How long does break in take?

tommyboy

Mechanically, speaker break in is loosening up the surround material but particularly the woofer spider, which is the accordian folded support made of coated woven fibres. If you push in gently on a new woofer and listen carefully, you can actually hear a 'crunchy' sound as this material first flexes.The same holds true of other speaker drivers to a lesser extent.

Prior to testing speakers in the lab, they are given several minutes of low frequency noise or warble tones to loosen them up. Nothing more is required. If you home listeners simply play your speakers for a couple hours at modest volumes, you've done all the break-in that most speaker assemblies require.

Manufacturers who list 50 or 100 hours are allowing time for your ears to become used to a new listening experience, which psychoacoustically is a kind of break-in for your own mind. Take into account that many times new speakers are placed in a new position or new system, and there is a room component that your brain really needs to wrap itself around before you can make an accurate analysis of what you're hearing.

Michael

Prior to testing speakers in the lab, they are given several minutes of low frequency noise or warble tones to loosen them up. Nothing more is required. If you home listeners simply play your speakers for a couple hours at modest volumes, you've done all the break-in that most speaker assemblies require.

So, would the same thing be true with subwoofers?

I agree with the "psycoacoustic" thing with speakers.......but I swear some of my subs really "softened up" after about 60-100 hrs of initial use. [:^)]

Most good car thieves...

Good thief? The last "good thief" was Saint Dismas.

There's little "good" about the drug bums that smash your window to get a quarter from the ashtray, or whatever else you foolishly left in your car.

I guess if anyone should know that I should; thieves broke into our son's F-150 last month and cleaned house. I guess you are saying my son is then a fool. If my choice of words upset you, then I suggest substituting the word "proficient" for the word "good" as I assume most of the other members here did and rest easier. Sorry for taking this forum too casually. -Glenn

Most good car thieves...

Good thief? The last "good thief" was Saint Dismas.

There's little "good" about the drug bums that smash your window to get a quarter from the ashtray, or whatever else you foolishly left in your car.

I guess if anyone should know that I should; thieves broke into our son's F-150 last month and cleaned house. I guess you are saying my son is then a fool. If my choice of words upset you, then I suggest substituting the word "proficient" for the word "good" as I assume most of the other members here did and rest easier. Sorry for taking this forum too casually. -Glenn

Sorry, Glenn, I guess I was just venting a bit. I've had my van broken into twice, in two different cities. The second time was especially annoying, since it was in my building's locked garage.

I don't mean your son is a fool, either. Perhaps he was unaware of how many thieves there are, and now he's very likely more aware.

Here on the Island, there's little car theft, but lots of car break-ins. When I lived in Toronto, it was typical on hot days to leave your car windows open a little to reduce the heat in the car, but that's never done here. All car windows are fully closed in all weather.

Daily life changes in little ways over time. What's discouraging is when the little changes are for the worse and not for the better.

You're right, it's about speaker break-in. Speakers do break in as their suspensions and cones lose their initial stiffness, but no special treatment is called for. Just play your music and the speakers' sound will continue to improve, for a period that varies from a few hours to maybe 100 hours in rare cases. That's all there is to it.

...for a period that varies from a few hours to maybe 100 hours in rare cases. That's all there is to it.

At that point, they are worn out, and you can send them to me. Wink

Bruce

I'll make you a deal................ you send me your La Scalas, and I'll send you my synergy's!!![;)]