Palladium Listening Party Take 2

I might be able to make it the August 8-9 weekend. There's the American LeMans Genrac 500 up at Road America that I was considering attending ~ could combine the two. [<:o)]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to reiterate my comments in the Pilgrimage forum, that the Palladium P-37 setup, with center, surrounds and sub, were exceptionally accurate in rendering instruments and voices in my classical music "classes." Participants clearly heard what I was pointing out, including the musical importance of a flute at the bottom of its range, hard-to-hear combination of flute and oboe in unison, a soft-toned lute in the Monteverdi, etc. Brass (trumpets, horns, trombones and tuba) and tympani were rendered with great accuracy and full force. Most critical, string qualities and subtleties were easily heard.

Perhaps the main thing to be said is that the speakers were so good that everyone concentrated on the music. No one heard or commented on any distractions in the quality of the sound!! I may have underestimated them somewhat initially because of this.

I listened to one of my DVDs on a P-39 setup (center but no sub or surrounds). The midrange was a little fuller and more filled in between the tweeter and bass drivers compared with the P-37's. BTW, I didn't want my earlier comment about benefitting from a sub to be perceived as my main take-away.

I hope John, Southern, and doobie2 had a good time, my family can be a bit crazy! Ok, fine, actually I am the crazy one. In addition to showing off speakers, I do like to show off my fam, especially Mrs. Payne. Not only did she support my purchase, not only did she help me dolly these monsters down the stairs, she notices we're running low on refreshments and she comes downstairs and offers to run out for beer so we don't run out while we're listening and BSing. My wife is truly a saint among women.

My zoom application to show off all the pictures should be done by Sunday night, and I'll finally be ready to talk about sound on Monday morning.

Not only did she support my purchase, not only did she help me dolly these monsters down the stairs, she notices we're running low on refreshments and she comes downstairs and offers to run out for beer so we don't run out while we're listening and BSing. My wife is truly a saint among women.

You're a lucky dude, dude!

Not only did she support my purchase, not only did she help me dolly these monsters down the stairs, she notices we're running low on refreshments and she comes downstairs and offers to run out for beer so we don't run out while we're listening and BSing. My wife is truly a saint among women.

You forgot to mention that Mrs. Payne was also attending to your 5 month old son. I did mention this to my wife and she said "you know that would never happen in our house". Your wife is truly a saint. Doobie2 and myself both have to beg and give up a limb to get approval to buy used Klipsch speakers.

I might be in for the later date, as i'll be out of town on the 9th and 10th. If you go for the later date, I could bring my Blueberry Xtreme, or a Dynaco ST-70. I'm about an hour from Milwaukee. BTW Congrats and good luck!

Jeremy

OK folks, so far the most interest seems to be the 9th or 10th of August. Who all is still in?

Hi damonrpayne,

Since I'm in your neck of the woods, I and another Klipsch owner would like to attend on the 9th of Aug. with last choices being Aug. 30th or 31st.

I envy your listening room!

And congrats on your purchase [Y]

I'm looking forward to hearing them!

SET12

OK, sounds like the 9th is firming up. Should we try to cook brats or something as well?

John: you've met my brother, the sasquatch, he's strong enough to lift these speakers, so on Friday I should have them in a better position and have some of the panels moved around :D

OK, sounds like the 9th is firming up. Should we try to cook brats or something as well?

Brats!!!! You just hit a home run! Throw in a little potato salad and and you'll have a standing ovation!! [Y]

SET12

John: you've met my brother, the sasquatch, he's strong enough to lift these speakers, so on Friday I should have them in a better position and have some of the panels moved around :D

Oh maaan, how I wish I could come out for this! Unfortunatly, as it stands, no way in hell that I'll be able to come out, especially with a very important delivery/demo coming up at work.

I was very impressed with the Palladiums when I heard them in Indy (and believe me, I was very tempted into getting some myself - I could just about stroke a check for them on the spot..) The detail and clarity was friggan beautiful. I think Larry C above just about summed up as good as I could in how they sounded (i.e, I was very easily able to make out the lute in that last piece he played). I wonder how they would sound with my B&K gear.

As to the brats. Funny that we cooked up a bunch at work just this past friday out behind the building. Earlier, we pitched in and bought a gas grill. Since then we've cooked up burgers, steaks, brats, ribs... I love my small company. [8-|]

Ok, so, it looks like:

Saturday, August 9th at Damon's place. We'd start maybe after lunch-ish, listen to music music music, concoct some sort of bratwurst dinner, drink beer, music music music, maybe a movie? Wrap up at??? I might start another thread and ask one of our marvelous forum admins to sticky-ify it? Who's IN, who' MAYBE in, and are you bringing any gear? I'm happy to provide food but I might need help with beverages!