Heresy's fair pricing

samson

Since the conversation topic has already started...is $450 (perhaps $400 if I can talk the seller down) for a pair of Heresey IIs in walnut that are ~ 20 miles from where I live a good deal? My guess is yes...but that's just my (inexperienced) guess.

Thanks!

-D

Samson,

Yeh. if you can get him down from $400 that would be good, though $400 is a reasonable price for very good condition cabs. It might be worth mentiioning to the seller that vintage crossovers require recapping to restore to factory spec.

Donkyshins,

Local pick up is definitely worth something in the price of speakers. Heresy speakers are a bear to ship. Expensive and very few sellers pack them adequately to survive a 5 foot drop on the corner. Ouch.

Well, I got the Heresy IIs today for $400 cash. They are really nice oiled walnut with a little bit of chipping around the front baffle (not noticable from the couch). I hooked them up tonight and aside from the fact that the higher sensitivity really makes the tube hiss from my preamp stand out (bypassing through the Dynaco ST35 is silent as the grave, though), I'm loving them! They're flanking my fireplace and are ~ 24" off the floor on the two brick piers that are on either side of the hearth (house was built in the mid-70s - all sorts of unfortunate decor choices abound) and about 4" from the back wall. I'm listening to the 'Round Midnight' soundtrack on LP and have never heard a jazz combo sound this realistic. Led Zeppelin III (immediately prior) also on LP rocked.

I'm very glad I finally joined the Klipsch family. [:D]

One quick question - do you use the P/N or S/N to gauge the age? The S/Ns don't appear to have a year (unless these particular speakers were built in 1959) as the S/Ns are 59620 and 59621. The P/Ns are both 0900034112.

Thanks!

-D

.......... - do you use the P/N or S/N to gauge the age?  The S/Ns don't appear to have a year (unless these particular speakers were built in 1959) as the S/Ns are 59620 and 59621.  The P/Ns are both 0900034112.

Thanks!

-D

You use the serial ##'s ... but your missing some numbers cuz they don't make sense. Look at the sticky at the top of the 2ch forum .. it gives a key to the codes. A photo of the fronts and the sticker will go along way to answering you questions.

If they are Herey II's ... they are post 1984. If the back of the speakers are permanently attached ... and access to the speaker is by removing the drivers ... they are II's

If you can set the speakers on the floor and tilt them back a bit (use a book or something) ... you may get a bit more bump outta your bass !!!

There was a period between 1990 and 1992 when the Heresy II numbers were a bit mixed up. If you have Heresy IIs with square connector cups on the back of the cabinet and numbers that don't fit the usual pattern, they could have been made then.

The earlier Heresy IIs have a round connector cup and should have more typical serial numbers.

Heresy drivers are mounted from the rear of the baffle and are a bit recessed, while Heresy II drivers are mounted from the front and sit flush.

There was a period between 1990 and 1992 when the Heresy II numbers were a bit mixed up. If you have Heresy IIs with square connector cups on the back of the cabinet and numbers that don't fit the usual pattern, they could have been made then.

The earlier Heresy IIs have a round connector cup and should have more typical serial numbers.

Heresy drivers are mounted from the rear of the baffle and are a bit recessed, while Heresy II drivers are mounted from the front and sit flush.

Thanks for that information!

They're definitely IIs; the back is permanent, it says 'Heresy II' in the connector cup and the drivers are flush-mounted to the front of the motor board - they have the square cup on the back instead of round, so I'm guessing it's probably 1990-1992 vintage. Woo!

-D

Congratulations on your Heresies. For their size and cost, I think they are one of the great deals in speakers. I know you will enjoy them.

Let me make a friendly comment. I noticed that you have them 24 inches off the floor. As an experiment, why not try them just a couple of inches off the floor and slightly tilted up. Klipsch supplied such risers on many of their Heresy models and they can be easily assembled (search the threads for pictures and measurements).

By getting them closer to the floor, you will probably notice the bass response is improved. The cabinet is already bass shy (it is a small cabinet), so this will definitely help. In fact an afternoon of experimentation: moving them around in your room will improve all sorts of things.

BTW: that new found noise in the electronics, that is always the curse of using efficient speakers

Enjoy them,

-Tom