The Beatles White Album 40 Years Old

seti

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

>My apologies if I made that sound like a "gotcha" post - it wasn't intended to beCool. Thought it worth mentioning, however, given the comments. It is also worth noting that this performance was released by Phish as a part of thier "Phish Live" series (as "Phish Live - 10-31-94"). Worth checking out if that sorta thing interests you.....

Not a problem AN. I don't get out much and do not know the Phish.

Dave

In regards to the overall musical output, start to finish, it is hard to imagine that anyone beyond the 4 beatles having more of an influence than George Martin. Certainly not Pete Best, Stuart Suttcliff or recording engineers.

Josh

Sorry I was just being a pita about Stu and Pete but the engineers were a huge help at least on the more psychedelic material. Then again so was G Martin.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/books/berklee/geoff.php

excerpt

Do you think there’s something to the notion that bigger

is better in terms of recording equipment?

[Laughs] Well, that’s because it was all tube equipment. All

the albums up until Abbey Road were recorded through a tube

desk. Abbey Road was the first album that was recorded through

an EMI transistorized desk, and I couldn’t get the same sounds

at all . . . . There was presence and depth that the transistors

just wouldn’t give me that the tubes did.

That must have been frustrating.

Oh, it was. But, of course, it gave a texture to the Abbey Road

album, after all, which is quite pleasant. But at first, being used

to the tube desk and being confronted with the transistorized desk,

it was like chalk and cheese. It was hard. And there was nothing

I could do about it except craft the music around it. It was a much

softer sort of texture.

When Studer came out with their transistorized multitrack tape machines,

we were A/B-ing with an MCI 8-track, and the same thing happened.

The tape machine just wouldn’t produce the same snare or bass

drum sound. And, of course, they could never give you an answer.

You could only hear it and say to the people from Studer, “Why

does it sound this way?”

Do you remember Howard Cosell's introduction of the "Bay City Rollers" as the greatest band since the "Beatles"?

So that was Howard who said that... always the troublemaker he was.

"S... a ... t ... u ... r ... d ... a ... y ... Saturday Night... " [:$] a line, or at least very similar to a line from a Bay City Rollers song, why am I tortured to remember such drivel?

Let's see teen bopper flash in the pan maybe a couple of bubble gum hits compared to the Beatles... just what were the people smokin' who made those claims?!

Yeah, but by saying "since" they get away with it, especially the closer you get to the fab four's demise. After all, to old farts of the day, the beatles actually started with a couple of teeny bopper hits too. Since does not say better or even comparable.

A better question might be what weren't they smoking and why not?

Yeah, but by saying "since" they get away with it, especially the closer you get to the fab four's demise. After all, to old farts of the day, the beatles actually started with a couple of teeny bopper hits too. Since does not say better or even comparable.

A better question might be what weren't they smoking and why not?

Indeed. As I recall (none too clearly), what we were smoking then made our judgement of music much, much better. There was no middle ground. You either absolutely merged with it in total rapture and ecstasy or you ran from it like the angels of hell were right on your tail.

Dave

Bruce, my old friend...

By the Grace of God I enjoyed those years. They were brought to an end by the stupidity of man who can take a common weed of no value and make it more valuable than gold and worth killing over. Quite an improvement alright, and I'm sure we'll win the war any day now.

Dave

I enjoyed them too, no doubt about it. I just didn't accomplish much... and no, that war will never be won, nor the war on poverty, the war on terrorism, Too open ended... time to go befoe the thread gets locked, lol. [:#]

Bruce

Fer shure. I regretted my comment after the fact. Not the place for such, but sometimes the topics do wander close to the fire.

There's a time and a place for everything.

I spoke to Patrick Waites, Director of Love Street Light Circus, yesterday and he is excited about my recording and the HD video I made. He is especially interested in it as a diagnostic tool. He says it is quite possible they will repeat this performance.

He is interested in my diagnosis of the acoustics (very poor, though beautiful as you can see from the pix below), the choice of mikes for the acoustic instruments (they all sounded like synthetics), and the speakers (if it's not Klipsch, it's KRAP).

Further, I'd position SoundCube in the perfect position for music, not just an ambient experience the next time. He would also want to get a second roving HD videographer (I happen to know one of those as well!) so as to have material for a DVD/BluRay.

Something could come of this...

Dave

And to think I gave away 500 LP's in the 80's including many original Beatles, Stones, Who albums. Just to replace them with the ultimate format-the CD!

I was 13 when the White album came out! Funny, I thought I was older. If you remember the 60's, you weren't really there!