My recent trip to Russia has put a new "spin" on things

greg928gts

I'll recap a little here for those who don't visit the General Questions forum.

Last year I restored and sold a pair of Khorns to a guy in Russia. Sergei and I exchanged hundreds of emails and became good friends online. He invited me to visit him in Russia, at his expense. After a little hesitation and some coaxing by other forum members, I decided I couldn't refuse!

I have been and returned from my 10 days in Russia, and I'll have lifetime memories of this fantastic trip.

The purpose of this thread is to show off my new turntable! It is Sergei's old turntable and he insisted that I have it. It was interesting getting it through customs!

I think it's a pretty nice table. [;)] Transrotor New Custom; the phono preamp is a Clearaudio Balance Reference, and the cartridge is a Van Den Hul.

Greg

post-11090-13819367696958_thumb.jpg

Man Greg, that is a beautiful turn table! How cool of him to give that to you.

I have been following your other thread and sounds like you had an amazing trip. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Glad the trip went smoothly!

Yeah, I'm really glad I went.

Actually, I didn't see much vodka. I had some in a coffee one time. My host Sergei doesn't drink a drop of any alchoholic beverage.

I only saw one drunk guy. I have to say that I see a lot more alchohol abuse right here in Maine than I saw in Russia. I know guys who think a 12-pack of beer after work is no big deal.

Their coffee is strong over there. It's like Espresso. Actually very good. On the plane ride back, the coffee was so watery by comparison I was drinking it like tea.

We stopped at a cafe in one of the museums and Sergei brought me a coffee, an orange juice, and a glass of brandy. It was all very good!

Greg

That's awesome greg and probably a once in a lifetime deal[;)]

Are you having to convert the PS for the Transrotor to 110V? Serg is one heck of a guy and obviously appreciative of your K-Horns. I think I remember the thread with the crated K-Horns coming off the truck?

Once again this is the place[:D] Enjoy that table, she's a beauty[:P]

If Sergei wanted Greg to have his marvelous "old" turntable, then I can only imagine the kind of turntable that replaced it (and I'd be set for life with the old Transrotor)! Good for you, Greg...enjoy![:)]

He replaced the old table with a new Transrotor. A much bigger one with three motors. I'm trying to get a response from Transrotor about rewiring or using a 230volt 60cycle receptacle, but I can't get them to respond to my emails. It's no problem for me to wire up a 230 volt plug, but it will be 60 cycle instead of 50 and I don't know if that's a problem or not.

It was a GREAT trip and a very interesting place to visit. I can't wait to go back.

The TT was a very nice gift. I'm going to have to wait a bit before I get it set up and working. I don't really have room for it right now. Anyone want to take a guess on what it's worth with the cartridge and phono preamp? It might even be a better deal than free Khorns!

Greg

Though they're pricey, you might see if PS Audio currently has something that generates 50 Hz sine wave power.

I have a now-discontinued P300 which apparently has that capability. There is a used P300 on Audiogon: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?powrcond&1214003140. It's not just a "power conditioner" -- it actually regenerates pure sine-wave power that appears to be a big improvement over the power company. I and one or two others on the forum feel it improves the sonic performance of our turntables.

Some tables like Clearaudio and VPI have their own controllers. Perhaps Transrotor does, too.

Larry

EDIT: Transrotor does make "motor controllers," but I wonder if they couldn't send/sell you a 110-volt/60 Hz motor since they are distributed in the US. Axxis appears to be the distributor, who might be the one to contact: http://www.axissaudio.com/turntables/turnTrans.htm.