Quiet 6DJ8 Tube???

SilverSport

I have had little luck with my 6DJ8 Tubes (as well as 7308) being "noisy" in my Juicy Music BlueBerry MkI...or am I being too critical...?

I bought my JMA BlueBerry MkI from a Forum Member a few years ago...It came without the originally supplied 6DJ8 and had a couple of premium tubes to try instead...I am not really interested in Tube Rolling but like anyone, want the best sound that I can get without breaking the bank...

I had a best sounding to my ears Bugle Boy...it was the first tube I put in this spot on the pre amp and perhaps the one I knew best...anyway...when the music stopped there was "tea kettle hiss" and spitting...I was told more than likely a noisy tube...I have since tried this tube again and even in another BlueBerry...the Tube is noisy...

Replaced with an included Amperex Pinch Waist...it too is a bit noisy...music sounds fine but when it stops...staticy spitting noise through the Klipschorns...

I have a Heart 6000 OSE LE CD Player with this set up (along with Craig's wonderful NOSValves VRDs) and since I wanted to try a Cambridge Audio Azur 640c V2 with this rig, I decided to switch out the Heart and put in the Azur...

I thought I would try one of the 7308 (6DJ8)from the Heart in the JMA BlueBerry MkI...in went a low hour use Aperex USA 7308 (part of a matched pair) to see if thismight cure my ills...

well...it's in but I get just a bit of the spitting, steam noise from the HF section of the Klipschorns...

I guess what I am asking the far more knowledgeable here... am I being too picky here?...should I be searching for yet another 6DJ8 type Tube to use in the BlueBerry???...Mark Deneen at JMA had mentioned on here a while back that this was one of the biggest complaints in buying Tubes for the Pre Amp...noisy 6DJ8s...

In reading about my Heart, a well respected reviewer mentioned that the originally supplied Tubes for that CDP should be Sovtek 6922 dual triodes and since mine came with more expensive Amperex 7308s, I thought I might be able to use one of these with the BlueBerry and replace the Hearts with what would have come original equipment (mine was Frank Stuppel's (USA importer) review player)...but the one I have in now has this slight "noise"...

Thoughts and experiences requested...thanks for any help you care to share...

Bill

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bill

My experience is like yours in that 6DJ8 tubes are just way to prone to noise which makes equipment that uses them a risky match for high efficiency systems such as systems using Klipschorns. Someone running these on 90db efficient systems probably wouldn't even be aware or bothered with this problem which is why I speculate that this tube has seen so much use in audio equipment. Anyway I personelly stay away from equipment that uses this tube because there are plenty of pre-amps that use other types of tubes that sound as good as or better IMO and don't exhibit the noise issues that the 6DJ8s based equipment way to often has.

mike tn

hopefully you can forgive my ignorance but that is why I ask the
question...I wish to learn...I just switched the BlueBerry over to hear
a record...I can still hear the "noise"...static, almost like listening
to an old record (before I even put the needle down)...since the V4
spot is the "6DJ8" and that is the line stage, am I hearing one of the
power Tubes and this static is not even the 6DJ8???...should I still be
hearing the "noise" from the 6DJ8 when listening to an album???

Bill

Mike,

I appreciate the feedback...I don't think I will be trading out the BlueBerry MkI so if this is a noise that I must put up with if I keep the BlueBerry and the "noise" is in fact the 6DJ8 I will need to keep looking or just live with it...thanks,

Bill

hopefully you can forgive my ignorance but that is why I ask the question...I wish to learn...I just switched the BlueBerry over to hear a record...I can still hear the "noise"...static, almost like listening to an old record (before I even put the needle down)...since the V4 spot is the "6DJ8" and that is the line stage, am I hearing one of the power Tubes and this static is not even the 6DJ8???...should I still be hearing the "noise" from the 6DJ8 when listening to an album???
Bill

It has been my expirence that when you hear a static like noise, that tube needs to be replaced. I not to long ago had the same problem in my phono section, one of the Telefunken 12AX7's was making a flickering sound: or a sound like winf blowing. Changed it out no more worries.

Jay

Jay thanks I appreciate the feedback...okay...after a few hours of listening...I am hearing this spitting/sputtering from the right channel...still think it's the V4/6DJ8 tube???...thoughts on waiting for it to cool down and give it a shot of DeoxIT???...just don't want to do too much to it without realizing what the actual problem is...

Bill

Bill,

When I got my BBX from JC, that tube was very microphonic and noisy. I tried some Philips 6922s I had here and they each were noisy, static prone and so on. On one of the threads, Mark said the BBX was sensitive for that tube and suggested trying one of the EH6922 tubes. I got a plain one ($12.95) and not the Gold Pin version. No more static and only a very slight hiss on my LS. I can't hear it three feet away.The Gold Pin EH6922 costs under $20. You might give it a try and see what you think. I can't afford to try NOS tube rolling.

Bruce

Bruce,

Excellent idea...I may give that a try...

I just switched it back to the Pinch Waist Amperex and have used DeoxIT
on the tube sockets...I will give it a bit...I lightly tapped on the
tubes before the DeoxIT and got a "POP" sound from the Pinch Waist
(V4/6DJ8 spot) 6922...all the other Tubes made a slight jingle and all
sounded the same but that V4 spot...

Bill

After a DeoxIT cleaning followed by DeoxIT Gold...

Bugle Boy...definitely noisy and micorphonic

Amperex Pinch Waist...noisy...

Aperex USA 7308...a bit noisy (just tried as it is part of a matched pair for the Heart CDP)...

I think my next step will be to try Bruce's suggestion of a EH6922 or gold pin EH6922...

Bill

Mark,

That is GREAT news either way but since I have a minor issue with an amp connector in the back (pulled one of the "feet" loose) I might just have to send this to you to get that fixed and do the update... I do have the Older MkI unit (oldest style I believe with Hovlands) so perhaps this upgrade, a new tube, a repair and a check up are just what the doctor ordered...

THANKS (as always) Mark...and everyone who helped me here on the Forum...

Bill

• Moderators

And finally, we changed the current unit to use 6H30 in that slot which is much more consistent and quiet. If at any time you'd like to have your unit modded to use the 6H30, just let me know, it's not expensive to do. And finally, if you have an older unit, there is always the chance that something else may be causing noise like a bad resistor. You can always send it in for a free tune up, and it only costs you the shipping.

Mark,

I am very interested in this 6H30 option. While I have had 6DJ8's turn microphonic, if you have a good one (no 1/f noise) they seem to have much less tube noise and distortion than tubes such as a 12AX7. It does take a little bit more effort to find quiet ones, but once you do you can forget about it. The 6DJ8 has a great deal more bandwidth than a 12AX7, thus they are much more prone to RFI and other outside sources of noise and so I have found using a metal shield/heat sink eliminates this type of thing.

I think part of the problem is more that the 6DJ8 was a more recently developed tube (1950's) and was not used hi end audio until the late '70's. A lot of these tubes, as you mentioned, went into test equipment or were part of tv tuners. A whole lot of them were made in the 1980's, but they were made in Eastern Europe with poor quality control. These were than labeled in a lot of different ways including "Made in W. Germany."

A 6DJ8 has about 7X the gm rating of a 12AX7 and consequentlly, the noise voltage on the 6DJ8 is superior to the 12AX7. How does it compare with the 6H30?

Travis

As Mark knows, I tried close to a dozen high-end tubes in that slot and all were noisy. Then, my fairygodfather Gilbert sent me a true NOS 50's Seiman's Cca (still stapled shut) and it is dead quiet. I've had it there for about 3 years now with absolutely no problem. Did I mention it sounds great too? The only other quiet tube I've used in that slot is the one Mark sent with the unit. While that EH did sound good, the Cca definitely sounds better. It's too bad the 6DJ8's in the BBX are so sensitive because there are a lot of great sounding options for that slot.

Jay thanks I appreciate the feedback...okay...after a few hours of listening...I am hearing this spitting/sputtering from the right channel...still think it's the V4/6DJ8 tube???...thoughts on waiting for it to cool down and give it a shot of DeoxIT???...just don't want to do too much to it without realizing what the actual problem is...

Bill

Bill,

One more thing, the tubes that are noisy are they NOS or new?

Jay

they were definitely NOS...they came with the unit at additional cost because they were premium...I got to enjoy the Bugle Boy for awhile before it went nutty...I tried one of the one's Mark sends with the unit and it was quiet it's just that I was spoiled by that Bugle Boy...even the supposedly better pinch waist didn't sound as nice a that original Bugle Boy...

Thanks to Mark and to you all for the help...I will be sending mine back for an inspection and upgrade...

Bill

I've gone through a ton of primarily basic 6DJ8's on my anthem Pre1 and most of them do make noise or are microphnic.T he quietest ones are the Russians, but sadly most of the Russian but not all them, tend to "mute" the quality of the music.

I've finally got some good ones but I'm keeping the brand a secret until I obtain more. Sorry but when it comes to quiet6DJ8's it's a gdog eat dog world.

It would seem that some preamps are more sensitive to letting the noise out of the tubes. I say this because I have given away a portion of my stash to fellow Forum buddies and so far they've had good luck.

Marvel. Did you ever get a chance to try out the ones from my stash that Seti sent along to you? Would be interested in your comments.