Tractrix vs Exponential

Macallan

I am an RF-7 owner and have a question about the Heritage line. i would love to "upgrade" to either Khorns or Cornwalls at some point but have read that exponential horns are not as open sounding as tractrix? Is this true? I know the Khorn is known for its bass but do they lack in any way compared to the RF-7? What about RF-7s vs CWIII?

Pretty good questions but what the speakers are really different flavors. You should listen to each and decide. Shooting from the hip I would say cornwalls are not really an upgrade from rf-7, but khorns probably are, if you have the right room with good corners.

Another thought... if you want a hot-rod Klipschorn you can contact Al Klappenberg at http://alkeng.com/ and replace the K401 horn with his aftermarket tratrix horn.

Though I've never heard it, those that have, have said nothing but raving things about the upgrade.

Then again, if you want a fully Klipsch engineered solution... the planned replacement to the Khorn which also uses a tratrix horn, then find out about the Jubilee. Unfortunately, when PWK passed away, the plans for making the Jubilee in a 'pretty' version went away with him and today, you can find out about it under the cinema portion of the forum http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kpt-jubilee-535.aspx

Realize though that for home use, it's being ordered in a 2-way format and NOT the 3 way format you see in the link. It's avilable in black.

If you're considering a new (Khorn) purchase, then I'd urge you to do a search on "Jubilee" and brew a fresh pot....(putting on a flack jacket might also be an interesting idea?)

That is one nice thing about the Khorns, once tucked in, they sort of disappear into the corners.

I have heard Khorns with the tractrix horn and to my ears it's an improvement, but not to the level of make or break. The Khorn already sounds really good. I think it's one of the mods to keep in mind as you go along. My take is that you wouldn't appreciate the difference of the tractrix mid horn without hearing the K400/401 and knowing that sound as a reference.

If you are thinking about buying new Khorns, I wouldn't recommend changing anything. If you get a vintage pair, there are a few things you'll need to do anyway, like drop in fresh caps in the crossovers.

Yeh but louie Armstrong,s trumpet wasnt TrackTrix and it didnt smear. I would take the TrackTrix line with a large block of salt.

Sure, try and downplay the beloved "TrackTrix." JBL lover [:$]

Are you sure that you can discern an improvement, even if if was there was one????[:D]

You still haven't heard mine yet.............

Carl.

P.S. Lest it be misconstrued, the above post was made in jest and was not intended to offend anyone.................

P.S.II I would consider Al's "Trachorn" - the"TrackTrix" type horn - more of a considerable upgrade than was previously suggested. To my ears, it was a better upgrade than different crossovers. Of course, YMMV.

The difference with the Trachorns becomes even greater once you swap out the K55s.

P.S. III Having owned both, I would consider the move from RF-7s to Cornwalls a lateral move at best - and more likely, a step backwards. I would consider the move from RF-7s to Khorns an upgrade - even with exponential in place (and with the caveat of freshened caps). Of course, YMMV.

IMO The Cornwall III is a nice upgrade from FR-7's. Details are far clearer from top to bottom. I'v had RF-7's for about years and Cornwall's for a month or so. I'v switched between the 2 a few times and at first I missed the bass of the RF-7's but now the Cornwall's are clearly better allround.