Another Jubilee Post

whatever55

The mc252 isn't truly balanced like the mc352. I have a mc252 and love it.

For some reason, the mc352 doesn't have the usual rock solid reviews like other MAC amps on audioreview.com.

Are you gonna do passives?

jc

FWIW. I'm getting ready to sell my Mc275 tube amp if anyone is interested. Bought it new and is only 6 months old. Low hours

Still being haunted by the sound of the Xti's eh? Devil

Are you trying to stir things up there Richard? No the XTi wasn't my favorite on my La Scalas but is doing a fine job as my sub amp. The Mc252 is my home champ for the time being. I just don't have a need for this Mc275 right now and is just sitting there.

jc

Whatever,

I just realized something else. The Mc352 doesn't have the "3-D" front design and has "bulbs". I hate bulbs. However, appearance may not be an issue.

Have you thought of getting two Mc252's and monoblocking?

jc

I've actually seen that first hand on a tweeter tower of Emmits[:D] But on the other hand my Las tweeters run fine with a 10 Watt amp + the other drivers[:|]

Now you do have to have enough power to have real crisp and clear highs up to about 225db or else you could rip your tweeters apart with lack of power distortion[li]

I gotta admit fellas, I am mystified by the strategy of putting a 250W amplifier on a tweeter. I've been doing audio for 40 years and I can't figure this one out!Indifferent

Mark,

I purposely don't equate more watts to better sound...esp with a "tweeter". Unfortunately, McIntosh doesn't make a lower powered SS amp that the Mc252 (250wpc). There is no market for it as typically their amps are matched with B & W, Wilson and other stuff.

Their modern day SS sound very good. A hot seller of theirs is the MDA1000 DAC unit matched with Mc510 monoblocks (500watts each). Just as Klipsch matched the Mc402 (400wpc) with their Palladium introduction.

The blue meters don't move much on Horns....but they sound good to me.

jc

I've never heard meters...

[A]

I HAVE (while OUT of the room I might clearly point out) had the meters on my 2102 pegged (100 watts) on my 402's.

System was up loud (obviously), I was downstairs using a pneumatic nailer so I had hearing protection on...consequently, I had the stereo up even louder so I could hear it above the noise I was creating downstairs....

Then a change of CD's and the new one must have been recorded 1,000 db's hotter than the first because the sound just became thunderous upstairs, even through -26db ear muffs. Went upstairs to turn things down and saw the meters on the 2102... not moving... simply pegged to the right at a standstill.

I might add that I kept my hearing protection on as I went into the room as I knew from downstairs it was going to be some serious volume.

I sure felt the pelting of the drums though

icon-quote.gif
mdeneen:

I gotta admit fellas, I am mystified by the strategy of putting a 250W amplifier on a tweeter. I've been doing audio for 40 years and I can't figure this one out!
Indifferent

I agree. I'm using a 500Wpc amplifier with my tweeters.

It seemed logical, since it matches the amp that's driving the woofers. Interestingly, the tweeter amp seems to run a little warmer than the woofer amp, although "warm" in this case means barely above room temperature.

Right now I'm listening to James Taylor at about 70dB and probably using a few tenths of a watt, but the available headroom...

• Moderators

Angel

I HAVE (while OUT of the room I might clearly point out) had the meters on my 2102 pegged (100 watts) on my 402's.

System was up loud (obviously), I was downstairs using a pneumatic nailer so I had hearing protection on...consequently, I had the stereo up even louder so I could hear it above the noise I was creating downstairs....

Then a change of CD's and the new one must have been recorded 1,000 db's hotter than the first because the sound just became thunderous upstairs, even through -26db ear muffs. Went upstairs to turn things down and saw the meters on the 2102... not moving... simply pegged to the right at a standstill.

I might add that I kept my hearing protection on as I went into the room as I knew from downstairs it was going to be some serious volume.

I bet there is not one bug or mouse within 50' of your house,................. that has any hearing left.

When you head to the stereo does the dog's head for the woods ?

Just when I thought I had heard everything.

After meeting Richard for the first time in Hope '06 I do not find this scenario surprizing[:o] LOL Now I will also admit Richard has come a long way from those MC-30's he brought[;)]

Angel

I am saying a prayer for your ears tonight.

I'm pretty sure Richard put those up for around $2,800.00 after Hope when he started on his quest to hear his system while running nail guns in his basement[:o] LOL

I know they sounded very sweet on Me Love's freshly Crites prepped K-Horns in the wittle room. I may be wrong but I thought that was the direction he left Hope in! Richard?

But what killed me more than that one (I'm also pretty sure Richards had been worked over by Terry DeWick?) was when my bud Seti sold his Canary SET's[:'(] In the top three 8 Watt SET's Ive ever heard and possibly some of the best tube build (WE Spec) I've ever seen[Y]