instance, U.S.
speaker buyers tend to compromise sound based on size of the speakers (i.e.,
smaller is better), and pour a lot of money into electronic gear and turntables
instead of balancing their investments first based on traditional weak links -
speakers and room acoustics. Additionally, many U.S. audiophiles tend to prefer a
certain "audiophile sound" that doesn't necessarily replicate
itself in live performances. We’ve
discussed on this forum that subwoofer harmonic distortion, e.g., driver
compression, is actually preferred over clean low-distortion reproducers like Jubilees.

Branding is an interesting subject, too.
Some audio equipment manufacturers are avoided here due to past “low end market”
association while other brands that may only be known to audiophiles seem to
sell equipment regardless of price or demonstrated capability – instead marketed
based on product features/looks with sometimes outrageous prices.

Does any of this enter into the U.K. marketing picture. What is different? Is it the same across Europe?

Chris A.