Sad news funny car driver Scott Kalitta died in a terrible crash

Rich_Guy

Saturday funny car driver Scott Kalitta was killed in an awful crash. His car traveling at 300 mph burst into flames just before the finish line and it seemed as if he never even braked as his car continued down the track with an explosive impact at the end of the track. Best wishes to the Kalitta family.

Sad indeed. I remember watching his father Connie run when I was much younger.

Sometime in the early-mid 70's, Tulsa hosted the NHRA Spring Nationals. I took my wife Lynn to see her first big time drag race. The pink fuel car was chastising the boys at that race, so Lynn crashed the pits to meet Shirley Muldowney, and they hit it off. That night we had dinner with Cha-Cha (she didn't like that name) and Connie Kalitta. (at Zigfields I think ??) Very nice and ordinary folks other than one thing. THEY LIKED TO GO FAST! They were simple mechanics.......with quick reflexes.

Very sorry for the loss of another young spirit, but then it lasted for less than four sec. What a way to go. Beats wasting away in bed with illness. If I could choose..........

tc

I have been a fan of drag racing since childhood . There is ALOT of drag racing history tied to the Kallita family . When I heard of Scott's passing last night I about threw up . " Kudo's to ESPN 2 and the NHRA for cancling the qualifying footage last night and airing a memorial instead , the drag racing community is truely a tight extended family ."

I feel that Connie might pack it up and get out of the sport . I don't think his heart is going to be in it , regardless of the show must go on mentality .

It's better to burn up than to fade away. If all you need to do in drag racing is to press the gas down and hold on to the

steering wheel for 5 seconds, why couldn't they do it by remote control, without risking human life? My guess is that would

be kind of boring as the fans like explosions and crashes.

See, some fans have witnessed a death in a sport and they have the memory burnt into their synapses. Life is good!

I watched the video a number of times and I can't understand how he didn't brake but seemed to be able to steer the car straight. After the initial explosion which obviously hurt him badly the car did not brake but did continue straight for a long distance right up until impact at the end of the track. It is truly a terrible thing. This is like Dale Earnhardt's crash. Changes will will be made because of this. There are lots of things that could be done to steer and/or stop a car remotely.......and the end of the track could be more protective. That was just horrible what happened at the end of the track. Unfortunately, this is what it takes to get these type of changes made. Just terrible for the Kalita family and the sport.

Very sad indeed. I did not see any of the footage of the crash. I saw a partial interview with a driver (Jim Head?), and he basically was saying he would like to see the racing distance shortened (not track). Since most of the tracks were built and the length determined during the 50's and 60's when the cars were running tops around 250mph. Nowadays they are running around 330mph. That is big difference in terms of reaction time and energy.

I agree. The initial blast was huge. Still the car seemed to be controlled afterward and with just a tiny amount of chute dragging it didn't slow down much. I figured it would take a hard turn, roll, and tumble, but it went pretty straight. Maybe the braking system was damaged in the initial explosion. As the car seemed to be being steered but couldn't stop. I'm sure they'll figure the whole thing out with the data recorder and film info. The worst part was what happened at the end of the track. Can you imagine seeing that coming at you? My God.

The NHRA overall is a very safe sport ............. Many safety features built-in over the years ......... As with any high speed sport, Death is always a co-driver, it's a miracle more aren't killed .......... 0 mph to 330+ mph, from a standing stop, in one quarter of a mile, in around 4 seconds .......... Is that an awesome display of power or what ? ........ Sadly a life has been lost, ... R.I.P. Scott ...