RSW15 versus Epik Conquest versus SVS PB ultra

askbob1

I am upgrading subs and have a chance to buy a new (un-used) rsw 15. the problem is that it is probably going to cost close to what i can buy the epik conquest or the SVS pb13 for. close as in a couple of hundred dollars. although i have heard the rsw up close and personal, i'm looking for some input as to how it compares to the epik conquest or the pb 13. i listen to mostly music on my system with an occassional movie or two. the size of the epik is not much of a concern. any input is much appreciated!!

Well............. I don't know what to tell you. Helpful, huh? The Epik and PB13U will have much more output down low. Appaently they are brutal subs. I do not know how they do with music when calibrated properly. For me, my RSW-15 is the cat's meow with music. I listen mostly to music with my RSW-15 and an occasional movie, too. In the 5 years I have had it, I have never wished I had another sub. But it could be because I don't know what I might be missing. [:$]

Nousaine tested the Conquest to have very slightly more output than the RSW-15 over his 25-62Hz average output range (25, 32, 40, 50, and 60Hz measurements.) I'm sure if he used a couple more data points below 25Hz that the Conquest would have significantly more average output.

I hate to say it but I would go for the Conquest, or the SVS PB13 in that order. By all accounts the SVS is great with music. There is less of a consensus on the Conquest's musicality, but I've not heard anything bad about it. All should be comparable above 30hz but below that the RSW is probably not in the same league.

• 2 weeks later...

Having the pb 13 and listening to the RSW 15 I would say that the RSW seems to have more punch/impact than the pb13. The SVS I feel is a much smoother sub in it's overall deliverance of bass across it's entire FR. I listen primarily to music (when the wifes not home) then comes HT. IMO the SVS does an absolute fantastic job in delivering the goods with 2ch music, and with HT, its a whole different story with LFE. I think the overall smoothness of the SVS with the nice punchy impact of the RF 7s ( or RF 5s in my case) make for a nice combo. When I say the SVS is smoother does not mean that the SVS does not have punch because it definitely will shake the couch from under you and steal your breath away as it pressurizes the room with bass drum kicks (at only a 1/4 gain and -10dB on the reciever in a 2700^3 room). Having not heard the conquest cannot compare. I would suggest the SVS in all aplications as it can keep up with with double bass pedals and excels in every HT aspect.

The wife was a little freaked out / upset with the PB 13 was delivered but after it got setup and we watched a movie she said that it made a huge impact on the overall experience of watching movies. She actually stays up the whole time during movies now.....Not sure if it's the excitement of the impact that keeps you wanting more or the floors shaking. Either way watching movies and listening to music with the PB 13 ultra is no longer only a listening experince it's also the the feel the movies have now ( I personally can't hear 20Hz but i sure in the heck fell it).

The SVS I feel is a much smoother sub in it's overall deliverance of bass across it's entire FR.

I agree. I run an SVS PB-12 Ultra/2 and RSW-15's. They compliment each other very well.

The smooth deep bass from the SVS just oozes into the speakers. The punch from the RSW-15's as well as from four RF-7's is a match made in heaven. [:D]

When I read rf-7's, rc-7, rs-7's... I said well duuuuuugh... Go get the RSW 15. It was made for that system!

Seriously, it melts with it beautifully!

I also say get the sub made to "blend" with your system. But either way, what ever you choose, I think you'll be happy. There are all great subs........

In the 5 years I have had it, I have never wished I had another sub. But it could be because I don't know what I might be missing. Embarrassed

Just feel lucky you do not know. I have a Velodyne DD-18 and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, that has heard this beast in my setup in action on music or HT has required help removing their jaw from the floor. The guy I bought it from replaced it with two RT-12d subs and wanted to buy the Velodyne back......

In the 5 years I have had it, I have never wished I had another sub. But it could be because I don't know what I might be missing. Embarrassed

Just feel lucky you do not know. I have a Velodyne DD-18 and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, that has heard this beast in my setup in action on music or HT has required help removing their jaw from the floor. The guy I bought it from replaced it with two RT-12d subs and wanted to buy the Velodyne back......

Your Velodyne DD-18 is as far removed price wise from the subs mentioned as a Velodyne DD-18/12 is from your sub, just as my pair of Velodyne HGS-18IIs were when they were new. I have done a side by side A/B comparison and used a dB meter onan RSW-15 right next to one of my Velodynes. Obviously for cosmetic reasons, go with the RSW, especially if your system is in cherry or maple. The Klipsch is fine for music where you don't need true sub sonic bass, but if you primarly watch movies, then my old Velodynes kick the RSW-15s butt, and the EAR says the Conquest kicks even the DD18s butt in Sub Bass extention at half the price.

Roger

well, after getting a super nice black rsw-15 that is practically flawless, i'm not sure if i like it or not. i'm so used to the ported sound of subs i've always had. the passive radiator sounds a lot like a sealed sub, which basically it is. i'm going to try some different placements, but so far, i like the sound of the rw-12d i sold better!!? decisions, decisions...

Play with it some. I have the same speakers as you (except I use RF3II's for my rear speakers), and once you get that RSW15 set up properly you will be very happy with it.

I personally don't buy into the "music vs movies" argument. A good speaker is a good speaker, a bad speaker is a bad speaker. It makes absolutly no difference what the source is. The way the source is recorded/produced is the issue. I've heard music on my system that would put the soundtrack to a movie to shame just as I have heard movie soundtracks that would put some music to shame.

I personally don't buy into the "music vs movies" argument. A good speaker is a good speaker, a bad speaker is a bad speaker. It makes absolutly no difference what the source is. The way the source is recorded/produced is the issue. I've heard music on my system that would put the soundtrack to a movie to shame just as I have heard movie soundtracks that would put some music to shame.

Unless you listen to a lot of organ music, there's much more info on a movie's soundtrack below 20 Hz than on most music soundtracks. A good movie sub will reach down to the teens with authority. The music sub will have good slam in the 40to 70 Hz range like the RSW's.

Play with it some. I have the same speakers as you (except I use RF3II's for my rear speakers), and once you get that RSW15 set up properly you will be very happy with it.

bhenry,

You don't have to buy into it, but you would still be just as wrong. I can't speak on what everyone else is saying, but my Velodyne HGS-18IIs go down to 15Hz, the DD-18 is suposed to still have good output to 13Hz before falling off. How much music do you listen to that plays 13 Hz, unless it is a competitiion CD, or a bunch of Rap Crap, I doubt any, but on movies, you better believe that information is present on explosions and gun shots. If you primarily listen to music, then the RSW-15 will fill the bill, and you don't need a $3,000 or $5000 sub. If you want alot of true sub sonic Bass, then you need a better sub. The Conquest has the Db output and can dig that low, butwill it sound as accurate on music without an accelorometer on the voice coil as a Velodyne?? The Velodyne can do both well, but you are talking twice the money for one sub compared to the others discussed. The RSW-15 can play accurate in the frequencies needed for music, but is not going to have the response to cover alot of movie information. The Conquest is going to be able to play lower and louder than the RSW-15 / better for movies, but will it play as accurately and blend with his other speakers as well for music, I think not. It is a compromise at a $1500 level. Does this clear it up better for you???

Roger

Unless you listen to a lot of organ music, there's much more info on a movie's soundtrack below 20 Hz than on most music soundtracks. A good movie sub will reach down to the teens with authority. The music sub will have good slam in the 40to 70 Hz range like the RSW's.

I was typing before you replied, but I think we agree....

Roger

I just got the deal of a lifetime and picked up a RSW-15 for 450.00! I haven't had the pleasure of listening to the other subs mentioned but I can say the RSW sounds amazing with my RF-7s and blends seamlessly, much better than the dual RSW-10s I used to own. Obviously, I noticed that placement and settings were a big factors and little tweaks made all the difference. I listen fairly loud with movies and music (music around 98 db and movies at reference) and have never longed for more bass. I have heard the ML descent, some velos, and some other Klipsch subs and I am overly satisfied with the performance of this sub. I love the look (of course I do, I own the RF-7s), I really love its musical nimbleness and blend, and in my mind I couldn't have gotten anything better for 450! So, those are my thoughts. I almost got dual MFW-15s for 1,060 but the deal fell through and I got the RSW-15. Keep up with the tinkering and placement, I'm sure you will find its place. If not, good luck with your next purchase; there are many to greats to choose from!

well, after getting a super nice black rsw-15 that is practically flawless, i'm not sure if i like it or not. i'm so used to the ported sound of subs i've always had. the passive radiator sounds a lot like a sealed sub, which basically it is. i'm going to try some different placements, but so far, i like the sound of the rw-12d i sold better!!? decisions, decisions...

askbob1,

Location may have the biggest influence.......but when dialed in properly, it will blend perfect with your 7's.

If you've got the room and the bread, you may want to consider another sub that goes deeper in addition to the RSW-15. (like the other subs mentioned in this thread). Your 7's and the RSW-15 will handle the mid-bass......and whatever sub you get for the real deep bass will compliment each other giving you some serious headroom. Headroom is where it's at. [Y]

If you need me to spend any more of your money.....just let me know. [;)]

Good Luck.

definitely a smokin deal for 450 stiffy!

the more i listen, the more i start to like it. i only have a few places in the room to put it, so that may be a small limiting factor. it absolutely blends well with the 7's and looks the part too.

i agree 100% with you swl about headroom is where it's at. my end plan was to always have 2 subs to compliment each other, but then i hear some horror stories about getting 2 placed in the right spots in the same room.

right now, the sub is against the ajoining wall that the front mains are on(about 3 ft out from the corner). i'm going to try and put it on the same wall along side one of the front mains and see how that works.