Audiophiles

Good Question!

I think it was a generation or two ago. At that time HiFi nuts were guys that read Popular Electronics and did father-son projects like building Dynaco and Heathkit amps or a bass reflex speaker cabinet..

Back then capacitors (etc) were described by things like: microFarads, polarization, and max voltage. Today, we are no longer interested in those boring things. Instead we like to identify capacitors (etc) by things like: "opens up the soundstage", "removes the veil", and whether the sound is like "cardboard" or like "chocolate".

I don't understand it either ....

-Tom

According to Webster, use of the term "Audiophile" began the year I was born: 1951 I guess they knew I had arrived! LOL -Glenn

Main Entry: au·dio·philePronunciation: \'-de-o-?fi(-?)l\ Function: noun Date: 1951
: a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

Daddy Dee:

That's funny. I like Spam. It was introduced in WWII for the grunts and the local populace in those ravaged countries loved it. But I guess if you are hungry you are not particular. They thought it was a delicacy of sorts. It makes a nice sandwitch. I like bacon sandwitches from Crackerbarrel too. And I thought that after eating Spam your hearing range increased to 25khz.

JJK

I always thought audio nuts and audiophiles were kind of after the same thing with the audio nuts being more hands on do it yourself kinds of guys (and gals) and the audiophiles being more the purchase it ready made. The other difference in my mind is that audiophiles can at times get caught up in overly minute insignificant (to the rest of us at least) differences in sound, real or perceived, and forget to enjoy the music - they'll keep striving for perfection while the audio nut will just kick back and enjoy the music.

Audio buff would be closer to an audio nut maybe not so much a hands on tinkerer.

In any case, audio nut, audiophile, audio buff, etc all have buff audio systems.

just my .2 cents

I plan to abopt that label in about 15 years as I become more cranky and like less and less of "Today's" music and there for claim that the CD is the best there is over this new "Audio" format "MP16- digital audio 3 dimensional analog file" in 2032. I will be part of the next generation of Audiophiles. The old CD players will be rehab'ed by rare "artists" for some crazy prices which I will be able to afford to remind me of my youth. I will visit garage sales to pick up mint copies of "orginal" CDs in those large plastic "mint" cases to appreciate in my own high priced system to experiance my own audio nirvana. Who is with me?

Well see JB. In my crystal ball, I see you rediscovering vinyl aound 2009 / 2010 and sending me your CD collection as your also trying to go green and wouldn't think of sending that worthless pile of plastic and aluminum foil to the land fill. I guess time will tell.

Some I get right. Some I don't

I plan to abopt that label in about 15 years as I become more cranky and like less and less of "Today's" music and there for claim that the CD is the best there is over this new "Audio" format  "MP16- digital audio 3 dimensional analog file" in 2032.  I will be part of the next generation of Audiophiles.  The old CD players will be rehab'ed by rare "artists" for some crazy prices which I will be able to afford to remind me of my youth.  I will visit garage sales to pick up mint copies of "orginal" CDs in those large plastic "mint" cases to appreciate in my own high priced system to experiance my own audio nirvana.  Who is with me?

I'm going out to Brandsmart right now and get a trailer full of cd players......they will be worth 1-2k each in JB's world!!!!

I plan to abopt that label in about 15 years as I become more cranky and like less and less of "Today's" music and there for claim that the CD is the best there is over this new "Audio" format "MP16- digital audio 3 dimensional analog file" in 2032. I will be part of the next generation of Audiophiles. The old CD players will be rehab'ed by rare "artists" for some crazy prices which I will be able to afford to remind me of my youth. I will visit garage sales to pick up mint copies of "orginal" CDs in those large plastic "mint" cases to appreciate in my own high priced system to experiance my own audio nirvana. Who is with me?

I'm going out to Brandsmart right now and get a trailer full of cd players......they will be worth 1-2k each in JB's world!!!!

In 2032, a thousand dollar then is like 100 buck now, so just think what a 1000 buck now will be worth then? It boggles the mind.