What display are you using?

Youthman

Many people seem to speak highly of the Panny's.

I think thats the case because Pioneer dropped of the Plasma market. They however, still PURCHASE them from the same manufacturers of Panasonic plasmas. They just essentially rebrand the Panny models. Within the last few years anti-image retention (pixel orbiting technology) has greatly reduced the amount of potential for burn in. Notice how I said potential as these sets still have the ability to burn in. I have had my set for over a year and don't worry about anything. As for people not liking the 60,000 hours of viewing for plasma displays, this is merely the half-life of the plasma itself. So after these 60k hours they burn at half brightness. Recent models have better contrast ratio's and an extended halflife.

Just my 2 cents.

-EK

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I told my dad I was going to buy a plasma and he said "oh no, you don't want one of those. I just talked to a guy that has a tv repair shop and he says he gets way more plasma's in to fix than LCD's." To be honest, I have not read one article online that suggests this.

I went with a Samsung LCD over plasma due to the burn in you can get so easily with the plasma and due to the shorter life span on the plasma. I didn't notice much of a difference in picture quality between a plasma and LCD personaly so the LCD seemed like a no brainer.

Plasma displays do not have a short life, they will probably have one of the longest lifespans of most TVs including CRT. LCD usually has a cheap plastic screen that will not have as long of life or the protection of the glass screen on a plasma display. Also the picture quality of LCD is still lacking and loses considerably to plasmas much more realistic picture.

Panasonic plasma displays are extremely dependable reliable displays with excellent customer service. I would recommend staying away from Samsung as Samsung seems to have both the highest failure rate and poor customer service dealing with warranty issues.

Burn in was indeed a problem with first generation plasma, thus the short life span implication - it's no longer an issue on panels made in the last few years.

If money is not an issue and you'd want the absolute best panel in the world, get the new Pioneer Elite plasms :) Otherwise, I'd suggest to get either a Panasonic plasma or a Samsung LCD (6XX series or above) - could not go wrong with these.

Also, off-axis viewing is not optimal with LCD so keep that in mind.

• Moderators

My room will be painted at the beginning of next week so I was planning
on buying the Panasonic TH-50PX80U. It has gone from $999.00 to
$1399.00. Guess I won't be buying it till it goes back on sale. Found a few reputable places (Crutchfield etc) selling it for $1200.00. I am patient, I'll wait a few weeks if I have to for it to go back on sale.

The Pioneer Elite KUROS is the ONLY screen to get. It is without question the best picture of any TV on the market. Its extremely resistant to burn-in, and lifespan is just not an issue (i've had the Pro-FHD1 for like 3 years now). I got the 50" KUROS for $4,500. I seriously advise anyone in the market to save up or finance one - its an investment you won't regret!

• Moderators

I know the Pioneer Kuro has received excellent reviews and I appreciate your suggesting it but if I was going to spend $4500, I would just save up and buy a 1080p projector and bypass the Plasma altogether. I have chosen to only pay cash for stuff now. I've been the debt route and I have absolutely no desire to ever go back. The only thing I am willing to finance is our home.

Not what your looking for but, 65" CRT Toshiba 1080i.... 280 LB monster.... for the last few years, still looks good.

wow 280 pounds? that must have taken a few family members to move and set in place?!

Hmm , are you sure it's only 280lbs ? I only ask because I have a 35" Toshiba Cinema Series crt and the specs say it is 280lbs . I can't see how yours could weigh the same being a crt and all .

The Pioneer Elite KUROS is the ONLY screen to get. It is without question the best picture of any TV on the market. Its extremely resistant to burn-in, and lifespan is just not an issue (i've had the Pro-FHD1 for like 3 years now). I got the 50" KUROS for $4,500. I seriously advise anyone in the market to save up or finance one - its an investment you won't regret!

I don't know , with my itchy trigger finger and all that . I have looked at the Kuros and the Pany Vieras . Maybe it's just the way they are setup at BB but I don't see enough differance to justify the Kuro's price . The Vieras claim to have 100k hours half life as well . Meaning that it will perform as specified for 11 years continuous . But at the rate tv's change these days I might just pull a breather and wait , or not !

• Moderators

Not what your looking for but, 65" CRT Toshiba 1080i.... 280 LB monster.... for the last few years, still looks good.

wow 280 pounds? that must have taken a few family members to move and set in place?!

Hmm , are you sure it's only 280lbs ? I only ask because I have a 35" Toshiba Cinema Series crt and the specs say it is 280lbs . I can't see how yours could weigh the same being a crt and all .

I was wrong, after looking it up, it is 240lbs, it's a CRT but rear projection, click on "detailed specs".

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=65h84

I don't know , with my itchy trigger finger and all that . I have looked at the Kuros and the Pany Vieras . Maybe it's just the way they are setup at BB but I don't see enough differance to justify the Kuro's price . The Vieras claim to have 100k hours half life as well . Meaning that it will perform as specified for 11 years continuous . But at the rate tv's change these days I might just pull a breather and wait , or not !

That's strange - The Elite has me so spoiled I literally can't even look at the Panny in my bedroom. It's like night and day to me. As far as TVs changing - I've had the FHD1 for 3 years (man they go by fast), and I am sure I will enjoy it for many years to come without any degradation in picture quality.

I know the Pioneer Kuro has received excellent reviews and I appreciate your suggesting it but if I was going to spend $4500, I would just save up and buy a 1080p projector and bypass the Plasma altogether. I have chosen to only pay cash for stuff now. I've been the debt route and I have absolutely no desire to ever go back. The only thing I am willing to finance is our home.

Thanks for the welcome Youth! I hear ya about the debt. I'm no expert on projectors, but from what I've seen, the KURO looks better. I'd hate to give up this picture quality even for a huge screen.

bigcityfalcon-have you compared your kuro to the newest model? I'm curious as I have an opportunity to purchase last year's model in the 50" size for $2500 (monitor only, no speakers nor tuner). This is an open-box sort of thing but I'm not one who typically worries about that too much.