2500 mile road trip for a early 50's Klipschorn

BadDad

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we're back and have a very nice Khorn to show for our efforts. 2500 miles and alot of side trips. Thanks for all of the suggestions. They were very useful. I'll start by trying to explain some of my concerns with the purchase of the Khorn. I bought it through e-bay as an estate item. A friend was selling this for another and I would need to pick up in Jourdanton TX. After the auction I contacted the seller right away and got no response for a day and a half. Other than he said the friend would contact me by phone. Nothing..... not a call, beep or contact of any sort. The name of my contact was M. Conn. After another day I went through ebay channels and got the name on the account.

Googled the name and found that he was a director of a methadone and drug addiction clinic......in California. Ok, so I'm thinking some drug addict started up a false sale looking for some drug money. My contact was after all named Conn. Who do they think they're kidding. I'm needing some answers quick before I'm sending any money. After repeated phone call I get a call from the original seller. He sounds convincing and after a long drawn out phone conversation, I'm starting to feel better. M. Conn thought I was to call. Easy mistake. After talking to her I found out that this Khorn was her fathers and he had just passed away 3 weeks previously. Not entirely thinking straight. She had alot on her mind. All very logical. The father was 94 years old when he passed. He had bought it new in what they thought was 1951 or 1952. He had kept it all of these years. No modifications. No mistreatment. Just a very well loved and cherished Khorn. And nobody from the family wanted to keep it. Too big, didn't have enough room, excuses, excuses, excuses. No problem I would love to have it.

He loved his music and his beloved Khorn so much that he took it with him to the assisted living facility that he spent his final years. I was told about how the other residents were complaining about how loud he was playing his music. Come on, he's 94, his hearing is not that good. So after a 2500 mile drive with two flat tires and many other exciting side stops. I came to be the proud new owner of Klipschorn serial #208, technically the 108th Klipschorn ever made. Its date of inspection and testing is Feb, 15th 1951. Works fine....sounds great, but only a 2-way. No tweeter they didn't need them then while listening to mono. So a tweeter might be on the list for the future, but no changes for now. Wanting to keep original for now. Figured its spent the last 57 years like this, I could spend some time listening to it.... in its original state.

[:D], BadDad

Wow signed by PWK!!!!! Very very cool.

CoolYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesCool

Not just signed, but also tested by PWK!!!! Way uber cool! That's a mighty fine looking speaker for being over 50 years old. Obviously very well loved and cared for. I'd play some of the owners favorite music every now and then....

Wow signed by PWK!!!!! Very very cool.

CoolYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesCool

Not just signed, but also tested by PWK!!!! Way uber cool! That's a mighty fine looking speaker for being over 50 years old. Obviously very well loved and cared for. I'd play some of the owners favorite music every now and then....

I was planning on asking about what music he listened to but when picked up you could tell that it was very hard on the son. Letting go something that was so dear to his father. I'm sure he had lots of childhood memories of the Khorn. I'm planning to ask both him and his sister soon about their fathers favorite listening habits. Giving them a little time off for now.

Great story, and a mighty beautiful museum-worthy Khorn! If I were you, I would not change a thing, including adding a tweeter, changing the crossover, or messing with the finish. You're not just the current owner, you are its currator! Thanks for sharing, Glenn! Oh, how's your sweetheart doing with all this?

Great story, and a mighty beautiful museum-worth Khorn! If I were you, I would not change a thing, including adding a tweeter, changing the crossover, or messing with the finish. You're not just the current owner, you are its currator! Thanks for sharing, Glenn! Oh, how's your sweetheart doing with all this?

Fini, Not planning on changing anything on the speaker. If I add a tweeter or change the crossover it will set on top in another box. To tell the truth it sounds pretty good now. Wife had a great time and was very supportive throughout. That wood horn and Stephens has great range just missing a little brightness on the top end. Hearing more depth in the midrange and the bass kicks a@@.