Quiet 6DJ8 Tube???

SilverSport

they were definitely NOS...they came with the unit at additional cost because they were premium...I got to enjoy the Bugle Boy for awhile before it went nutty...I tried one of the one's Mark sends with the unit and it was quiet it's just that I was spoiled by that Bugle Boy...even the supposedly better pinch waist didn't sound as nice a that original Bugle Boy...

Thanks to Mark and to you all for the help...I will be sending mine back for an inspection and upgrade...

Bill

OK Bill,

One more thing worth noteing, NOS or new tubes sometimes tend to degrade and make noises for awhile until they break in. Each tube is different some tubes may take up to 100 hours to completely settle in, you may want to give them a little more time just to be sure. Just a thought.

Jay

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay,

Thanks...I hear you but this one is not a new problem though...I replaced the Bugle Boy a year back when it did this and the pinch waist started after a short time...I just never replaced it as it is a little pair pulling everything out and replacing the Tube...expecially when it sounds so nice but for the times the music stops...it just was more annoying that usual...

I have another system I can listen to while this one gets the tune up and update and I have been needing the little foot fixed on the amp connection to the BB for about that same year (works fine as long as you don't move it) so Mark's kind offer comes at the perfect time as I already have access to the BB (cleared the way) and the box (since I just insulated the attic)...thanks for all the help.

Bill

I have the same issue and didn't realize until Mark's post, that the phono stage does go through the V4. Now that I know that is most likely the problem I may send it for the 6H30 upgrade. I need to get the cream option anyway after I stepped up to a Zu DL-103. Can you add the remote to a 1st gen BBX Mark? If so I really need to send her off for an update!

Jeremy

As Mark knows, I tried close to a dozen high-end tubes in that slot and all were noisy. Then, my fairygodfather Gilbert sent me a true NOS 50's Seiman's Cca (still stapled shut) and it is dead quiet. I've had it there for about 3 years now with absolutely no problem. Did I mention it sounds great too? The only other quiet tube I've used in that slot is the one Mark sent with the unit. While that EH did sound good, the Cca definitely sounds better. It's too bad the 6DJ8's in the BBX are so sensitive because there are a lot of great sounding options for that slot.

Yep, that was my solution. I also have had two true NOS 50's Siemens 6DJ8 CCAs in my Peach (Superloz mode) for over four years now. I think that they are rated at something like 15,000 hours or so. After how long that I will have mine, it will end up being a very modest expenditure.

Dead bang quiet, and the best pre tube I have heard.

Carl.

Bill,

Per Marks advice, I purchased some vintage tubes for my BBXTreme and I could not be happier! I purchased mine from Brent Jesse noise tested ($5.00) per tube. I bought a Siemens for the 6Dj8 and a pair of black plates for the phono section. He is very reputable and his shipping was lightning fast!

I've gone through a ton of primarily basic 6DJ8's on my anthem Pre1 and most of them do make noise or are microphnic.T he quietest ones are the Russians, but sadly most of the Russian but not all them, tend to "mute" the quality of the music.

I've finally got some good ones but I'm keeping the brand a secret until I obtain more. Sorry but when it comes to quiet6DJ8's it's a gdog eat dog world.

It would seem that some preamps are more sensitive to letting the noise out of the tubes. I say this because I have given away a portion of my stash to fellow Forum buddies and so far they've had good luck.

Marvel. Did you ever get a chance to try out the ones from my stash that Seti sent along to you? Would be interested in your comments.

Thanks again for the tubes. They are doing great. I have had more trouble with 6dj8 /6922 than any other tube I have used. Never had this trouble with octal tubes. Thebes has a secret tube selection. Hmmmm might have to mission impossible on him [:D]

I've had my peach for a while now and have tried 6 different NOS tubes in it, all have been quiet. I don't use vinyl and have la scala's if that makes any difference I don't know. I have tried E188cc Siemen's from the late 60's. E88 Siemens from 1960, still had the guarantee in the box, E88 Phillips, Frence made, and a Phillip SQ E188. I guess I've been really lucky.

Tom

Mark:

In my opinion I find myself switching between the 1960 E88CC and the Phllips SQ E188CC. The other ones are also good, but with these two the music is a bit better. I think the Siemens sounds more realistic and out there. When I'm listening to Jazz, which I am right now, I use the siemens. The Phillips seems to mellow out the music. I listen to a lot of bluegrass and newgrass and the Phillips seems to smooth out the rough edges, without coloring the music too much. I bought all my tubes from reliable sources. One from the garage section and the others from a guy in Holland so I know they were new. Have many people had noisy tubes in the Peach, or is it a Blueberry only Blight? I have no complaints and find myself listening to music more now then ever before.

Tom

Carl--

I think those tubes might last a good many more years! Those darn things are getting pretty rare. Nice find.

Thanks, Mark. Many years ago, Guy advertised a pair of them in here, and I grabbed them before anyone else really noticed.

I kept the yellow/blue boxes for posterity sake. Considering the price I've seen some of them go for, it was quite a find.

Carl.

I must be one of the lucky ones as I have had very good luck with the 6dj8 tubes. I had one of the original Peach's ( actually the first Peach sold I believe) and used an Amprex from Holland - 1963 vintage that was splendid. I now have the supertube Blueberry and cannot be happier. I did just buy the Merlin that Harry was selling so my 7308 Amprex will be going back in service in my bedroom system.

Josh

I've never heard of a 6DJ8 Cca.

Yea, yea - point well taken.

The "6DJ8" is the standard design of the tube, a twin triode tube. You are correct in that when one usually refers to a "6DJ8," - one means the standard incarnation of the 6DJ8 design, usually identified in appearance by steel pins.

6922s are premium versions of the 6DJ8 design, with lower noise, lower microphonics and longer life than the standard 6DJ8 incarnation - and with most being identified by gold pins.

CCas are even more special versions of the 6922s (Telefunken and Siemens). Usually matched triode sections, low noise screening, 10,000 hour plus heater life expectancy, carefully controlled frame grid winding, low microphonics, etc. Some have called them one of the most detailed and three-dimensional sounding tubes in this family of tubes. I would agree.

Many people (including me) sloppily refer to CCas as 6DJ8 - probably because of their basic design. I guess in reality they are neither a 6DJ8 or a 6922 - but their own thing:

http://hktubeaudio.homestead.com/files/6DJ8.html

Mine are the early type of Siemens CCas from the 50s.

Carl.

Mark,

Very good to note this...mine came with the deal when I bought my gear...mine may work fine with other applications but just didn't in the PreAmp...nothing wrong with the PreAmp...just not synergy between my particular Tubes and this PreAmp...as some have noted...they may have been NOS but what does that even mean...perhaps they got to be old and living on a shelf because when brand new, they proved noisy when tried then...

Thanks for the lessons learned here...I continue to learn...and what doesn't kill me makes me stronger...[;)]

Bill

Wish I would have seen this thread a few days ago. I have a peachtree audio decco. uses a single 6DJ8 in the peramp section. Just bought a few tubes to try from a vendor in spain. My plan was to have them cryo treated which suppossed to dramatically improve sound quality and reduce noise as well. I will report back in a couple of weeks when they are ready to test. will do noise test before and after cryo with following tubes.

EH 6922 russia

Bugle Boy holland NOS 6922

Puillips/ Holland NOS 6922

Siemens Germany NOS

I have had more trouble with 6dj8 /6922 than any other tube I have used

Liar[:o] Does 6SN7 ring any belles for you[:|] LOL Did you even run any 6922's before the Onyx? I'm just going to have to come over to your house tonight and listen to those nasty things on the Jub Clones[:D]

I sure hope you still got that nice bottle from Scotland in the cabinet[<:o)]