Record Cleaning

mdbrien

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd stay away from denatured alcohol as well. "Denatured" means they added nasty tasting toxic substances to keep doufuses from drinking it. Defore being denatured, it is 190 proof grain alcohol, aka Everclear. IF you use alcohol (I wouldn't), Everclear is the stuff to use.

Worried some dufus might lick your lp's? [;)]

Can you tell me the store and if it's possible for me to place an order?

A great local record store owner and I had a good talk about what to use. But spending $40+ for a 3oz bottle is a waste. Local record store owner mixes up is own solution and when I used it on Lps that I thought were clean I was amazed. A 20Fl oz bottle was $9.00. Maybe that might be the best bet for some of you?

tigerwoodKhorns you would be correct on that. mdbrien, the local shop is called Randy's records in salt lake. Great old store, and Randy really know his stuff. Google it and see what you can find out, if not let me know and we can work something out. I would be glad to help.

tigerwoodKhorns you would be correct on that. mdbrien, the local shop is called Randy's records in salt lake. Great old store, and Randy really know his stuff. Google it and see what you can find out, if not let me know and we can work something out. I would be glad to help.

Yea, we have emailed about it. I always go there. A little pricy but it definately has its charm and always has a bunch of goodies. He also has CD players and tt's available to listen before you buy which is a huge plus (I need to bring my own headphones next time - yuck!).

I was talking to Randy about record cleaning last time I was there and he tried to sell me the Disk Doctor wood brush package. I didn't know that he had the special mixture and I had not actually tried the steaming method yet. I'll have to try to pick up some of his stuff next time we are there.

Coincidentaly, last time I was there I had checked many Walgreens here in Las Vegas and none had the Perfection cleaner available so I found one in a Walgreens in Sandy in the Plaza where Raygreens and Carl's Cafe is (we love that place, great food and cheap) on the road up to the ski areas. That was the trip where I read the threads on Audio-goon about steaming and the "Steam Messiah" (all hail the savior of steam - read the thread, you will understand).

Alas it appears that the Perfection Steam Cleaner is no longer available. There may be some stock in out of the way Walgreens but it is no longer listed as a stocked item or available on their web site. It has been replaced with a Perfection combo travel iron and steamer. I think we can look forward to threads on some of the audio sites debating the merits of the original steamer versus any other steam making device. On a side note a quick search revealed the "Original" Perfection steamer selling used on Craigs List for 50 bucks.

Josh

Here are a couple of videos using steam to clean records:

First

watch?v=d6OjtKUZ048&feature=related

The first link is a good method. I hold the steamer much closer and at a slight angle to blow anything out of the groves.

The second link is "Audio-goon" quality. Why do people try so hard to make things difficult? Magic water, special rinses, still need the VPI and high dollar fluids. Obsessive compulsive at it best.

I use a towel and actually flip the record over ON THE SAME TOWEL WITHOUT STERILIZING IN BETWEEN!!! [:|] Gasp, I must not be very good at this.

Read the threads entitled "deep cleaning records with steam" on Audiogon to see just how crazy it can get.

Alas it appears that the Perfection Steam Cleaner is no longer available. There may be some stock in out of the way Walgreens but it is no longer listed as a stocked item or available on their web site. It has been replaced with a Perfection combo travel iron and steamer. I think we can look forward to threads on some of the audio sites debating the merits of the original steamer versus any other steam making device. On a side note a quick search revealed the "Original" Perfection steamer selling used on Craigs List for 50 bucks.

Josh

Check out these, they all look like just about the same thing:

http://www.amazon.com/ToolsNow-Electric-Steam-Cleaner/dp/B000OP3ABM/ref=pd_sbs_k_1

http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-SS1000-Steam-Cleaner-Attachments/dp/B00024JYAG

The 90 degree attachement in the second one is important so that you can lay the record flat and maintain pressure. The fact of the matter is that teh Perfection Steam Cleaner at Walgreens is a lousy steam cleaner, I tried it on the soap dispenser of our washing machine and it did not do much. BUT, that makes it a very good steam cleaner for records because the stream is not that hot (it cools quite a bit before hitting the record, you can spray it on your hand) and the pressure is good, but not hard enough to be abrasive for scrubbing things.

Josh, on a different topic, I received the small parts and did some CAD drawings today for soem small brass plates that I need to have machined for the Step ups. Hopefully, if all goes well, I want to build them next weekend (hopefully, the CNC stuff usually takes time and I am waiting on an answer from Jensen's engineer about the wiring).

The second link is "Audio-goon" quality.  Why do people try so hard to make things difficult?  Magic water, special rinses, still need the VPI and high dollar fluids.  Obsessive compulsive at it best. 

You said it twk. I urge all vinyl newbies, or those thinking of getting into vinyl to NOT watch this link. Could it be anymore complicated, messy or noisy? I guess I never realized how noisy those VPI machines are, but it wouldn't work for me as the cat would be terrorized every time I clean a record. I especially like all the different brushes for different "rinse cycles", no wonder why some people want nothing to do with vinyl. You could tell me this is a propaganda film put out by Sony 25 years ago to show the simplicity and ease of CD use and cleaning and I would have believed you.

This guy has a variety of vinyl cleaning solutions and a cleaning pad. Completely manual process.

http://www.discdoc.com/

You might want to read some of the material in the link within his website Re: record cleaning do's and don'ts. He also replies to emails but may take a couple days to do so.

Thanks, I will read up later. I use his cleaning brush when I have to use the cleaning fluid that I mix.

I use this method:

1) Plop the record down on a towel. If it is dirty with visible dust, wipe with a wet microfiber cloth. Steam it, hold at a slight angle close to the recrod (about 3 to 4 inches) dry with a clean microfiber cloth and play it. Thin records sometimes warp while beign cleaned but they always return to their original shape right away (others have also confirmed this on Audio-goon).

2) Put in a plastic recrod sleeve (available all over the internet) and put back in its sleeve.

3) For a second cleaning (if it still has noise after the first cleaning) I steam the record to get it damp and get anything out, squirt on some cleaning fluid and brush it back and forth with the Disc Doctor brush, then use the steam cleaner to rinse the cleaner off onto the towel. Then dry with a microfiber cloth.

Pretty straightforward. Some records need to be cleaned a few times before they get really quiet, and some cannot be made quiet. I have also stopped dry brushing before play because they no longer need it.

I am a pretty obsessive engineering type, but the above works for me.

Call me crazy, but I still like the idea of a vacuum pulling all the dirt and grunge from my records. Confused

Me too and it is not as inconvenient as some of the suggestions sound. It may look odd but my VPI sits on the back corner of right channel Belle and is there when I need it.

I have used the VPI recommended cleaner very sparingly with decent results.

Call me crazy, but I still like the idea of a vacuum pulling all the dirt and grunge from my records.  Confused

Me too and it is not as inconvenient as some of the suggestions sound. It may look odd but my VPI sits on the back corner of right channel Belle and is there when I need it.

I have used the VPI recommended cleaner very sparingly with decent results. 

I think the VPI is a fine idea but the extra steps the OCD guy showed in that second link was just beyond hysterical to me. I've long wanted a Nitty Gritty machine but price has put that on hold indefinitely, and if it's anywhere near as loud as the VPI in the video then it's a no go.

I use a home brew mixture of 25% alcohol (90% pure kind), distilled water and a drop of dishwashing liquid. Use a Nitty Gritty brush and home brew liquid and clean at 45 rpm. Scrub both directions (Technics TT). Put it on the Nitty Gritty RC to remove solution. Turn it over and use the Perfection steamer with distilled water about 15 to 30 seconds. Flip the record and vacuum dry with the Nitty Gritty RC. Does a pretty good job. I protect the label with a plastic container cover. I like the idea of vacuuming away all the crud.

BTW the Nitty Gritty makes a fair amount of noise.