How much power are you using with your Fortes?

sberger

I have a pair of Crites modified Fortes that up until about a month ago was running with a 6wpc SEP tube amp. I have a pretty small listening area, and I could get it pretty loud to my ears. But for various reasons I decided to try a vintage Pioneer SX 737 receiver(35 wpc) with them, and I have not looked back. The extra power has brought out bass in the Fortes that I never heard before. 9-10 o'clock on the volume control is plenty loud, anymore I'd be afraid of blowing out the windows. And the 737 is very tubey warm.

So I'm interested in what type of power other folks use with their Fortes. Can't see how one could use much more than the 35 "vintage" watts that I am, but maybe you are. I'd like to hear about it.

Yes.......I'm referring to the discussion on the "General Questions" section that has become pretty amusing. Sorry if I mislead you.

But seriously, when I had Forte ll's........I powered them with a Marantz 30 watt receiver and they matched up very well. Vintage receivers rule. [Y]

My Onkyo is 130 watts per channel. I think the maxiumum volume level on the receiver is +10. I've listened to it at -5.0 and 0.0 depending on how loud the source material was. No idea how many watts I was using but my wife said she could hear the stereo outside in our driveway. My system is in the basement, all the windows in the house were closed and her car was probably parked 50 feet away from the house. [:)]

My room is 10' wide x 23' long x7' tall.

I used a Sonic Impact T-amp and could get the Fortes pretty loud although bass wasn't really strong and they didn't sound too dynamic at louder levels. I also used Rotel separates and the amp was 120 watts x 2.

It seems that the Fortes are pretty forgiving as far as sounding great with almost any amplification they are connected to. The main difference would be do you want louder maximum SPL and stronger bass as far as considering whether or not to upgrade to a higher quality and/or more powerful amp.

• Moderators

When you guys use big power, how far on the volume knob do you go? And how big is you're listening room?

I would say how far you go with the volume knob is just to where it is comfortable for you without loosing your hearing (what's the point in that). A better way would be to get a DB meter, volume knobs vary along with room sizes.

For HT I use 110 wpc receiver with 4 Forte ll's and 2 original Forte's and a sub in a 24' wide by 18' deep room thats open to another 16' in depth. I have NO clue how much of the 110 wpc I use and have never even came close to it's limits by sound quality. The DB meter has been at 100 decibels or a couple more to hear what it sounds like, but that's not where we listen normally.