LaScala's and Sexy Nude Women

SWL

........That always works. [:P]

Anyone care to comment on:

Two LaScala's vs. Four RF-7's ???

I've got the itch again. I've had some Heritage speakers before.......Forte ll's, Heresy's, KG's and Chorus. I've heard them all except Belles and Jubs. The ones that I owned never sounded as good as my beloved RF-7's.

If I was to change speakers....I'd go with LaScala's. I have the subbage to make them rumble.......but four RF-7's is hard to beat. So what do you guys think?

PS. My preference is not only based on sound quality......but overall impact......gotta knock their socks off. [Y]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my listening and reading exerience

1. The 7's seem to take a unique amount of power to bring them to there best. However they take less room space thus better visually.

2. The LaScalas are an awesome speaker, but seem to need a sub for lower end music........... Howerver they hog up lots of space.......

3. Boils down to budget, looks and what specific sound is good for your tastes............

Yes you tricked me...............[:P]

The thing is with the LaScala's is once you get the itch again, there are so many options out there to tinker with. New crossovers, different midrange horns and drivers, and tweeters too! Soon you'll be broke like many of us, and the itch will be cured...... With the RF-7's it's pretty much a one shot deal.... You can't brag to your friends that you actually d****** with the already great design and made it better!

Not that it matters but, I own three LaScalas, two Altec 511E's, two Altec 290's, three JBL 2404H's and a Klipsch RT-12D sub. (Ok, I have a few more 511's and asst. other drivers...I'm not addicted... I'm broke... I'll be "HAPPY" when I can modify the cabinets to hold the above...and upgrade the crossover....and...

It doesn't get much better in my mind....but I've never heard the Jube.

Be careful what you ask for... [;)]

TC

PS. My preference is not only based on sound quality......but overall impact......gotta knock their socks off.

SWL,

If your goal is to truly "knock their socks off", then the BEST choice, imho, is one pair of Jubilees. Two Jubilees will absolutely smoke four LaScalas PLUS four RF-7's. In addition to impact, they will also be the most accurate you have ever heard. Best of both worlds.

I have owned all three and speak from first hand experience. I sold the RF-7's. The LaScala's are my garage and outdoor speakers. The Jubilees are the pinnacle of audio. PERIOD. (MWM's + 402/k69=really fine, too, but won't fit in your room.

The Jubs are so good that you won't even notice the sexy, nude women in your room.

Get the Jubs!

PS. My preference is not only based on sound quality......but overall impact......gotta knock their socks off.

SWL,

If your goal is to truly "knock their socks off", then the BEST choice, imho, is one pair of Jubilees. Two Jubilees will absolutely smoke four LaScalas PLUS four RF-7's. In addition to impact, they will also be the most accurate you have ever heard. Best of both worlds.

I have owned all three and speak from first hand experience. I sold the RF-7's. The LaScala's are my garage and outdoor speakers. The Jubilees are the pinnacle of audio. PERIOD. (MWM's + 402/k69=really fine, too, but won't fit in your room.

The Jubs are so good that you won't even notice the sexy, nude women in your room.

Get the Jubs!

Thanks bhendrix,

This is what I think I know so far:

LaScala's new = 5 grand

Jubs new = 7 grand......but.......do they come with a crossover network? I thought I read that they didn't......if not, more $$$?

I've also heard that without the "bigger" horn they are not much better than the Khorn......that the bigger horn is where it's at. Is this true? If so, how much more for the bigger horn (the 402) ?

So, I can see if I were to buy LaScala's for 5 grand.......why not just get Jubs for 7 grand? Room size not an issue because the basement is the future mancave. However, if the crossover network and the bigger horn are neccessary......how much money are we talking?

Please correct any of my inaccurate assumptions.

What he said.

To clarify... the reason you won't even notice the sexy nude women in your room is because there will then be TOO many for you go notice...you'll simply get used to them...

Trust me, it's true...would we all lie?

[:^)]

Jubs new = 7 grand......but.......do they come with a crossover network? I thought I read that they didn't......if not, more $$$?

Alas, they do not. You can go passive or active. On the active side, new Dx38 is "about" $1,300, used if you get lucky, about $600/700. you can put even MORE than that into parts alone for a passive (so it seems)

I've also heard that without the "bigger" horn they are not much better than the Khorn

I'd disagree

that the bigger horn is where it's at. Is this true?

You clearly are not married, are you? [A] Bigger is always better.... [*-)] (to answer your question, in my opinion, yes, get the 402 and go all out...besides, it "fits" the speaker better than the smaller horn, visually)

If so, how much more for the bigger horn (the 402) ?

The $7,000 tag includes the K402 with K69 perched on back, delivered to a domestic US address in the lower 48

So, I can see if I were to buy LaScala's for 5 grand.......why not just get Jubs for 7 grand?

You're talking new LaScalas, I don't know their street price. Your logic is otherwise (to me) flawless

However, if the crossover network and the bigger horn are neccessary......how much money are we talking?

Call it $8,300 for new Jubilees and new Dx38 in your hands. Do you have sufficent ampage to biamp them? Or, you could go passive but there are other benefits of active (biamping, time alignment and we've added a boost at 32hz to give them some extra authority with nomimal distortion added)

Now, ready for a twist?

I'm doing this to simply show you more choices and to be a thorn in your side....

You could find some used LaScalas, only need the woofer section... buy some K402s/K69's (about $2,000 for a pair delivered) and also a dx38 $1,300.

Add the K402 on top of the LaScalas and make a JubeScala.

Least expensive way to get 90% of the Jubilee sound. You could even go less money and use the K510 but isn't it cool to have a horn that is LARGER than a LaScala, sitting on top of a LaScala?

Speaking of little cube speakers..... went into a **** store at an outlet mall on Black Friday.

The mother-out-law used to want one of those find-it-in-an-ocean radios just to see how much they're selling 'em for. Maybe she still wants one, I dunno, but may have convinced her the Cambridge Soundworks at a C not or more less would probably be much better and you can still use the darn thing after one of the grandkids (nana probably) lost the tiny little credit card sized remote.

Woo boy, a whole $50 off so like $450 instead of $500. I hope that was new and you'd save more than $50 for a refurbished one... of course do they reallly have to refurbish a lot of the returns.... or is it more like "... $500 and where's the promised sounds like a bigger system costing thousands more!?...." Anyway, our 14 year old daughter couldn't wait to get out of there, like it was making her nauseous or something.... well those little $500 radio / CD players do kind of turn my stomach too.

Maybe she's becoming hooked?

She was quit impressed and noticed a big difference in sound in the A/B demo / test at the Pilgrimage last June.... though she did think the non-Klipsch speakers sounded quite a bit better than doctor's office background music... and recently said something about wanting some BIG speakers of her own... Number 3 is getting the idea, now to get number 2, but more importantly, number 1 to see (hear?) the light.

SWL

My friend, Coytee, has given you several additional options, but hasn't yet listed the simplest option of all. Crown XTi 1000 amps.

The Crown XTi 1000 can be purchased from Full Compass ( or other places ) for around $420. The amp includes a DSP system that includes the crossover, delay, and all the EQ you need to power the Jubilee. The left channel of the amp powers the woofer, the right channel powers the tweeter. Roy has provided us with all the settings for the XTi to make your Jubs sing.

Several of us are powering our Jubilees with 2 Crown XTi 1000 amps.

For about $7500, you can have a pair of Jubilees (with the 402 horns and k/69 tweeter driver) with amps (incl. xover, delay, and EQ), delivered to your door.

The 510 horn (smaller of the two) is quite good. The 402, imho, is spectacular. It does a much better job of controlling dispersion in the room.

This setup is absolutely guaranteed to "knock their socks off"!!!

My friend, Coytee, has given you several additional options, but hasn't yet listed the simplest option of all. Crown XTi 1000 amps.

Well, we all know that solid state sux, right? [:P]. I figure as (proud) owner of two Crown K2's and a dbx BX3 (BX3 currently in use) I can say that [;)]

I will say though that I'm tickled I got the Dx. It allows full flexibility and I can swap out between SS, tubes, mix/match...heck, I can even hook my 2 pet squirrels in their cage to a dynamo and play that sound.

Bill is (yet again) dead on right. The most cost effective solution is the Xti's. They sound good too, in spite of what some might say. The Xti solution also has a benefit over the Dx38 solution in that you have a built in 48 db slope crossover whereas the Dx has a 24db slope network. I did once have a chance to hear that difference and I thought the 48db slope brought more clarity to the sound.

Ultimately, it depends on your end goal and Mr. Budget.

Regarding the K510/K402, I've heard them both. Both are killer. As I understand it, the larger horn is (technically) a better horn for controlling the sound. This is evidently, even a bigger bonus the smaller room you put it into (which I found to be ironic).

What I can say from first hand.. and I've said this before.

When I went to the Klipschfest at Indy a year ago, they had two Jubilee setups, same room. One had K402, other had K510. I went back & fourth a couple times to hear them and from an on axis position, they were close enough that for my ears, it would be a tossup.

Later, since I had a pair at home and wanted to give others better access without ME mixed in the crowd, I sat down. Ironically, I chose a table that was in between the two. Several of us were sitting there yacking as the crowd went back/forth across the room to hear the two different renditions.

During THIS is when I had my ephiphany.

I was now listening to them OFF axis. Once I got out of the field of view of both top horns, the differences between them became much more clear to me. The K510 system sounded like the whole upper frequency range was distinctly muted whereas the K402 system carried MUCH more HF material to my sitting position.

It doesn't really matter which you might choose... even new LaScalas will knock someones socks off! I can vouch for that since MY (older style) LaScalas still knock my socks off! yes, it's true... I'm not wearing socks right now.

the cool thing is... (think when you have the room full of sexy/nude women).... the Jubilees will also knock their underwear off.... of course, therein is the conundrum.... the Jubilees will knock the underwear off a room full of sexy nude women? [:^)]