The Beatles White Album 40 Years Old

seti

Well I'm not as fortunate to have been born the in the '60s, so the popular music from my "younger days" is something along the lines of this:

How depressing!

I often wonder if good music like that found on the White Album will ever be made again.

I'd wager no.

Anyway, to celebrate the white album's 40th birthday, Led Zeppelin will be displaced for one month on my avatar.

<----------

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think "The White Album" really holds up as well as most other Beatles albums. It would have been a killer if trimmed down to a single album, though. Revolution 9 is the very epitome of wretched, self-indulgent excess. And Paul McCartney had some of the most trite, throwaway stuff of his career on there. I admit there is still a lot of good stuff, though. Rev 1 is a fave and I just love "Why Don't We Do It In The Road".

And speaking of which...Why don't we do it in the road?

I couldn't disagree more. Maybe it could have been trimmed down to 1 1/2 sides but there's just too much genius to go beyond that IMHO. I love the side with "Martha My Dear" (nice use of the tuba!), "I'm So Tired," etc. "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" would be one song I'd get rid of along with "Revolution 9."

I have a MOFI pressing that I play all the time. I also have an original pressing with the serial # stamped on the cover. It's by far my favorite Beatles LP and that's saying something!

Hey Gary,

I have an original pressing as well, also a very early reissue. How does your orignal compare to the mofi?

Jay

Jay,

Some complain that MOFI EQ'd The White Album to give it extra bass & treble but I think it blows away the original. I think it's the best Beatles MOFI recording beating Abbey Rd by a nose.

Yes, one of the best of all time IMHO also.

Has anyone heard the "far away" ~ "explosion"........almost like a nuclear blast 20 miles away, somewhere near the end of Dear Prudence? (I think thats where its at) It seems to be coming more from the left side. It's a very "erry" sound.

Is that one of the tidbits that didn't make it to the cd version of the song. I'll have to go back and give it a listen.

I don't know about the CD version. I have the original and the original MSFL reissue both on vinyl. I listen to the MFSL version.

The first time I heard this (very distant explosion) I ran up stairs in a panic and said to my wife "Did you hear that?!!" (She didn't). I replayed the part and it was certainly there. Admittedly this was after I had my room built. The room has a natural resonance at 19Hz. That, coupled with the low noise floor, possibly has something to do with it? Maybe some of you guys with killer subs might want to give this a listen.

Some of you may recall that I posted recently about recording a complete performance of "White Album." To my knowledge, no one has attempted a complete performance of a Beatles studio album, but I can tell you the charts were awesome and it was a marvelous experience.

Uhhhhhh, yeah - it's been done before - The White Album, in fact - Phish performed it on October 31, 1994, in Glens Falls, NY. This was the first in what became a Phish "tradition" of the "musical costume", where Phish would perform another band's entire album live on Halloween (the middle set of a three set show). One of the coolest concepts and traditions of any live band - EVAH.

Some of you may recall that I posted recently about recording a complete performance of "White Album." To my knowledge, no one has attempted a complete performance of a Beatles studio album, but I can tell you the charts were awesome and it was a marvelous experience.

Uhhhhhh, yeah - it's been done before - The White Album, in fact - Phish performed it on October 31, 1994, in Glens Falls, NY. This was the first in what became a Phish "tradition" of the "musical costume", where Phish would perform another band's entire album live on Halloween (the middle set of a three set show). One of the coolest concepts and traditions of any live band - EVAH.

That's why I said "to my knowledge." It is not often attempted and 1994 is a while ago.

Dave

The "white vinyl" set was released around the time I graduated from High School, so I'm thinking '77 or '78. There was also the 60's hits in the double album set that they released in red, and the 70's double album set in blue. On my table they didn't sound as good as the original normal releases.

The band was in the early stages of falling apart while recording The White Album. McCartney was so disgusted with some of the drumming he would sneak into the studio at 3AM and redo it. "Why don't we do it in the Road" is all Paul -- he plays all of the instruments. "The Ballad of John and Yoko" is just John and Paul - no Ringo or George. There's quite a bit of that kind of thing going on with the White Album. I think the album is a testament to how great they really were -- even when things were beginning to completely come apart at the seams, they could still make it happen. There's some really excellent stuff on that recording. Three of my personal favorites are "Rocky Racoon", "Happiness is a Warm Gun", and "Julia" -- which I still think has some of the greatest lyrics in a love song ever written.

The "white vinyl" set was released around the time I graduated from High School, so I'm thinking '77 or '78. There was also the 60's hits in the double album set that they released in red, and the 70's double album set in blue. On my table they didn't sound as good as the original normal releases.

The band was in the early stages of falling apart while recording The White Album. McCartney was so disgusted with some of the drumming he would sneak into the studio at 3AM and redo it. "Why don't we do it in the Road" is all Paul -- he plays all of the instruments. "The Ballad of John and Yoko" is just John and Paul - no Ringo or George. There's quite a bit of that kind of thing going on with the White Album. I think the album is a testament to how great they really were -- even when things were beginning to completely come apart at the seams, they could still make it happen. There's some really excellent stuff on that recording. Three of my personal favorites are "Rocky Racoon", "Happiness is a Warm Gun", and "Julia" -- which I still think has some of the greatest lyrics in a love song ever written.

51QC58GKFRL._SS500_.jpg

I have a book called The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions. It is based on the incredible documentation of the EMI engineers who were the 5th Beatles. They played an enormous role in helping the band. It is a day by day look at how and what they did in the studios along with great stories. The book is very detailed and is a must have for any Beatle-o-phile. There is one story where after recording SgtPeppers on four track that John finds out that they had a 12 track in the lab they were getting ready for production. He went bonkers especially after working so hard to do Sgt on a 4 track. Incredible.

"I have a book called The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions. It is based on the incredible documentation of the EMI engineers who were the 5th Beatles."

I always thought that George Martin was the 5th Beatle

Yeah that is just my opinion. The Beatles would ask for the craziest things and the engineers would do their best to do it. There were four EMI patents filed just from weird devices that John asked to be made. If you want to be technical there was Pete Best and Stuart Suttcliffe as well.

That's why I said "to my knowledge." It is not often attempted and 1994 is a while ago.

Dave

My apologies if I made that sound like a "gotcha" post - it wasn't intended to be[H]. Thought it worth mentioning, however, given the comments. It is also worth noting that this performance was released by Phish as a part of thier "Phish Live" series (as "Phish Live - 10-31-94"). Worth checking out if that sorta thing interests you.....