Apologies to Bob Crites

ClaudeJ1

Not trying to steal your thunder, but I thought you might find it interesting that in 1976 (at the tender age of 22) I built what you might call the "original quasi-Cornscala" prototype...............one of a kind. I used it for a center channel. I made it out of birch plywood, all corners mitered and the inside X-braced with 2x4's. It was the exact dimension of a LaScala and contained an EV T-35, an all metal clone of the K-400 (Speakerlab)/Atlas driver, and an Altec Woofer. It had the full 2x2x3 enclosure volume and was tuned for max bass by sawing the bottom shelf/port 1/4" at a time, then listening. When I got my birch Khorns in 1977, , they were a cosmetic match, but I sold this speaker when I got a single real LaScala for my center channel.

Ah, history, nostalgia, etc. just found this in a box today.

Forgive the bad photo but it was a poor man's two-click pano shot without a tripod at the time, so it's two pictures spliced together.

post-22904-1381942836177_thumb.jpg

Do you still have the "sculpture" on the right side of the top left shelf?Devil

Enquiring minds (or lack thereof...) need to know!!!!

Why do I have the feeling that just off camera there is a stack of Playboys, a lava lamp, six bongs and a rolling tray?

How perceptive. LOL. The "Tijuana Hitchhiker" you speak of mysteriously disapeared right about the time I got married. LOL.

Here is my original commercial sytem, before I could afford Khorns and LaScalas (I think I was making about $600/month back then)..............the one I started to build at 19, finished at 20. First paying gig.........a local Halloween party. Of course it double as my stereo at home when it wasn't working at paying gigs.

The Big Whites were Altec 15" 421-8H woofers, 511B's/808-8b drivers crossed at 500/5000 Hz, and EV T35's. The smaller boxes were back loaded short horns with EV SRO 15" and Altec 511B's with 808's and Altec VOC Xovers in the White Horn enclosures. All other Xovers were home made, even the Air core cokes

Crown 724 Reel to Reel with pre-recoded tapes from my album collection. Amps are Southwest Tech products, representative of bad transistor sound, but 500 WPC into the 4 ohm load represented by the parallel hookup of the 8 ohm speakers. They were really loud. McIntosh C-26 pre-amp.

post-22904-1381942836234_thumb.jpg

Claude,

That picture is classic. Too bad there is a jack-o-lantern in in because I want to think that is not a costume but your threads to lure chicks back to your babe lare.

"Hey baby, I've got this psycadelic hi-fi back at my pad, music and chicks are my bag. Want me to teach you and your friend how to make love?" (OK I stole that last part from an episode of the Simpsons.)

WTF is on your head?

Looks like a white haired merkin.

ROFLMAO, since I know what a merkin is and those who look it up will laugh too.

It's one of those French revolution costume things I borrowed. I coudn't wear black boots because I had a deep cut that needed stitching on the side of my heel from stepping on broken glass, so hence the red tennies.

It's a white ostrich feather on the hat, so I guess you could call it a French tickler. LOL

So, do you still have it? What became of it? How did it sound? I don't think that Bob ever claimed to be the originator of the "Cornscalas" anyways. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Sold it to some guy that moved out of state when I got a real Klipsch LaScala for the center. It sounded pretty good actually but it was always about 4 db down from the flanks as just a center fill, so it' didn't reveal it's true character very much. Sounded just fine, as you would expect.

I love your avatar Pete, especially during the Christmas season.  My parents bought me a red Honda Mini Trail 50 for christmas when I was a little boy when the bike first came out.  The best present I've ever recieved.  Corn prices must have been good that year.Smile

Honda, nice! My brothers and I were thrilled by a Rupp Mini that showed up under the tree one year. No suspension but that kind of freedom and fun is Heaven sent to young boys like we were.