Tinkering with my Cornwalls

I'm looking to play around with what I've got on hand and thinking about transplanting all of my Cornwall 1 components into the empty DBB's I picked up from Rudy81 a while back, which are based on JWC's final design. The K33 will bolt directly into either of the chambers, so I'd mount it to the bottom slot for better floor coupling. The squawker is too long to fit inside the upper chamber due to bracing, but I've seen random posts about moving the squawker and tweeter up on top of the cabinets with success. This would put them closer to ear height, but align them horizontally like Khorns.

Such a configuration would accommodate swapping out the top ends in the future, and even adding a second K33 if I choose.

Pros - much better build construction and bracing than the original Cornwall cabinets and they fit better into the corner. They have grills, so I won't see the gaping hole where the second woofer is missing.

Cons - Are there any?

The only cost for this is some new hookup wire and gasket material and a bunch of time to move everything over and connect, so I'm wondering if there are any glaring issues that would save me from wasting that time and money.

You would think you would lose bass through the left over opening. I would put a blocker with some gasket material to seal it, or wait is the upper and lower chamber all ready divided. If so then it may not be a problem. The only other one I could think of is the if there is to small of a chamber to get as much spl out of the box. Along with the tuning of the network for the size of the box(which I don't know if that even has anything to do with it). Though you would think it would since the crossover takes into consideration of the natural crossover, but again I could be completely wrong. It if does, it may not even be enough to notice and definitely would be worth a shot. I say go for it.

You would think you would lose bass through the left over opening. I would put a blocker with some gasket material to seal it, or wait is the upper and lower chamber all ready divided. If so then it may not be a problem. The only other one I could think of is the if there is to small of a chamber to get as much spl out of the box. Along with the tuning of the network for the size of the box(which I don't know if that even has anything to do with it). Though you would think it would since the crossover takes into consideration of the natural crossover, but again I could be completely wrong. It if does, it may not even be enough to notice and definitely would be worth a shot. I say go for it.

Sorry, let me clarify - the DBB consists of two completely isolated woofer chambers. they are shaped differently than, but of the exact same volume and port size, the cornwall interior space.

Eventually I'd like to try out different horns and drivers, but just trying to work with what i've got at the moment. These cabs make it easier to do than a stock cornwall cabinet since I don't have cover up horn holes. I guess I'm mostly wondering about negative impacts by moving the squawker and tweeter up on top of the cabinet (it's basically the same height as a cornwall) and orienting them horizontally next to each other vs. vertically in line with the woofer.

Except then I'm longer staring at empty DBB cabinets and I've laid the ground work for incremental changes in the future. And they tuck away into the corner a bit better - Reading through JWC's old threads it seemed like this configuration gave slightly better bass response vs the rectangular shape.

Like I said, I'm bored and just wanting to tinker without spending much cash. :P

• Like 1

I would use the upper chamber to keep the distance between the woofer and the mid tight. The difference in bass coupling will not have near as much impact as will the relationship between the woofer and mid at around 600Hz. You can damp the second cavity with lots on insulation to make it non resonant. Other than that sounds like a plan. Best regards Moray James.

BTW, I like that you always keep me grounded when I come up with "what about.. ?" scenarios.

It just comes out that way.

I think the big draw with the DBB's would be the ability to go 2 way with a 502 or 402 horn. Big bass, big horn. Add a couple amps, an active or passive crossover and let'er rip.

• Like 1

BTW, I like that you always keep me grounded when I come up with "what about.. ?" scenarios.

It just comes out that way.

I think the big draw with the DBB's would be the ability to go 2 way with a 502 or 402 horn. Big bass, big horn. Add a couple amps, an active or passive crossover and let'er rip.

Exactly correct! The motivation to go to the DBB is to move to a 2" driver with a large horn, hopefully allowing you to go 2 way. Otherwise, I think you will find no difference from your Cornwalls.....at best. It may sound worse due to the distance between the single woofer and the top end.

Although I totally understand the desire to tinker with things!

No horn on the DBB's, just holes for two k-33's (or similar). Rudy included some top hats but I won't be using those at this time, instead just resting the horns and crossovers on top of the cabinet.

Was the top hat for P audio ph 4525/p audio bmd 750, if so I have one I would be willing to sell.

What about adding another K33 in the vacant hole?

Eventually, absolutely. All of these suggestions are part of the "someday" flexibility. So just trying to see if it's a viable solution to throw the MF/HF drivers on top of the cab until I can buy 2 more woofers, tweak with new horns, and all of the crossover iterations to match, while keeping my "Cornwalls" in the interim.

Yes it would be fun to try, I know how you feel. Why not you have the stuff laying around right. But Carl is right you would just have something similar to your Cornwall. If you want my real advice and trust me I know I've been there before. My advice is to wait, decide if you want to by the drivers new or used. Save your money, and get 4 woofers, and an active. Then ask to borrow some horns and drivers. That way you can really play and see what you like compared to the cornwalls. Or if you just board and have nothing better to do go for it, you have nothing to lose other then time.

Except then I'm longer staring at empty DBB cabinets and I've laid the ground work for incremental changes in the future. And they tuck away into the corner a bit better - Reading through JWC's old threads it seemed like this configuration gave slightly better bass response vs the rectangular shape.

Like I said, I'm bored and just wanting to tinker without spending much cash. :P

these would be money well spent. Best regards Moray James.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151409-fs-jbl-2360a-horns-ev-drivers/