Another Turntable Thorens TD 124

bliss53

Just got a local craigslist listed Thorens td 124. I decided to get it after some research and some motivation from posts here. Especially Fini. I have cleaned it up. Put some fresh oil in and around the important places. I seems to be holding speed. It came with an empire tone arm that needs rewiring. I moved my rega 300 from my td 150 to the td 124. The td 124 is far and away better the the td 150.

I am considering the silcone motor mounts Fini suggested. I am also going to need to cut a replacement mirror for the strobe viewer. I also plan to build a plinth and cut an arm board to match. I was thinking that maple would be a good choice for it's resonance qualities. Any thoughts on other woods? I hear alot about sme tone arms with these tables, what have others used?

Here is the before picture. The after picture will be posted some time after the cornwalls and the lsi's get new veener.

Nice one, Pete! That plinth looks exactly like the one that came with mine. You probably already know the arm I use (Ortofon RS-212). Denon 103, but I have a Zu 103R that I haven't had the time to swap out yet.

Nice score, Pete!

Fini also helped advise (and inspire) me on the TD 124 I purchased from a local seller earlier this year. I am feeling guilty that I haven't posted a photo essay--but I haven't had a chance to start the rebuild process yet, and there are a number of projects still ahead of the turntable. Mine needs some work to straighten out the speed, but it looks pretty clean. Like Fini's, mine came with the same plinth pictured.

One thing I'd do differently with the motor rebuild (I'll do it on the next one!) is leave the motor wires soldered to the little board.

Again, for anyone who didn't catch it the first time, I primarily used instructions for the rebuild at Steve Clarke's most excellent website, The Analog Dept. Steve's a regular in the vinyl section at AA (user510).

Nice one, Pete! That plinth looks exactly like the one that came with mine. You probably already know the arm I use (Ortofon RS-212). Denon 103, but I have a Zu 103R that I haven't had the time to swap out yet.

I have been using a micro benz ace cartridge that sounds great. After everyone raving about the 103s I will have to pick one up. I will be interested to hear your take on the zu vs no zu on your table. Where do you get your belts? I have read that some folks go without the mushrooms (bushings). I can not tell the difference on my table. Have you tried the mushroom free option?

Still looking for some cartridge recommendations. I have access to a bluenote u3 unipivot tonearm, a rega 300 and a sme 3009. Anyone solved the iron sub platter magnetism with moving coil cartridges? Thinking about the zu 103. Any opinions on spending more for the higher level zu 103s?

No problem here with the iron platter and the DL-103. I have a Zu 103R that I haven't tried, yet. I think I'll wait until I build the new plinth and make a protective acrylic cover (I'd die if someone here broke it!).

I am still somewhat regretting selling mine. I have a TD-125 now but it is still not the same. Next time I find one, I am keeping it. At the time, I did not have the patience or time to invest into restoring it. It was beautiful, kind of like an old Volvo.

Uh-huh[Y]. My vintage McIntosh tube system is crying for one of these. Someday I'll get lucky and finally do this. I had a chance to get one regionally a year or two ago, but was bad timing for cashflow and other reasons. I really regret not being able to make that deal work. But maybe someday......

• 3 weeks later...

Took my 124 to a friends house. He has a high end mcintosh set up with proclaim speakers. We traded out his well tempered table for the my 124 with the rega and the micro benz I described above. He was floored. The base tightened up and the sound stage expanded. We tried it up against sacd and the difference was still considerable.

We ended up getting him a local 124 on ebay. Another turntable project.