Recent Concert Thread...

I saw the Cure kick off their tour a couple of weeks ago in DC... not a big fan but I enjoyed the show - all 3 hours of it. The friend I was with is a huge fan and he was practically in tears when they came out for the 3rd encore.

A couple of shows are coming up in Baltimore this weekend that should be fun... On Friday, the MARCIN WASILEWSKI TRIO (improvisational jazz - piano/bass/drums) play at An Die Musik and on Saturday, the THREE MAXIMALISTS (progressive saxophones) come to Orion Studios. This will be a pretty exciting show as..."This edition of Thee Maximalists features the amazing Marshall Allen of the

SUN RA ARKESTRA, Dave Newhouse from THE MUFFINS, Elliott Levin from,

well...everywhere, and your old pals and Maxi founders Keith Macksoud of

PRESENT and Paul Sears from THE MUFFINS. It will be an evening of customized

entertainment JUST FOR YOU - never to be repeated..." Besides, it'll be Marshall Allen's birthday - there will be cake!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah... forgot about this thread. Well, last week was fun. My wife and I went to see Squirrel Nut Zippers on Wednesday and Adrian Belew on Friday. SNZ put on a really good show and their music is varied to say the least - Blues, Jug Band, Ragtime Jazz...you name it. Very energetic and eclectic. Adrian Belew and his power trio played the same venue on Friday and they really made it special. The bass and drum players are brother and sister and their father was there, taking pictures and beaming like the proud old hippie he is. They debuted a couple of new tunes and played a few more King Crimson songs in his honor and everyone enjoyed the extra effort. The drummer (brother) was exceptional - really spot on that night. I'd seen Adrian and co. a few months ago at the end of that phase of the tour and compared to Friday night, they seemed tired (although still a great show).

The week before, I went to see Thee Maximalists at Orion Studio and that was an interesting show. A cacophony of saxes - kinda like Ornette Coleman meets No-Wave. The bass and drums kept things moving along...and it was Marshall Allen's (of the Sun Ra Arkestra fame) 84th birthday so there was indeed cake!

On Thursday, a friend and I saw the Whitetop Mountain Band at the Creative Alliance for a evening of pure Appalachia mountain music . This was an All-In-The-Family experience with the father on fiddle, his wife on banjo and vocals, his daughter on guitar and vocals, her fiance on mandolin and a seemingly unrelated woman on upright bass. The assignments weren't hard n' fast as everyone switched instruments throughout ('cept the father - he stuck with the fiddle) and the ladies took turns treating the crowd to real 'flat-foot' mountain dancing - hard to describe but if you've seen 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou', that's it. The show really took me back to the Pollirosa Restaurant in Tobaccoville, NC (no kidding!). They served home cooked food 'family-style' as bands played mountain gospel and bluegrass and folks danced and sang along (where appropriate - the place was full of baptists after all). The WTM band has been around since the 40's and has been handed down through family and generations since but the music hasn't changed much, if at all. A real time capsule of a night - we had a blast!

• 1 month later...
Guest srobak

Upcoming Chicagoland Concerts:

Melissa Etheridge - Chicago Theatre - 8/7
King Crimson - Park West - 8/8
Bette Midler - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 8/8
Fergie - Illinois State Fairgrounds (Springfield) - 8/8
Extreme & Kings X - House Of Blues - 8/8
Smashing Pumpkins - The Venue (Hammond IN) 8/9
Weird Al Yankovic - Illinois State Fairgrounds (Springfield) 8/9
Slipknot & Disturbed - Tinley Park - 8/10
Huey Lewis & The News with Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Illinois State Fairgrounds (Springfield) - 8/10
Scorpions - Northerly Island - 8/10
Weird Al Yankovic - Rockford Metrocentre (Rockford) - 8/10
James Blunt - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 8/11
Ted Nugent - Genesee Theatre (Waukegan) - 8/12
Stone Temple Pilots - US Cellular Coliseum (Bloomington) - 8/13
Ted Nugent - House Of Blues - 8/13
Stone Temple Pilots - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 8/14
Brooks & Dunn with ZZ Top (huh?) - Illinois Fairgrounds (Springfield) - 8/15
Elefante - Congress Theatre - 8/15
Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 8/15
Bel Biv DeVoe, Mint Condition, Ready For The World, Troop - Jones Center @ CSU - 8/16
Billy Idol - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 8/16
Steely Dan - Chicago Theatre - 8/16
Trace Adkins & Trent Tomlinson - Illinois Fairgrounds (Springfield) - 8/17
Judas Priest, Heaven & Hell, Motorhead, Testament - Tinley Park - 8/19
Poison - Prarie Convention Center (Springfield) - 8/19
Alice Cooper - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 8/19
Michael Bolton - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 8/20
Eddie Vedder - Auditorium Theatre - 8/21 & 8/22
Alice Cooper - US Cellular Coliseum (Bloomington) - 8/21
Counting Crows, Maroon 5, Sara Bareilles - Tinley Park - 8/22
Backstreet Boys - US Cellular Coliseum (Bloomington) - 8/22
Kenny Wayne Shepherd - House Of Blues - 8/22
Smashmouth - Cubby Bear - 8/22
Great White, LA Guns, Nelson - Galt Airport (Greenwood) - 8/23
3rd Day, Switchfoot, Robert Randolph, Jars of Clay - Northerly Island - 8/23
Brad Paisley, Julianne Hough, Chuck Wicks, Jewel - Tinley Park - 8/23
George Thorogood & The Destroyers - House Of Blues - 8/23
Paul Anka - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 8/23
Jonas Brothers - Tinley Park - 8/24
Foreigner - Paramount Theatre (Aurora) - 8/24
Allman Brothers Band - Northerly Island - 8/28
Under a Blood Red Sky - House Of Blues - 8/28
Alice Cooper - Genesee Theatre (Waukegan) - 8/29
Sarah Silverman - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 8/29
Billy Bob Thornton - Joes - 8/29
Liza Minnelli - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 8/30
Chicago - Genesee Theatre (Waukegan) - 9/10
Journey, Heart, Cheap Trick - Tinley Park - 9/12
Ice Cube - House Of Blues - 9/13
Alicia Keys - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 9/13
Chicago - US Cellular Coliseum (Bloomington) - 9/16
Vince Gill - Rialto Sq Theatre (Joliet) - 9/18
Charlie Hunter - Lakeshore Theatre - 9/18
Rascal Flatts - Peoria Civic Center - 9/19
Skid Row - Joe's - 9/19
Tracis Tritt & Marty Stuart - Star Plaza Theatre (Merrillville IN) - 9/19
Eagles - United Center - 9/24 & 9/25
Janet Jackson - Allstate Arena - 9/25
Pat Green - House of Blues - 9/26
Bobby Vinton - Genesee Theatre (Waukegan) - 9/27 (seriously???)
Enrique Iglesias - Allstate Arena - 9/27
Gordon Lightfoot - Rialto Square Theatre (Joliet) - 9/28
Nick Cave & Bad Seeds - Riviera Theatre - 9/28 & 9/29
Beck - Aragon Ballroom - 10/2 & 10/3
Carrie Underwood - Assembly Hall (Champaign) - 10/2 & 13
Lindsey Buckingham - House of Blues - 10/2 (I am so there!)
Alanis Morissette - Chicago Theatre - 10/2
BB King - Rialto Square Theatre - 10/3
Tina Turner - United Center - 10/3 & 10/4
Kenny Loggins - Star Plaza (Merrillville IN) - 10/4
Kenny Rogers - The Venue (Hammond IN) - 10/4
NKOTB - Allstate Arena - 10/4
Indigo Girls - Rialto Square (Joliet) - 10/5
Tina Turner - Allstate Arena - 10/6
Ani DiFranco - Chicago Theatre - 10/6

King Crimson - Park West - Chicago.  Belew, Fripp, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree).   Yes, 2 drummers. 

I will not forget this one.  Ever.

Thanks for the head's up. I am looking forward to seeing KC in October when they swing through Philly. I've seen them every time they've been in the Balt/DC area since the Discipline/Beat/Perfect Pair tour and their TRAK tour really sticks out because they used the double trio line up with Bruford and Mastelotto on drums. That version of KC had a huge sound and the music was woven together very well - the drum solos were outstanding and explosive with Pat hammering out the beat and Bill playing around it...wicked. The rest of the band was - Adrian and Fripp on guitar and Levin and Gunn on bass. It'll be fun to see what the band has come up with this time out.

Last month I saw James Taylor and his Band of Legends at the local arena (seats 12,000. Bob Dylan, Cher and Judas Priest have also played there) and it was a great show. The sound was a bit echo-y, as you'd expect in a hockey arena, but we were lucky enough to have 5th-row floor seats (bought 2 months in advance), so it was pretty good from our seats.

The Band of Legends were all top players, but the only one I knew by name was Blue Lou Marino, the sax player from the Blues Brothers band.

James did a few covers as well as his own stuff and the audience loved all of it. The mood was very happy and friendly, plus many of his songs are pretty romantic, so my girlfriend really enjoyed the evening, as did I.

Saw Radiohead last Sunday night in Indianapolis with the wife. Also took future son-in-law and our 21 year old son. Great show. Spent the night in the front stage pit with a bunch of youngsters. Had at least 25 years on most of them. This was only their second show ever in Indianapolis. We also saw them open for R.E.M. 13 years ago at the same venue.

Will he be bringing the Sunshine Band with him? Wink

He is referring to King Crimson, who will be playing tomorrow night in Chicago.

That was pretty obvious from the previous posts. I added the winking smiley so folks would know I was joking.

Oh yeah... forgot about this thread.

Same here! Although I've already mentioned this in another thread, but back on July 19th, I saw Rush at the Nissan Paviliion in/near Manassas, VA. That was a friggan kick butt show there! After all these years, seems Geddy and the boys still got it were it counts! Was bummed they did not play "Red Sector A", nor "Working Man", but hey, I guess they can't play every single song.

And then just this past Saturday, I drove up to Allentown, PA to some outfit called Croc Rock to see my friend's band, Odin's Court, along with three other bands, Dark Empire, Cypher Seer, and Suspyre play. To bad the sound quality just flat out sucked at that show that night, but still, had an great time seeing four totally kick butt, but unfortunatly, not very well known, bands play.

Lead singer from Cypher Seer:

IMG_2497Medium.jpg

Dark Empire:

IMG_2499Medium.jpg

The Guitarists shredding it up for Dark Empire:

IMG_2502Medium.jpg

Suspyre (This was the band's album that I played at last years Pilgrimage):

IMG_2506Medium.jpg

The wife and I drove up to Philly last night and saw King Crimson - great show! I hadn't realized but it was my wife's 1st KC concert. She's seen everyone in the band individually at least once and Adrian Belew several times. Adrian is one of her favorites and her reason to see KC in the 1st place. The lady who sold me the tickets was very nice and enthusiastic about Monday's show and the seats were perfect...5th row center. The band played with their usual precision and seemed to be having a good time (even Fripp cracked a smile every now and then) and I really enjoyed the new double percussion set up. The drummers (Mastelotto and Harrison) began the show with Drum Duo that Mastelotto and Bruford played in the 'double trio' KC with Gavin playing around Pat's beat - exceptional way to get the show rolling. The set consisted mostly of KC's Adrian/Tony-era stuff (Discipline to present) but there was an older tune or 2 peppered in there (Red was phenomenal). Adrian made a couple of mistakes but covered well and laughed it off when he saw Robert's reaction and Robert was just being his normal eccentric self (hiding behind his rack the whole show and such) but they had a lot of energy and the show flew by. I'm still considering heading up to NYC to catch another show this weekend but we'll see how that pans out. I really had to gear up for the trip after going to the Virgin Festival over the weekend but it was more than worth it. If you have a chance to see these guys, you really should treat yourself to hear some of the most talented musicians playing in one of the finest rock bands out there...IMHO.

JB, sounds like a great show. I've always been a fan of the USA/RED period. I saw Fripp play with the League of Gentlemen in a small club, quite the contrast. Three punk rockers with one of the great technical guitar players sitting stock still on a barstool, wailing away.

I know it's Thursday, but I got back Monday from the 2-day festival over the weekend in baltimore called "Virgin Mobile Music Festival" 31 bands, 2 stages, 2 days, 15 DJ's and 1 dance tent. Was awesome time. STP, Offspring, NIN, Foo Figthers, Paramoure, Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry, the list goes on. Speakers for the 2 main stages has '8th Day Sound' on them. Sound was pretty good. Standing in front of the sub stack was bone/body shaking to the point when you could feel your chest vibrating, and hear you pants moving. Gotta love that.

Went to the Def Leppard concert last Sunday, Billy Idol opened up for them and it was a great show. I am a Def Leppard fan as I was brought up in that era and seein them for the second time was just as enjoying. Rick Allen was awesome on drums and he even had an acoustic version as opposed to the electric drum pad that I've previously seen him with. The Idol band was entertaining as well, I am a fan of the drums and their drummer was excellent to say the least. He'd hit the floor tom and with a sounding BOOM, the stick would fly way up in the air and he'd catch it to only keep the beat going. Great show, for anyone who is a fan, and want to see a good show, see Billy Idol, he can still rock.