Golfers....

Joe Shmoe

I'm looking at getting a new driver. I currently have a Taylor Made R-580 that I bought from a friend, but I tend to fade it when wanting to "lean into it" a bit. It has a regular flex shaft, so I attribute that to the fade, so my solution is to go with a stiff shaft. What would you suggest & why? I do like the Taylor Made line but lately they have flooded the market with so many options... R7, R7 Quad, SuperQuad, CGB Max....ugh!

Joe,

I had the exact same driver and faded it every time. I bought one of those offset Cobras last year and it helped a lot. I can't remember the model but just look for a recent Cobra driver with the offset head for faders like us. Of course it's best to just fix your swing but that takes lessons and practice and such. Who has the time???

I played Saturday with my son who hits his drives about 320. No roll. Just kills it a mile high and a mile long. I pulled up to the clubhouse, got out of the car and as I reached in my trunk to grab my shoes, I threw out my back. Hadn't played a single hole and injured myself reaching for my golf shoes. How pathetic is that? I still played but it was a L O N G day. Getting old just bites.

The Taylor r5 & r7 have a model with a hook face if you want to stay with them. I got rid of my Taylor 2 yrs ago.

The pro at my country club lives with me, no I ain't gay. He always hits the longest driver each yr. This yr it's the Ping G10. I have one ordered.

If it were me I'd work on rolling my wrist to square the club face at impact. Getting equipment to fix swing flaws rarely works. Just MHOBig Smile A stiffer shaft will flex less but is your swing path out to in or in to out?

All very good points

I have a 9 degree Big Bertha with a stiff shaft in Florida, and 10.5 degree Ping G5 with a regular shaft in Virginia that I use, and I like them both. I probably hit the BB a little farhter (and a lot lower), but am able to work the ball a little better with the Ping. Hard to say which one I prefer. They are both pretty good.

Mike

Great Big Bertha is my favorite driver also, but everything else, except the putters, is Taylor Made. Both my putters are Odessy,.... can't really explain it, but they have helped my short game.

Geezus Gary, your boy smacks a 320 yard drive.... holy moly. And yes, getting old sucks rocks.

still using my great big bertha and still loving it.

I have taken lessons in the past. My swing is pretty decent, I know what you are saying about the inside or outside swing paths. It really is the fact that the driver is regular flex that is causing the slice. I probably average 280 or so off the tee, but when I want to put a little more into it the shaft isn't letting the club face square up on impact.

I might look into getting an appt. to have my swing checked for speed etc.. I already had the lie & loft done in the past with my irons and it really did help. You always hear the pros saying not to just buy a set of clubs off the rack, but to get them fitted to you.

I'll have to check out the Ping, I hit a friend of mines G5 I think it was before & seem to hit it pretty well, so maybe the G10 is the answer? Whatever it is it needs to be Stiff.

maybe the G10 is the answer? Whatever it is it needs to be Stiff

Got mine yesterday. 20 yards farther with pro v1x. Technology is crazy. Agree with the stiff. Anyone using a driver 2 yrs old is giving up distance.

Thanks for the update Arky. I will definitely check into the G10. I believe the weather here isn't going to be that great this weekend, so I might head to golf galaxy or somewhere & try it out. Did you order yours with a special shaft or anything, or just stock? What degree?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Arky, I finally made it over to the G.C. where I checked into fitting for a driver. We tried a few different drivers but ended up with the Ping G-10. Going by what the computer/simulator stated, I think the 10.5 TFC Stiff shaft gave me the best launch angle/spin rate. My club head speed probably averaged about 99.something. I think it went as high as 100.5 or so but that was top.

I will probably look into purchasing one once my income tax incentive check comes in [;)] Thanks for your input!