• Recent Topic Activity

• Recent Posts

• Annnnnnd, got one inning in and the lightning started then the deluge so they called it.     Made some good use of the time though when I rolled back in.     The Nightfly is the debut solo studio album by American singer-songwriter Donald Fagen. Produced by Gary Katz, it was released October 1, 1982, by Warner Bros. Records. Fagen is best known for his work in the group Steely Dan, with whom he enjoyed a successful career since the 1970s. The band separated in 1981, leading Fagen to pursue a solo career. Although The Nightfly includes a number of production staff and musicians who had played on Steely Dan records, it was Fagen's first release without longtime collaborator Walter Becker. Unlike most of Fagen's previous work, The Nightfly is almost blatantly autobiographical. Many of the songs relate to the cautiously optimistic mood of his suburban childhood in the late 1950s and early 1960s and incorporate such topics as late-night jazz disc jockeys, fallout shelters, and tropical vacations. Recorded over eight months at various studios between New York City and Los Angeles, the album is an early example of a fully digital recording in popular music. The nascent technology, as well as the perfectionist nature of its engineers and musicians, made the album difficult to record.     This 2022 remix is ONE amazing album.  Such a great album back in the day.  If it's not in your collection I'd highly recommend it.    Revolver: Special Edition is an expanded reissue of the 1966 album Revolver by the English rock band the Beatles. It was released on 28 October 2022,[1] and includes a new stereo remix of the album by Giles Martin, with the help of de-mixing technology developed by Peter Jackson's WingNut Films, as well as the original mono mix, session recordings, demos, and an EP including new mixes of the non-album single "Paperback Writer" and its B-side, "Rain", recorded during the Revolver sessions.     Giles Martin had previously expressed interest in remixing the Beatles' pre-Sgt. Pepper albums via special "demixing" technology developed at Abbey Road Studios, but wanted to wait until the software improved enough to be used in such a project. Speaking to Rolling Stone in July 2021, Martin said that the software was "getting a lot better" and that he was "constantly looking at how we could approach it if I ever get to [remix] Revolver or Rubber Soul, early albums, which a lot of people want me to do".[2] In October 2021, Martin told Super Deluxe Edition: "I don't think it's ready at this moment in time",[3] but noted about Revolver: "There's not as much bouncing down on Revolver as there is on Pepper. There's not that many instruments, it's not that complex."[3] – Giles Martin on the "demixing" technology used to remix the album   In late August 2022, Martin confirmed via Twitter that Revolver would receive a remix,[4] with a further tweet hinting at an additional surround sound mix.[4] The reissue was officially announced on 7 September 2022.[1] Martin confirmed that the "demixing" technology had improved considerably by that point, and credited the work done by Peter Jackson's audio team in the development of The Beatles: Get Back for making the new remix possible.[1] To promote the reissue, the new mix for the album's opening track, "Taxman", was released as a preview.[5]      
    • The Lansing tournament has passed, with our team winning 60 and over triple A... Not bad, for a bunch of hockey players. 😊   Next up will be Knoxville, I will have room in the car to bring the F8 if anybody in the area is needing a great amp.
    • I thought I'd update my posts. I received the preamp back from the technician in Edmonton who replaced the majority of the caps and the stereo/mono and standby switches and I've been breaking it in for a week - probably about 30 hours on it ATM. The 12AX7 tubes are very strong 60s RCAs & Fischers and the 12AT7s are Brimars. I haven't touched the tubes that came with the VTL ST85 I purchased a couple of months ago and no idea how many hours are on them - nothing fancy - a mix of EH & JJ. The DV XV-1s was received back from a rebuild at VAS the next day. I'm running the cartridge into a Bob's Devices Sky 20 SUT into the MM phono section. Turns out the MC section was never finished in this one - it has the dip switches and inputs but there s/b a little wiring block on the back panel and it was never installed.   That gives me even more reason to think this was definitely some sort of prototype.   Turn the volume and it's whisper quiet until you hit about 1:00 o'clock then there's a small amount of hiss but for listening in my room 9:00 o'clock is plenty loud enough.   This thing is incredible. Biggest soundstage I've ever heard, esp width - at least as good as the ARC SP8 I owned years ago. While it's definitely a classic tube sound the separation between instruments and definition of them is stellar. At 63 likely this is end game for me baring a lottery win.    Cheers & happy listening.   Shawn
    • I have similar vintage La Scalas.   I built risers for my La Scalas to raise the tweeters to my ear level (at my main listening position). I haven’t been able to notice — or measure — any diminishment of the low end.  A popular mod is a DJK port. In addition to raising the La Scalas, it improves the low end response.
    • Is that the guy who was banned from the forum?  He was from California and always peddling RB-75s.
    • I have two Bill F Tuba HT subs.  They’re each 3 feet x 3 feet x 2 feet and weigh 150 pounds.  Absolutely nothing that I’ve ever owned or listened to compares to them for music or movies.
    • I don't think you would want to un couple the bass bin from the floor. If you have subs already doing low end duty it might be ok.
    • The room is odd shaped, I just listed the size for a rough description. there is an office in the back the sticks out, etc.
    • Do what I did. Embrace the pole. I mounted a tv to mine. 
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      2.4m
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    N54JS