XTI 1000....My Turn to Stir The Pot!!!

SWL

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard some pretty big differences in amplifiers, and I don't think I'll ever be convinced that everything discernable is measureable. I also don't believe the differences in rooms will necessarily swamp the differences between gear -- we used to do a lot of that kind of thing back in the day -- dragging gear back and forth between each other's homes for comparisons and shootouts -- and the character of a piece always managed to remain intact. Finally, some gear just seems to work better with certain loudspeakers, and without question -- like loudspeakers, some amps will do more justice to poor recordings than some others. Like the Jubilee, the XTi will do an excellent job with good recordings, but it will mince your ears with anything but the best recorded material at higher SPLs. Not the amp to buy if 90% of your stuff is like 90% of my stuff. :)

I've heard some pretty big differences in amplifiers, and I don't think I'll ever be convinced that everything discernable is measureable. I also don't believe the differences in rooms will necessarily swamp the differences between gear -- we used to do a lot of that kind of thing back in the day -- dragging gear back and forth between each other's homes for comparisons and shootouts -- and the character of a piece always managed to remain intact. Finally, some gear just seems to work better with certain loudspeakers, and without question -- like loudspeakers, some amps will do more justice to poor recordings than some others. Like the Jubilee, the XTi will do an excellent job with good recordings, but it will mince your ears with anything but the best recorded material at higher SPLs. Not the amp to buy if 90% of your stuff is like 90% of my stuff. :)

All the more reason to treat the room and concentrate on placement, location etc. The material I listen to 50% of the time will rip your face off if it's not tamed.

I just went through an hour of a mix of Godsmack, Disturbed, Rob Zombie and Tool. Smiggin' of Cameo. Peach, McIntosh Mc252 and LSII's. No room treatment, no EQ, or speaker repositioning. Very loud! Wife and kids on Spring Break at the Beach. Home alone.

Sounded awesome. No changes needed.

Moving on to the next test run......different system.

jc

I just went through an hour of a mix of Godsmack, Disturbed, Rob Zombie and Tool. Smiggin' of Cameo. Peach, McIntosh Mc252 and LSII's. No room treatment, no EQ, or speaker repositioning. Very loud! Wife and kids on Spring Break at the Beach. Home alone.

jc

I had the same opportunity today. Life is good. The Godsmack "Changes" DVD puts asses in the seats at my house......(dual drum solo)[Y]

The material I listen to 50% of the time will rip your face off if it's not tamed.

I hear ya. I got Jubilees, and like Klipschorns, they just work better near the corners -- so not a lot of placement options. I have a heavily carpeted room and I've treated for the first refection off the side walls and ceiling -- that stuff still sounds nasty when pushed, and it don't matter what kind of amp you use. Switching amps just gives you varying degrees of awful -- you get better bad to really bad. What I do is just keep the volume down with that kind of stuff. BTW, reworking the networks with better caps helps quite a bit. If you like to crank some of that stuff -- get away from CD. I've got quite a bit now on DVD and it's awesome.

jc

I had the same opportunity today. Life is good. The Godsmack "Changes" DVD puts asses in the seats at my house......(dual drum solo)Yes

I don't own that but I heard and saw the drum solo at a stereo/theater store. very cool.

jc

Godsmack kind of grates on my nerves -- it all sounds the same

How about System of a Down -- anyone here got a nervous system that can handle them? I think they're incredible.

Yep,

That mix had "Aerials". Is that considered a bad recording?

jc

The material I listen to 50% of the time will rip your face off if it's not tamed.

I hear ya. I got Jubilees, and like Klipschorns, they just work better near the corners -- so not a lot of placement options. I have a heavily carpeted room and I've treated for the first refection off the side walls and ceiling -- that stuff still sounds nasty when pushed, and it don't matter what kind of amp you use. Switching amps just gives you varying degrees of awful -- you get better bad to really bad. What I do is just keep the volume down with that kind of stuff. BTW, reworking the networks with better caps helps quite a bit. If you like to crank some of that stuff -- get away from CD. I've got quite a bit now on DVD and it's awesome.

You'll be hearing from me.........I've got four 7's.

Ummmm......different CD player ....maybe one with tubes? Some of can listen to Rob Zombie at high cranking levels and not cringe...........[:D]

Then again, I also do not do titanium any more. My Beymas sit idle.

Carl.

Mike B. Please man....I don't want this to turn into a circus. I can comment about what you said but it will lead down a path of off topic discussion. If you think that bad recording was the reason of my findings...then you are welcome to send me private messages. I'm not gonna change what I listen too just so I can listen to amps that work with that music.

I'm not blaiming it on 'only' the recordings, but I gotta imagine the combo (XTi + Metal) would be nasty as all get out...I like the XTi and I like metal, but the synergy is all off - I probably wouldn't stick with the combo either.

Btw, "Aerial" by System of a Down isn't really a great recording - the music and mix is pretty cool, but it's mastered for mass market.

Hi JC

I agree, if the XTi sounds bad driving your system, then by all means get rid of it or use it to drive your subwoofer. After reading your comments to SWL on your experiance in listening, I can completly understand your dislike. Room treatment would not be the answer. In my own case, I find the XTi with the RF-7s to be less than optimal, where it works much better IME driving the Cornwalls. I love my music server too, rarely use the CD player anymore.