Upgrade Advice

jcmusic

Lately I have been thinking that my system may have passed up my speakers, if that is possible. Anyway I am thinking about a tweeter upgrade, my k-horns are 1977 all original except the ALK universals xovers; and possibly a wooofer upgrade as well. Looking for advice from you guys who have made these upgrades.

Jay

How about ALK Trachorns and Beyma CP-25 tweeters?

Bob's cast frame woofers are a no-brainer.

Seal the backs to the walls.

New internal wiring.

CHECK YOUR PHASE.

Clean some crap out of the listening room.

Room treatment.

That's all I can think of right now.

Greg

I think it's bad advice to recommend Jay contact the people whose products and services are for sale. He wants unbiased opinions.

Personally, I like my '76 Khorns the way they are. I fell in love with the Klipsch sound and other than upgraded crossovers, I intend to keep my Khorns sounding like Khorns. Not everyone agrees with me on this but for those who have upgraded (or swapped) components, you are the folks Jay is looking to for suggestions.

Good luck my friend. I hope you find what you're looking for. Try to hear a pair before you buy if you can. It's a lot of money to make some of these changes and whether or not it is actually an improvement seems to vary from person to person.

I'm with Gary -- I like my K-horns the way they are, except I decided on a different crossover upgrade than he did. I'm in the small minority who preferred staying with K-77s over switching to CT-125 tweets.

How do yours sound to you, and why do you think they need upgrading? Remember -- "If it sounds good, it IS good."

Larry

When I put the CT125s in my La Scalas, I was really impressed with the improvement in realism and clarity. I also liked that the output of the two tweeters was within 0.5dB, instead of 2-3dB, as it was with the K-77s. I wouldn't go back.

Actually, I went forward, with the JubScala conversion, but that came over a year later.

I think it's bad advice to recommend Jay contact the people whose products and services are for sale. He wants unbiased opinions.

Personally, I like my '76 Khorns the way they are. I fell in love with the Klipsch sound and other than upgraded crossovers, I intend to keep my Khorns sounding like Khorns. Not everyone agrees with me on this but for those who have upgraded (or swapped) components, you are the folks Jay is looking to for suggestions.

Good luck my friend. I hope you find what you're looking for. Try to hear a pair before you buy if you can. It's a lot of money to make some of these changes and whether or not it is actually an improvement seems to vary from person to person.

Gary you are correct as to what I am looking for in an opinion, I also like the way my speakers sound but. I am thinking they may need a freshing up after all they are over 30 years old. Maybe just new diaphrams or something like that. I would like to keep them original Klipsch, I also want to seal the backs just have not decided which way to do it. I would like to be able to toe them in-out a little to possibly create a better sound if that is possible.

Jay

Jay,

I have 78 stock khorns with the standard ALK xover.

I think diaphrams either work or don't work, so I don't know I'd mess around with replacing them.

What I have found that made the most difference with my speakers:

1. Good seal in the corners. The split pipe wrap along the edges in the back of the cabinet made a big difference. The pipe wrap and staple gun took about 30 minutes. Pushed them into the corner as tight as I could get them.

2. Since I had the ALK xovers I bi-wired the speakers. Gave me more "air".YMMV

3. Accoustic treatment. I just added foam panels on the wall between the speakers and some on the ceiling.

My next upgrade will be to replace all the original speaker wire, but this is way down on my list.

You do have a killer system and I hope it works out for you.

Danny

I do not have Khorns but do have La Scala's.

For me, the biggest change was swapping the stock AL's for ALK universals. This was a dramatic change and really opened up the speakers. Much more clarity and detail, more air around the instruments, etc. Basically, they removed the blanket from the speakers and let them breathe. Next in line is the Altec 511B's still using the stock K55's. This was a significant improvement as well, again with more clarity and detail in the midrange, and painting a much larger soundstage. It also moved the soundstage up the wall a couple of feet. I have been told the Trachorns are even better, but have not heard them. And lastly upgrading to the BEC tweeters. I know some here do not like them, but to my ears they were cleaner and clearer, and provided more detail in the upper regions. YMMV...

Mike

I do not have Khorns but do have La Scala's.

For me, the biggest change was swapping the stock AL's for ALK universals. This was a dramatic change and really opened up the speakers. Much more clarity and detail, more air around the instruments, etc. Basically, they removed the blanket from the speakers and let them breathe. Next in line is the Altec 511B's still using the stock K55's. This was a significant improvement as well, again with more clarity and detail in the midrange, and painting a much larger soundstage. It also moved the soundstage up the wall a couple of feet. I have been told the Trachorns are even better, but have not heard them. And lastly upgrading to the BEC tweeters. I know some here do not like them, but to my ears they were cleaner and clearer, and provided more detail in the upper regions. YMMV...

Mike

Mike thanks for posting and giving me your upgrade path, I thought about the 511B's as well but want to keep everything inside the stock enclosure. The Trachorns were a thought too, but I am still undecided on that.

Jay