opinions on receivers

halfadeck

hi all anyone have an opinion on a yamaharxv3200?I got my choices of reciever down to a few denon3802 or 4802(if i can find a good enough deal),onkyotxds898 or txds797,yamaharxv3000 or 2200, marantz sr8200.Was thinking about the sonystrda5es but too many people been saying stay away. I'm edging towards the yamaharxv3200(that thing looks sweet)but havent been able to hear it I think it just came out. Any opinions would be great. Thanks ahead of time for your input!

------------------

turn it up hmmph i said turn it up

Look at 'em closely, Halfadeck! You might also check out the upscale HK, I'm told. I have been reluctant to change out my Yamaha RX3000 because I truly favor having a powered set of Front Effects speakers in my sound wall... it allows me to tuck the KLF-30 Mains up to the 65" Mitsu RPTV without narrowing the biggest possible sound stage for the room size.

I also like being able to enhance old style stereo or ProLogic programming with Yamaha's choice of enhancements. Since all the 5.1 material becomes 6.1 material, I find that the enhancements help fill in the shortfall of older technology.

I haven't heard the new Yammy, but I am eager to. I shall probably upgrade my receiver once I get a chance to see what manufacturers will be offering this year.

There are a lot of folks, like Boa, that have spent a lot of time and money in swapping out receivers... and others that have great insights into the separates issue. I trust they will find the time to comment on this issue... especially about what new stuff is in the offing.

Used receivers are hard to recover money on, study wellcwm15.gif HornEd

------------------

"arrhythmias Klipsch Legends Cavort Discretely Six Ways!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite System: vintage Cornwall with SVS16-46CS+

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing...

I posted the results of T-man's challenge on the Home Theater section (Hey HornEd, need Phantom feedback... ) and would appreciate your comments

halfadeck,

If you want to have the front effects then the Yamaha is a very good choice.Plus it a very well built reciever,sounds great and is loaded with features.

In my view the Denon 4802 would be a better choice,the amplifier in this unit is superior to the Yamaha's.Its also loaded to the grills with features and has an army of inputs and outs.

What made me take Denon over Yamaha is its built quality and power amp section(even if I dont use little weakling reciever amps LOL).

The 3802 has all the features of the 4802 minus the better amp and less inputs.Its also a great choice if you want to save some green.Later you can always add a multichannel poweramp.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Go for yammie - better build, quality, and sound. A lot of Denon fans in here but at least they have good taste in speakers. cwm4.gif

The specs on the RX-V3200 look pretty impressive. I see that Yamaha has gone for more wats per channel and dropping the front effect channel. I think its a good idea.

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

TV: 29" Sony Trinitron

DVD: Toshiba SD9200

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 02-03-2002 at 03:55 PM

Maybe its the color of the Denons. That smokey sort of bronze metal thing goin' on there. They remind me of a old JVC receiver I had years back...

cwm8.gif

My Yammie sounds better than Denons costing hundreds more.

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

TV: 29" Sony Trinitron

DVD: Toshiba SD9200

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 02-03-2002 at 04:32 PM

Yamaha or Denon? guess what? you can't really make a "wrong" choice. they are both very good. Get whichever one you want and don't torture yourself. upgrading your receiver every year is a waste of time and money. Pro Logic II? who cares...

I have a Yamaha RXV1 btw. Klf20 front/rear, KlfC7....

i'm a big fan of the 4802. just about got it but decided to go the seperates route which as HE said does involve some added $. & yea it also involved some time getting there. cwm13.gif

i think these days w/ some of these receivers u really have to have a pretty high personal marginal value for the added cost. iow, a lot of the receivers now are just as good, at least in the pre/pro section.

TTK mentioned the B&K 307 (or 305, which is same but 5 instead of 7 channels), & hadn't seen it mentioned much here. which is kind of odd cause I think my B&K stuff has that warmer sound that goes well

w/ klipsch just as the denon & marantz have been so touted here. i haven't heard one of their receivers, but i've seen mentioned quite a few times that the 307 or 305 basically have the same tuner/pre/pro section of the reference 30 that I have.

might be worth a listen though I think the 307 is well more pricey than the 4802 (again that personal marginal

value thing). but a few things i'm willing to pay more for the b&k, besides the great sound, are the excellent

upgradability, real flexible bass management (& the upgradability of that) & a 5 year warranty.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Hello ED

Im back, i paid for web TV, so here i am!

I have the outaw 1050, Harman Kardon AVR 120, and a pioneer SX 950, all hookrd up in conjunction, and am happy with all 3!

the harman and pioneer are bright, and the outlaw is as smooth as cream pie!

Any questions ill be glad to answer.

outlaw 1050

Cornwall 1s front

Academy center

RS-3s rear

RC-3 rear center

rockford fosgate sub dual 10 inch

pyramid amp to power sub

K-33-E in a homemade box, in conjunction with the fosgates

Apex DVD for now

Harman Kardon AVR 120

Cornwall 1s

Harman Kardon FL 8380 CD player

SS.5s rear,

Pioneer SX 950

Harman Kardon 7325 CD player

Cornwall 1s A

Cornwall 1s B

2 channel

All systems on the same 2 sets of corwalls!

I bought the SS.5s, their to small so i just threw them on the Harman, for kicks!

I have 12 toggle switches to run all 3 systems!

Nothing burned up yet LOL, i just have to be carefull not to have 2 systems on, and turn the toggles off for +- for each set thats on the systems not being used!

This works out pretty well, now i dont have to keep moving recievers around to listen to them.

Regards Jim

I second the Outlaw.

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

Thanks all for your replies.I'm gonna see what the best deal I can get between the dennon3802 and 4802,and the yammy 3200 and 3000.I might just take a peak at the marantzsr8200. If anyone need some prices on these recievers let me know I've been searching the web like a crazed person and got them down to the lowest I can find(My headaches finally easing up now that am done doing all the research). tommorrow I'll do the haggling with the dealers on the phone hehe.Btw order most of my speaks got klf-20s, c-7, Probably gonna go with rs3II's for the surrounds for now. Gonna order either the earthquake super nova mkIV or maybe svs line(can get the earthquake for 800 demo model though).Thanks again for all your help I have learned a hell of alot from this forum(I've read almost evry post hehe).CYA on the boards :-)

------------------

turn it up hmmph i said turn it up

I work at sears and i compared a yamaha htr 5460 i believe which is 500 bucks to a denon 1602 which i think is 400 or cheaper. I hooked them up to the same speakers a 300 dollar pair of yamaha speakers and the same cd player some sony for 500 bucks connected to analoge audio jacks and the better sound hands down went with the denon. The denon was more clear, separated and seemed to have more power for the speakers. The tuner was much better than the yamaha also. THe denon sound was more up front warmer and refined compared to the yamaha watching listening to dvd's and cd's. The yamaha sound was more laid back bright and drier and not as clear or clean. I have a yamaha rxv800 and it is the same kind of sonic sound as this yamaha I tested. I now know that the yamaha is the weak link in my system and i do want to try out a denon 3802 on my speakers.

You work at Sears! I work at Wal-Mart ...what a small world it is.

NOT

Rob,

Do you work for Cambridge Noise Works?

"My Yammie sounds better than Denons costing hundreds more. "

...sounds better than X costing hundreds more

Sure suuuuure

The 4802 takes on your reciever any day(and the Denoon does not have the pathetic impedance selector...

cwm3.gif )

Ha the amp is so weak they put load switch(4 or 8 Ohms!)HA

What is next ?

Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Get the Denon AVR-4802! Smile.gif

------------------

Home Theater:

Display: Sony VPL-VW11HT 16:9 LCD Projector

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900 (European version)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

I currently have a SONY STR-DE975 for the money and

features its awesome. Ive had this for about a year

now and plan on upgrading to either a Denon 1802, HK

AVR320, or a Outlaw 1050.. I have heard tons of great

things on the Outlaw and so far it seams reciever wise

Denon is the favorite of Klipsch fans but also how do

the HK recievers do with Klipsch's i like the AVR310,510

and newer 320. So far im leaning towards the outlaw

the most for price and quality.. any opinions or facts

to help me in my choice would be greatly apreciated.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

The Harman Kardon i have is a bit bright, i have the bass up a notch, the outlaw so far is the most even sound for the money!

The old pioneer SX 950 is a little bright, but its like a bomb in power and sound, plus i can run 4 cornwalls with ease!

I have all 3 in conjunction,, and listen to them one at a time, instead of constanty hooking each one up!

Regards Jim

HalfD:

You should consider what your priority in listening will be. Do you value 2 channel audio as well as HT? Will you use the receiver for both? What main speakers are you driving? If they're Klipsch, there's a tendancy for brightness and even harshness especially in 2 channel mode. The Marantz is one beautiful match to tame that harshness. It's great for HT and shines for 2 channel audio (and what a great remote). Give Marantz, and others, a listen in your environment B4 you make your decision.

Regards,

Stu

Damn! Nice curve ball Ears, do you play little league baseballSmile.gif Does having a load switch indicate a weak amp (Hummmm)? You got me on that one! Let me post the question in a few chatrooms and due some reading.

As Arnie would said, "I'll be back."

cwm1.gif

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 02-04-2002 at 03:45 PM