What year Cornwalls are best?

arfandbark

If you study this forum for a while, you will learn that the best years for all Klipsch Heritage Series speaker cabinets including the Cornwall model were those cabinets manufactured between mid 1977 and 1982 due to their superior craftsmanship, materials, & more attractive furniture grade cabinetry and fine hardwood veneers.

Prior to mid-1977 (when Klipsch started using the much higher-quality void-free Baltic Birch solid lumbercore plywood which was vastly superior acoustically), Klipsch just used standard-grade Fir plywood for cabinet construction.

Furthermore, the drivers and especially the crossovers Klipsch installed during this same time period were the best to date, especially those with the AlNiCo magnet drivers.

You may notice that almost all of the 29 matched pairs of Klipsch Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, and Klipschorn speakers I currently own are 1982 and older (and they all would be if it were not for three $50.00 pairs of 1983-1985 model Heresy speakers, a mint pair of 1984 Oak Cornwall with Cane grills for $250.00, and 1989 KB-WL Klipschorn pair for $700.00).

I do study this forum, Corvette 6769.

I treat it like the morning paper, whether that's right or wrong. Fun to read.

Your opinion is valued very much.

I was just blowing smoke regarding my speakers. I enjoy them very much, however.

Back to my corner I go...

hey corvette, couple questions. out of your impressive collection which set or sets is your most prized set. did you buy any new from klipsch and i see you don't have any belles. any reason for that. i think the belle is the best looking speaker they ever made. thanks

hey corvette, couple questions. out of your impressive collection which set or sets is your most prized set. did you buy any new from klipsch and i see you don't have any belles. any reason for that. i think the belle is the best looking speaker they ever made. thanks

As you may know, the Belle Klipsch was a compromise that Paul Klipsch made for his wife Belle (hence the model name) because he wanted a center speaker to use between two Klipschorn speakers to reproduce live symphony music in his living room. What he did was take and modify the La Scala PA speaker to create the Belle Klipsch. Since the center channel carries almost no lower frequency programming, a PA speaker was perfect for this use and the Belle Klipsch with its cloth grills (that the La Scala did not have) met the approval of his wife for use in their home. The down side was that the Klipschorn/La Scala K-400 midrange horn was shortened to make the cabinet 5” shallower (once again, cosmetics over performance controlled the design to please his wife) and as a result the Belle Klipsch K-500 horn limits the midrange to 500 Hz. The first thing you may have noticed when you listened to the Belle Klipsch speakers is that they are notoriously weak in the bottom end as compared to most other Klipsch speakers because they fall off so quickly below 100 Hz and require a subwoofer for home theater or music to get the full sound spectrum. Since the Belle Klipsch has been in production since 1971, many different configurations of this speaker exist and depending on the exact year and model Belle Klipsch, this may be even more pronounced. The reason for this is simply that the Belle Klipsch was designed as a Public Address system speaker used in an area much larger than found in most homes. Since the Belle Klipsch is a Public Address system speaker intended to amplify speech, it does not need to go as low as music or cinema to accurately reproduce voices. Many of the more modern looking speakers like the Klipsch Forte II and Klipsch Chorus II will easily outperform the Belle Klipsch in home stereo and Home theater applications, and take up far less floor space. For the same reason, I am not a big fan of the La Scala.

As far as my favorite Klipsch speakers, they are like children, I love them all for different reasons, but I must say that my Klipschorn speakers are at the top of the list. Nothing I have ever heard can compete with the Klipschorn when fed by a good clean high-powered amplifier.

Forte II and Chorus II out perform My 1974 Belle Klipsch I don't think so.They image a helluva lot better and take a lot less power.You can't get the same sound out of a smaller box.They must have been a fairly good speaker as they were used in Radio City Music Hall New York for several years.You are also using soild state amplification which greatly misses the mark on the belles.Try 2 Marantz Model 9"s and call me.