Crossovers for LaScala

CIGARBUM

I have recently purchased a pair of 1980 LaScalas,(bring then home this weekend) the crossovers have never been touched. I will be running this with a MC275 and C-29, can anyone make a suggestion of what type of crossover I need, or just ask Bob C.

What do I listen to; Otis Redding, Simon & Garfunkle, Beatles, Neil Diamond, some classical, some country, Southern Soul/Blues.

Looking for suggestions

Thanks

They should be AA's. The AL's did not appear until late 82-early 83. Caps are Aerovox "cans". The oil inside the cans is probably dried out. Bob has cap sets for them for DIY or you can send them to him, etc. There are a wide range of options for upgrade, ranging from AL-3's, etc. or even ALK extreme slope crossovers, etc. I have a pair of Bob's A/AA's in my 78's, but have also used a pair of Bob's A/4500's for awhile. I'm sure alot of folks can chime in on what they have.

I have a pair of type A's (just built this summer) for sale, if you're interested. I dropped the squawker tap down -3db, changed the mid x-over cap appropriately, balance sounds best to me, a little less hot in the mids. I'm messing with some different high-end drivers, so no longer need the A's. If you listen to low to moderately loud volumes, the A's (IMO) sound best. If you really crank it, extreme slopes are better (and pricier). $130.00 for the pair. Let me know if you'd like pics.

Re-capping your AA's is the cheapest way to go, and will yield good results.

My A's will definitely give you a warmer sound, as compared to the stock A's or AA's, because I've dropped the level of the squawker a bit. Listening to your stock crossovers will give you a good idea of what you're looking for. I'll get some pics to you tonight.

If you ever get the intrigue to tinker with them, you can always swing up my way and give a side by side listen to a LaScala with Al K's "ESN" networks in them, next to a JubeScala with a K402.

(I know the 402 isn't always home friendly, but there also exists the K510 and most that have heard it like the improvement over the stock LaScala)

We could schlep them outside so room issues would be removed and you can hear the speaker side by side...

Actually, if you pick a network...you could bring it also and put it into my THIRD LaScala and do a 3 way compare... your network of choice, Al K's ESN network and the 2-way Jubescala.

I don't have any tubes anymore though, other than tube preamp

Just an offer for (if) and when you get curious

I was very happy with the ALK Universal networks in the La Scalas that I sent over to the UK. They indeed sounded warmer with less edge, but still very much like La Scalas. My experience with ALK has always been very good. Every time I order something from Al, it exceeds my expectations. Not the cheapest option, but you will not be disappointed with the component or build quality. If you want to sell them later, you'll take a 20% hit, but I doubt you'll want to sell them.

Greg

The ALK Universal is still a lower order crossover, which does seem to sound better at lower volumes.Al's crossovers provide a constant impedance to the amp, as opposed to the original Klipsch crossovers. This can be beneficial with some amps. THe DHA2 crossovers I built are also constant impedance, low order, and work great with my 3.5watt 2A3 tube amps. Your Mac will put out a bit more, but you also aren't pushing them very hard.

I pulled the squawker down a small bit on my LS as well. The sound is wonderful.

If you were a little closer, you could come visit. Driving east-west across the north end of the state just isn't a very fast trip. [:(]

Bruce

You're too close not to come visit and do some listening. Marvel has a nice set of crossovers he built. I have some nearly stock Type AAs, like yours and a set of Klappenberger's universal A replacements. My listening room is also torn up from sheetrock work. I need to get to work!

I prefer Type AA, like you have, but as old as yours are, they are not likely to be working well. So, if I were you, I'd replace the capacitors with new of the same value as soon as you can and listen for a while.

Al's Type A replacements run the tweeters about 2 dB hotter than Type AAs. That is noticible. The response curve is very flat, though. They are just a bit brighter than the AAs I'm used to and first heard.

The DHA series also runs the tweeter 2 dB hotter and depending on the rev. level leaves an even hotter bump in the low end of the tweeter response curve.

Dean's AAs are sort of a hybrid of the 2 above.

Depending on your ears and your room, you might want to pad the tweeter down with a design other than the AA.

Your MC275 has enough power that you should have some sort of tweeter protection if you use a crossover with a first-order tweeter high-pass filter (a single cap for the tweeter).