MMTM Tweeter Array

LeBaron

Hey there, I am a Klipsch newbie. This month I bought a pair of Klipsch Heresy HRB and just won a MMTM tweeter array off ebay. Does anyone know anything about the tweeter array? I do not know if it has a high pass filter built in, it might, since it has a fuse. If it doesn't, can you recommend a design or shematic?I am gonna hang this thing near the ceiling at mid wall for a Loft like effect for a dance party. Other speakers peresent will be Stephens Trusonic and Klipsch Heresy.

db43_1.JPGdadc_1.JPGdbdb_1.JPG

I previously said I think this was a licensed arrangement which eventually went sour. I was thinking of another company. Apparently Allen was a big fan of PWK and these are authentic goods.

OTOH I am impress that that only four tweeter drivers like that can be used in cinema. It is a testament to the value of steep crossover slopes - at least I assume they are steep, like in the home line of speakers.

Gil

I knew I had this stuff somewhere but it took a while to find it:

The Klipsch MMTM is a controlled directivity high frequency horn designed for long throw applications. The MMTM's controlled dispersion is ideal for applications requiring high sound pressure levels at long distances and those requiring precise control of coverage patterns.

Frequency range: +/- 5dB 6kHz-16kHz

Sensitivity: 108 dB SPL 1w/1m

Max Power: 40w 124 dB SPL

Nominal beamwidth: H 45 deg V 20 deg

Nominal impedance / minimum impedance: 8 Ohms / 5.9 Ohms @ 18 kHz

Network: Passive 6 kHz hi pass filter with 18 dB / octave cutoff coupled with a notch filter creating a 60 dB / octave slope

Dimensions: 8.25 in H x 10.25 in W x 13.75 in D

Protection: 3 Amp GBB (2 Amp AGC)

I don't particularly like the sound of mine, they seem to beam straight forward. I've been thinking of modifying them to have wider dispersion.

John Allen takes credit for the development of these pro speakers that are the same that Klipsch produced. Look at the History page on that website and the dates of the development. Did Allen and Klipsch have an agreement to produce the same speakers? If so, who actually did the design? Why is there no mention of Klipsch on Allen's website?

Greg

I will see how this thing goes at my party, It might be a little over the top so to speak. I did just get an active crossover just in case.

So have you had a listen to your new unit yet? Since it's a long-throw design, aiming at a wall or ceiling might help spread out the sound for a wider sweet spot, so that's a good idea. I'd recommend you try it out before the party, to save any embarrassment if it has any problems.

Guys, What is this bass bin? It isn't a lascala bass bin as it is 36.5 inches wide. Did Klipsch ever make a bass horn like this?

I wonder if there is one in production like this somewhere?

jc

post-16499-1381937342977_thumb.jpg

John Allen takes credit for the development of these pro speakers that are the same that Klipsch produced. Did Allen and Klipsch have an agreement to produce the same speakers? If so, who actually did the design? Why is there no mention of Klipsch on Allen's website?

Greg

Allen and Klipsch DID have an agreement. Klipsch produced the HPS-4000 speakers for several years, but sometime after KlipschPro was sold, the quality of the gear dropped below what Mr. Allen wanted and he took over production. I assume under license (he never mentioned that). A few years ago, during the K-55-M era, he was using the Klipsch designs and horns, but had begun using different drivers for the tweeter and some of the squawkers.

There is mention of PWK on Allen's website, a tribute. I posted that link in technical questions.

It is interesting that John A. mentions KlipschPro being sold. This appellate decision http://www.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/97/10/971114P.pdf descibes the problems. Much of it is legal stuff, of course. My guess is that after this deal fell apart, pro theater came back in house.

Gil

Guys, What is this bass bin? It isn't a lascala bass bin as it is 36.5 inches wide. Did Klipsch ever make a bass horn like this?

I wonder if there is one in production like this somewhere?

jc

That would be a nice balance between the LS and the MWM. Not too small...not too big.