Hybrid Trachorn

Guest David H

Thanks to all for describing Power Response and the importance of off-axis response and it's effect on the overall sound of the speaker. I'm a little disappointed that no one jumped on my earlier statement that said something to the effect, "I don't care about off-axis response because I do my listening on-axis", not realizing the importance of off-axis response. My skin is thick. Please correct me if I say something that seems uninformed (because it is, and I want to know about it). That's one of the reason's why I like this site,

In fact you were corrected this morning.

Yes, but where's the directness and fingerpointing? Sorry, my post was a bit tongue-in-cheek, directed toward the tone of some posts. The thanks was genuine though.

The driver is on the back... you still have the big black horn up front....

You didn't get the memo?

If you do some drilling & modification, you can mount the driver inside the mouth of the horn, thereby saving some overall net length...

trust me....would I lie to you?

[:P]

The driver is on the back... you still have the big black horn up front....

You didn't get the memo?

If you do some drilling & modification, you can mount the driver inside the mouth of the horn, thereby saving some overall net length...

trust me....would I lie to you?

Stick out tongue

That's where mine is now... at least on one of them... must of been from 2 seperate runs...

Why can't people here respond with all the information and not play I got a secret ... or secret handshake club ....

Example... some one is using TAD drivers that are way expensive.... which driver ?? how expensive ?? the jubs aren't cheap by themselves...

passive networks... Dean's. Roy's or (Al's) ???

Which version of Roy's ??? I heard there are a few but I can't get an answer on what the difference is sound or component wise....or at least no one has the time to help....

opps... I think I said to much the some one is here with some little pills for me ... very small pills... but a bunch of them... with very small speakers.... that have a box connected to them...

OMG thery are from BOSEEEEEE...

I feel better now[*-)]

Why can't people here respond with all the information and not play I got a secret ... or secret handshake club ....

Example... some one is using TAD drivers that are way expensive.... which driver ?? how expensive ?? the jubs aren't cheap by themselves...

I can partly see why you might feel that way whatever55.

Let me tell you how it feels from my perspective also. I've lost alot of the desire to post about the Jub and what I do with it because it seems like it is a never ending battle and massive consumption of my time due in large part by some who seem to only want to attack the Jub/K402/K69A for what reasons I don't know but many of them do not even own or have not even heard them but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

I want to have fun with this hobby, and even debate some of the concepts that the Jub can represent because we all can learn from this (I do get tired and frustrated at batteling the uncalled for misinformation, innuendo and twisting of my post but that has been a part of posting about the Jub since the begining) and believe me it's a shame we can't post more often on the forum because I believe many would enjoy it. I've exchanged e-mails with people in many parts of the world expressing interest in the Jubs and knowing more about them which they first learned of from this forum. Many of the Jub owners I know don't seem to post on the forum much if at all partly I'm sure because of what I've just mentioned.

You mention the TADs and that is good example of where I'm coming from. I really didn't know if I wanted to post about them because some on here will take that as an opportunity to slam the K69A or K402 which is the last thing that should happen IMO. I simply wanted to try the TAD because their drivers are reported to be among the best available today and because I believe so much in the quality and features of the K402 I wanted to see how far we can push the performance of the Jub/K402 combination. The K69A isn't perfect nor is the TAD I'm sure and it has been an interesting experiment but for me to talk about it is to guarantee that some will take what I say out of context or porportion to slam the K69A or K402 which is the last thing I would want to happen.

So I hope you see that after 2 years of Jub ownership and trying to post about them it's not been easy and it's hard to decide when to post about something I do with them.

As far as the TADs, I'm trying the TD-4002 and I believe it is an excellent combination with the K402 and yes they do cost $$$$ but I hope you understand what I paid is private but you should be able to find prices on the internet.

Talk to you later I've got to get some things done around here besides talk audio.[:D]

mike tn

some one is using TAD drivers that are way expensive.... which driver ??

TAD 4002

how expensive ??

I don't know but something like $2,700 or more for a pair of them?

passive networks... Dean's. Roy's or (Al's) ???

Most users are going with active. Makes doing these changes on the fly VERY easy. As for who's networks....Roy has designed them and Dean built at least his pair. Rigma has built his own also, using el-primo parts (something like $3,000 for parts alone?) AlK doesn't have some of the woofer information (from my chats with him) that he needs to be 100% sure he's got the right design. I'm not saying what he's got (for potential Jubilees) isn't good...I've no idea what he's doing/done.

Which version of Roy's ???

Though Roy has a passive design out (actually, I think it's now two?) since most are using the active, I think that's where more of the talk is. Rigma's passives sound great. For MY specific ears, I can't tell a difference between his passive and Roy's settings in the active. Rigma says he can hear a difference so I won't argue that. I will say, for $3,000 in parts alone...and then no ability to fine tune "on the fly", I'm not sure I personally would want to pay the extra cash for the exoctic version he has verses keeping the Dx38.

with very small speakers.... that have a box connected to them...

OMG thery are from BOSEEEEEE...

If you put your small bose bass module inside your Jubilee bass bin, you will astound yourself with the deep, room filling vibration it will cause as it gets shaken (not stirred) inside the bass bin... [:P]

Guest David H

I have done some testing on the Trachorn using a Behringer Ultracurve and RTA mic, I fed pink noise to the amp and measured the response.

I know this is only marginally accurate but these are the tools I have at my disposal.

post-24405-13819419554806_thumb.jpg

" Could you, say check response from 500 to 5k, and change your output scale to give more resolution?"

And change the vertical as well. Looks like that should be possible based on the settings on the right side of the display. Perhaps try MAX at -30dB and set the RANGE to 30dB.

Shawn

I like the curves and I like the above responses. Yes...if you have time....

Scale from 500-5000Hz

If you can.....put the mic off axis horizontally.......15 and 30 degrees from the driver. Keep on midline vertical axis.

Good work.

jc

Guest David H

I ran a K-55 full range without the crossover for the test, I dont know the range options on this unit. I purchased this as a sub EQ and know little about it.

The mic was positioned vertically approx 3' from the mouth of the horn. What position is optimal?

Guest David H

If you can.....put the mic off axis horizontally.......15 and 30 degrees from the driver. Keep on midline vertical axis.

What range from the mouth of the horn? And do you mean start on a vertical plane and rotate the mic 30 degrees?

Guest David H

Perhaps try MAX at -30dB and set the RANGE to 30dB.

Sean, this I can do, however I dont know that I can rescale 500-5000.

If anyone knows how, Im all ears. Eyes in this case.

"Sean, this I can do, however I dont know that I can rescale 500-5000."

Thanks. I'm not sure if you can rescale horizontal either as I think it is limited to 1/3 octave RTA but I may be wrong about that.

The rescaled vertical is going to make your graph more lumpy looking but it will be easier to see what is going on.

Shawn