TT Choice Help

All,

I have been looking to get a good TT for some time. I would like your advise before I walk in the door. Of course I will let my ears do the deciding but would like to see what input/experience anybody had. He wants about twice as much for the pioneer as the dual, both are in apparently good condition.

Choice 1: Pioneer PL530 with Grado cartridge

Choice 2: Dual 1218 with stanton MK VI

I've been down the turntable path for over 3 years now, with short bucks dribbled way on mostly disappointment. My advice is to keep saving and plan to spned at least $400 on a table and budget at least $200 for a cartidge. The Bang and Olufsen's are a great table fior cheap but only if it has a good condition cartidge since they are made of unobtanium. Rega's and Project (used) are also great values. Save and be paitient.

I can't help you in your choice but I can pass along the following!!

You also have to allow funds for some of the accessories as well; and they do add up!!

1. Cleaning brushes

2. A good test record

3. Tracking force gage(s)

4. Cleaning solutions

5. Cleaning machine (if you are lazy and don't want to do them by hand)[;)]

6. Zerostat Gun

There are a lot of posts mentioning great recommendations of what to get for the above mentioned items.

Have fun!!!

JJ

While there seems to have been a rennaissance of interest in rim drive count me out. I had all the experience with them I ever want...not that they cannot sound good but almost any other drive method is an improvement.

I do not know of any Stanton "IV, " and am pretty familiar with the Stanton line having owned a number of them. My favorite is the 698EEE which holds up well against anything in it's price range and some costing quite a bit more.

The Pioneer is a fine vintage I recall from my couple of years working weekends at a stereo store in the 70's. I'd give it a hard listen.

I ended my own turntable quest with a VPI Scout. Not cheap, but anything better costs much, much more IMHO.

Regards,
Dave

i've got a stanton 681 EEE mk III on a Tech SL 1210 and so far have ben very happy considering that the whole package was about $550 new...

I've heard the VPI scout and it's definitely at the top of my wish list for when I get a new TT...I agree (and my experience is not that vast) that you would have to double or triple the price of the vpi scout to do better and then it's only a matter of very small degrees and personal taste at that level

I need to stop accumulating stupid amounts of speakers and amps so I can afford to upgrade my sources....which will probably give me more bang for my buck at this point......

Oldenough, any thoughts or comments on the difference between the Rega and the PL-530? I have a PL-51 that I would like to upgrade, wondering what the extra bucks and lack of auto features buys me soundwise on the Rega. I was thinking of going for a PL-530 for the auto return and start, but I can't help but wonder what a P3 would sound like (loved my Planet 2000 cdp). Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Jim

Jim, i'm probably the wrong person to ask, if I were to post my comments regarding different turntables that I own (probably twenty) or cartridges (havn't counted em lately) I would be the laughing stock of this forum. I just don't happen to think you need to spend stratosheric prices on this source in particular. There are some great bargains to be had at very reasonable prices (vintage). I believe the PL-51 is one of Pioneers better offerings and is a good solid performer. My Rega is one of the older Planar 2's with the wood trim, I've equipped it with an RB3000 arm and Shure V15iii, is the sound quality better than the V15 on the Pioneer.....Damned if I could tell much of a difference, if any. I think before you sink $1000 bucks into one of the decks that many here will extol the virtues of, I would consider what could be done with the Pioneer you have, ie new cartride/stylus and a good careful set-up of that combination. Then let your ears be the judge, it don't take much to beat the pants off of most CD offerings, if you come to that opinion yourself then you can only be happy. On the other hand...if you have a few grand sitting around spare then go for something more "exotic", just don't go back a few months later and compare it to what you already had, you may just be disappointed........

Disclaimer..: These are only my humble opinions and should not be taken seriously....or out of context.

Thanks Oldenough, that's the conclusion I was coming to. I really wanted auto return, but I just picked up a B&O for that (cartridge included) and I'll try a different cartridge on the PL-51. Glad to hear these old Pioneers are decent enough to keep from spending too much on the front end...cause I really need a speaker upgrade [:)]