Heritage home theater (again)

laager

I've searched the forums and read most of the heritage HT posts. Just looking for a spot of advice on a specific configuration that doesn't seem to have been fully addressed so far.

I have a pair of Cornwall IIIs up front with a Velodyne DD-18 and am looking at increasing speaker count to 5.1. Is it the general experience that Heresy IIIs match well with the Cornwall IIIs for center use? Most of the threads I've read tend to support the theory that matching the horns results in the shortest path to satisfaction (bar 3 identical speakers up front - impossible for me due to space).

I would probably progress to Heresy III rears if the Heresy III worked well up front.

Now, given that proposition, do you think an RC-25 center would be a complete waste of time? I throw this in as I can pick one of those up locally for a value price (but not bargain).

The Heresy III is the ideal choice for center and rear surrounds unless you can get a Cornwall III in the center position.

Do not, I repeat do not use Reference series speakers with your Heritage setup it will stick out like a sore thumb and throw the timbre' of the system off.

Stay all Heritage and you will thank yourself later.

Frzn' knows what he's talkin' 'bout...in my Heritage Home Theater I found three Heresys across the front were best...Quartets and an Academy across the front were a very close second (as nice for Home Theater, much less as nice for 5.1 Music but I almost never listen to just music through my Home Theater) and the space savings is what drove my choice...mixing the series will get you sound...just not the sound you will be happy with...especially if you ever hear three identical or similar front speakers...

That said...and mostly for Home Theater Movie use, I don't find the rear matching speakers as critical to audio bliss...I had Heresys across the whole five and it sounded great with music and great with movies...for space consideration and because I can't leave well enough alone, I tried KSP-S6s for rear surrounds and I really like them and don't feel I miss the Heresys back there but again, I mostly do movies on the Home Theater...

Bill

After listening to the new Icon series at BestBuy yesterday, I really must register my dissapointment with them. Sure they have high output, although not relative to my Heritage series stuff. I bought a sub-10 to go along with the HIII's in my little room, the sub-10 carries everything below 58 HZ and it really adds more of a spatial quality and a little more physical sensation.

Yesterday I heard the Icon series, the WF-35's and they had a rather harsh sound, one I don't get from my heritage series stuff. I was totally not happy. I am thinking of getting a third HIII for center channel, but I do have space constraints in my HT room. currently two HIII's and the sub-10 give me more than I have heard in many a show room.

• 1 month later...

OK, I've found some Heresy IIIs to continue the Heritage home theater.

Now I'm currently searching for a fair price on getting three Heresy III units from the US (Indy) to Australia. In their original Klipsch cartons they come in at 17" x 19" x 29" @ 51lb each.

Does anyone have suggestions on a fair priced carrier for them across the pond? It doesn't matter if they take a while to arrive. However, I would be willing to incur a fair (but not insane) premium to get them a bit faster.

Unfortunately, that cannot be done.

Could you buy them and then ship them to ME? Devil

No problem. I'll toss in a pair of 60th Khorns for you, too. [:D]

Actually, I can't even see the online store. Must be an IP screen limiting it North American IP addresses. Annoying, as it would be nice to purchase direct from Klipsch and have them delivered to friends or family stateside.

Annoying, as it would be nice to purchase direct from Klipsch and have them delivered to friends or family stateside.

Well you could have your friends/family put in the order...

Btw, it's pretty messed up when a customer isn't able to make a purchase....talk about easy profit going out the window.

Btw, it's pretty messed up when a customer isn't able to make a purchase....talk about easy profit going out the window.

What's really annoying is that the Australian Klipsch importer/distributor (Powermove) just isn't interested in doing business in the Heritage line. Actually, I wonder if they are interested in business at all. The reps don't return phone calls and rarely return emails. I've called them at least a dozen times and left messages on the rep's cellphone - no reply. Called reception and left messages to be passed through - no reply. In fact, the only reply I ever got was the first email where I noted that Klipsch USA suggested I contact them for pricing and availability on Heritage gear. The rep said they would have someone else call me. No call.......

I got my local store to do some parallel digging for me in the hope that an authorised Klipsch reseller would have more luck. They got the same treatment as me.

The local guys called me yesterday and mentioned some rumour that Klipsch is going to fire up their own in house front in Australia. Don't know if it's true but if it is they simply cannot be any worse than the existing distributor because for all intents and purposes in relation to the Heritage line there is no distributor onshore.

It's times like this when I would love Klipsch USA to say 'well, you've tried your hardest locally. Just order from us and we'll send you what you need.'

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's up and running. 2 x Cornwall III for FL + FR and Heresy III for center, LS + RS.

It's been fiddled with, balanced and it sings. Perhaps most telling is that other than a bit more bass response from the Cornwall IIIs they are difficult to tell apart. Timbre match is perfect.

All the advice was spot on.

• Moderators

I think you are the first (as far asi I have heard ) to use Cornwall lll's and Heresy lll's all around for a HT !

It has to be a " perfect " match, all high freq and midrange drivers are the same, you can't do better than that.

And just switch to stereo for a really good 2 CH.

Congratulations, it has to sound great.

What's really annoying is that the Australian Klipsch importer/distributor (Powermove) just isn't interested in doing business in the Heritage line.

with my experience, Klipsch reference line in Australia is hard to come by and heritage line even harder.

have you tried klapp audio? i believe they stock the heritage line,

have you tried klapp audio? i believe they stock the heritage line,

No, didn't try them at all and can't see myself overpaying them for set of new Klipschorns. I'd rather buy a set of Jubilees and have them sent over on a boat. It'd still work out cheaper than Klapp's price on the Klipschorns.