Advice from Klipsch owners, please

bluemando

Gosh all my replies seemed to be addressed to no one in particular. After reading a *particular message* from someone on the list, I immediately pressed on "reply." I assumed that my follow-up would reflect who I was addressing.... Instead it was simply placed in the order that it was received. So my apologies to all those good people who tried to help, but seemly got not direct response from me to *them.*

To make sure this doesn't happen this time around, I'll mention that this response is to "jbsl" who still doesn't know what my budget is. As stated before, things got screwed up after I attempted to edit my initial post - some of the text was'nt shown (including the part where I mentioned my budget. Anyway, jbsl, my budget is $600 - 700 . As I stated in my initial post --text that is now missing-- The amount ($700) isn't arbitrary. I have a pair of new MMG's (magies) that only set me back $630 (delivered, with a 60 day try out). I figure that other speaker companies should be able to compete at a similar price point. Having said that, I suspect my reference is a tall order in a new speaker, so I'm resigned to go the used-route. Anyway, jbsl, you anticipated my budget very well, and I apprecitate your recommendations. Question: Are the Forte 1's the same thing as "the originals" (or are there Forte's - Forte 1's & Forte 2's? Also, I would like to ask, again, for commments regarding the low height of the older klipsch's. Almost all floor standing speakers these days are towers. Isn't it a disadvantge to have the horns firing (considerably! ) below ear level?

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh all my replies seemed to be addressed to no one in particular. After reading a *particular message* from someone on the list, I immediately pressed on "reply." I assumed that my follow-up would reflect who I was addressing.... Instead it was simply placed in the order that it was received. So my apologies to all those good people who tried to help, but seemly got not direct response from me to *them.* To make sure this doesn't happen this time around, I'll mention that this response is to "jbsl" who still doesn't know what my budget is. As stated before, things got screwed up after I attempted to edit my initial post - some of the text was'nt shown (including the part where I mentioned my budget. Anyway, jbsl, my budget is $600 - 700 . As I stated in my initial post --text that is now missing-- The amount ($700) isn't arbitrary. I have a pair of new MMG's (magies) that only set me back $630 (delivered, with a 60 day try out). I figure that other speaker companies should be able to compete at a similar price point. Having said that, I suspect my reference is a tall order in a new speaker, so I'm resigned to go the used-route. Anyway, jbsl, you anticipated my budget very well, and I apprecitate your recommendations. Question: Are the Forte 1's the same thing as "the originals" (or are there Forte's - Forte 1's & Forte 2's? Also, I would like to ask, again, for commments regarding the low height of the older klipsch's. Almost all floor standing speakers these days are towers. Isn't it a disadvantge to have the horns firing (considerably! ) below ear level? Thanks for your help!

When you reply, press the quote button below their text and it puts it at the top of the message box. Then just type below that and we will see what or who you are rplying to... as I have done here.

Mike

When you reply, press the quote button below their text and it puts it at the top of the message box. Then just type below that and we will see what or who you are rplying to... as I have done here.

Doh! Thanks MIke. Don't know how I could have missed that darn 'quote-button'

• Moderators

" Are the Forte 1's the same thing as "the originals" (or are there Forte's - Forte 1's & Forte 2's? "

Yes there are only 2 versions the Forte and Forte 2, I think the second version is a little better, I have both but you would be pleased with either, or the Cornwalls if you could swing them would be great also.

You are not going to get better sound quality for the money than Forte's or Cornwalls. [Y].........or higher up the Heritage chain.

" Are the Forte 1's the same thing as "the originals" (or are there Forte's - Forte 1's & Forte 2's? "

Yes there are only 2 versions the Forte and Forte 2, I think the second version is a little better, I have both but you would be pleased with either, or the Cornwalls if you could swing them would be great also.

You are not going to get better sound quality for the money than Forte's or Cornwalls. Yes.........or higher up the Heritage chain.

Agreed. I think Chorus is very good, too. Between all of them, Cornwalls are the better choice. You can find them for $700 if patient. As to the question about being low to the floor, when you open them up, you'll never ask that question again.

This man needs an audition.

I was thinking the same thing. I looked back through the posts, but haven't seen where you are located. There is probably someone close by you could visit to here different models. (We have one member in central Illinois who has 46 pairs of Chorus II, if I remember correctly)

Bruce

Lately, I'vebeen obsessed with Mahler. Mahler, Mahler, Mahler.... that's all I want to hear! I don't think I'll be listening with a Klipschhorn though (given my budget)

Thanks
bluemando

The fellow who was original owner of my Klipschorns was a Mahler buff and played in our symphony orchestra. His untimely demise caused these beasts to be stored for a number of years, to be purchased by me two years ago. I promised his mother and sister that I'd play Mahler on them occasionally in honor of him and I've stuck to that.

That being said, Cornwalls would be nearly as regal and obtainable at a reasonable price.

The Mahler is great, and I regularly play some London Symphony Orchestra recordings of Sibelius' 3rd and 5th Symphonies. Great recordings that sound wonderful on the LS. Would also be good on the Cornwall and KHorn (natch).

Bruce

Yes there are only 2 versions the Forte and Forte 2, I think the second version is a little better, I have both but you would be pleased with either, or the Cornwalls if you could swing them would be great also.

You are not going to get better sound quality for the money than Forte's or Cornwalls. Yes.........or higher up the Heritage chain.

Agreed.   I think Chorus is very good, too.  Between all of them, Cornwalls are the better choice.  You can find them for $700 if patient.  As to the question about being low to the floor, when you open them up, you'll never ask that question again. 

It does seem reasonable to think that a 12-15" woofer is going to give more of that "big orchestra presence" than ones less than that. Having said that, I do have a rather small living room and it has wood floors, although there is an 8x6 oriental rug in it and rather plush leather sofa that would likely help contain sound waves from bouncing all over the place. I sort of fancy owning Cornwalls.... I like the simplicity-look of them, Of course I will have to be patient. I noticed that the new III's cost a hefty 1,750 EACH. No way!!!

Good luck! Also, be prepared to not be as impressed as you should be when you match the Sansui to Cornwalls (or whatever other Klipsch you wind up with). Now, there are many on this forum that argue ad nauseum about amps. (What in the heck else are you going to do spending an inordinate time on a forum on speakers?)

My belief is, bang for buck, you could pick up a good used Crown or QSC amp to go with Cornwalls. My belief is you could find the amp for $200-300. The amp will really make a huge difference.

When I first bought my Cornwalls over 20 years ago, the seller had them mated to a "decent" Marantz integrated. It was loud, but not great. My older brother assured me the amp was an issue. I bought the speakers. Followed up with my Crown amp, and it blew me away. I spent $800+ at the time for the amp new, but I have seen used ones for as low as $200.

There must be many other good amps to find in that cheap price range. I am not as "into" knowing all the names as many others because I am quite satisfied and don't need to change amps like underwear.

Just wait until you hear what a $1,000 combination of speakers and an amp can get you. You won't believe it. Certain material will literally move the hair on your arms and sound beautifully clean.

Good luck, and post back.

This man needs an audition.

I was thinking the same thing. I looked back through the posts, but haven't seen where you are located. There is probably someone close by you could visit to here different models. (We have one member in central Illinois who has 46 pairs of Chorus II, if I remember correctly)

Bruce

Yeh, you guys are right about my needing to give Klipschs a listen. I I've never heard ANY speaker that's horn loaded The nearest place that carries the line is 51.5 miles away and I have no (other) good reason to make that trip. Anyway, anyone live near Amherst, MA and is willing to give a home audition?

Actually Sansui's have quite a cult following [see Audiokarma (Manufacturers Forums Section)]. The AU 555 is a sweet little amp that I will keep until death do us part. The sound is said to be as close to that of tube amps as one can get... if you like that sort of thing. I recently audition a Jolida 102b in my home and the Sansui out-performed it. In fact, I prefer it to my $900 Cambridge Azur... unfortunately, the little Sansui just doesn't have enough power... hence, my search for efficient speakers. I may simply end-up getting a Klipsch subwoofer (or another name brand sub, perhaps) to my KEF's, which, imo, are fine speakers for baroque, chamber music and venues of that sort.

That would be me......You got to remember that back in the 70's Sansui was the one to beat.....their transformers are still world class...and a certain number of models are still revered by audiophiles worldwide.

I currently own 4 Sansui's and when properly cleaned and brought back into spec are simply amazing.....I put my just serviced AU 7900 int head to head up against my just serviced Mcintosh MC2505 /MX112 combo and I was astounded at the outcome. I used three different sets of speakers as testing grounds...Heresy II's , Crnwalls And Klipshorns. On all three the AU7900 was more dynamic, had sweeter highs and a fast punchy bass with out being boomy. I really didn't want the results to come out that way but I just liked what my ears told me. But again it was only a 5-10% thing...which i think is the most you will find comparing any similar classed amps.

Now if we are talking modern day SS I would love to have a Mcintosh MC352 but those go used for > $3500

Lately, I'vebeen obsessed with Mahler. Mahler, Mahler, Mahler.... that's all I want to hear! I don't think I'll be listening with a Klipschhorn though (given my budget)

Thanks

bluemando

The fellow who was original owner of my Klipschorns was a Mahler buff and played in our symphony orchestra. His untimely demise caused these beasts to be stored for a number of years, to be purchased by me two years ago. I promised his mother and sister that I'd play Mahler on them occasionally in honor of him and I've stuck to that.

That being said, Cornwalls would be nearly as regal and obtainable at a reasonable price. 

Hey Maaaaahn. Why don't you sell those cornwalls to me so that Mahler will be played on them each and every day. That way the demised would be honored all the time :o) And *you* could *upgrade* to the next level. Okay, I'm being somewhat obnoxious I think but hey, it a thought, no?). But tell me people, why is it that Klipsch, until recently, has abandoned the old style close-to-the-ground, wide, box-like- speakers with the big woofers in favor of slimline towers and smaller woofers. Are towers an evolutionary better designed speaker... or simply a dumbing-down to the HT crowd and the $$$ that said genre generates?