'09 Camry costs?

Coytee

Looking to acquire new car for Mom. She liked an '09 Camry "LE"

Dealer tells me (over phone)

$22,594 MSRP

-$1,000 for some mystical reason

-1,500 for what I think is their rebate program

+595 for paperwork fee (which I told him I had a problem with)

+ $1,133.70 for tax

Total for car $20,028

Anyone know if that's good, bad or indifferent?

My guess is since mom went in there alone, they're not sharpening their pencil too much. I went to Edmunds and THEY list the car as MSRP $21,650 or $994 above the MSRP as stated by the dealer. (and I wonder where their first $1,000 discount comes from?)

Any thoughts?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My guess is that the difference is a "destination charge" (which really means shipping why can't they just say that). MSRP is not a base price but what everything adds up to on their retail sticker. One of my biggest complaints about how lots of car companies do business. There used to be a few that shipped a car and priced it as is rather than have a price for the shell then tack on more for wheels, tires, etc.

Probably doing whatever it takes to get a sale in these drastic times............

The figures from your phone call seem reasonable. Plus Toyotas are very dependable..................Good Luck.

PS I agree, that they should knock off the 595 "Paperwork fee"...........if they want the sale.........

check autotrader.com, a lot of dealers list ther cars there.

if you use 300 miles as the range of dealerships, you will get a pretty wide spread on prices.

but typically, your part of the country has a low mark up.

Called dealer back (they're in Atlanta).

He directed me to Carsdirect.com

http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=30056&acode=USB90TOC021BT&restore=false

I have got to wonder if this is a website funded by auto manufacturers or their cousins... in other words, an "independent" place of pricing that happens to be related to the fox guarding the hen house, if you know what I mean.

Edmunds.com had a MSRP greater than his. He contends that Edmunds doesn't have all the facts/information at their fingertips like Carsdirect does. (which is why I'm automatically suspect at this site)

Few things in life I hate more than dealing with cars and car folks. Mom doesn't want to talk about a used car. She just rolled her Honday and it had 40K miles on it.... so she can sit & talk about how a car with 40K miles is still in fantastic shape however, if she's buying it from someone else, it's trashed.

sheesh....

wow i had no idea Toyota made a boxer. I would go in to the dealership and say that you would buy for 19,340 firm/ hint that you might finance it (they win big on the rates) and if they don't agree, walk away. (you will get a call later) when they agree with the checkbook write it out for the full amount.

Actually, there have been quite a few V4 engines....

Lancia built a narrow angle V4 for many years. English Ford & German Ford (also used by SAAB & Matra) built different version V4's.

AJS, Aprillia, Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha all built or build V4 motorcycle engines.

Johnson, Evinrude, and Yamaha built two stroke V4 outboard engines.

James

Not to be a jerk, but have you considered a car from a U.S. car company?

Blah, blah, blah about where the car is made, I mean buying from a COMPANY that has it's headquarters here in the U.S.?

This is not 1979 anymore and the American car companies make a damn fine product.

The next job they cut could be yours. Food for thought.

Blah, blah, blah about where the car is made, I mean buying from a COMPANY that has it's headquarters here in the U.S.?

This is not 1979 anymore and the American car companies make a *** fine product.

The next job they cut could be yours. Food for thought.

An 09 Camry is as American as any car out there , other than the Toyota nameplate . American workers make them .

This is not 1979 anymore and the American car companies make a *** fine product.

The next job they cut could be yours. Food for thought

I agree with your sentiments. I also agree that US makers are making decent cars (though I still don't perceive their design as being on par, with some foreign cars ...key word perceive. )

I was planning on a Honda since they're built in Marysville Ohio (last I knew). Seems she likes this Camry with the supercalafragilistic V-4! (it would only be expialadocious if it had a boxer engine [;)])

She'll probably settle for the base model of what ever she gets and get an inline 4 [:P]

I got this belief from my dad, but I really don't see the point in
buying a car new. Case in point, I drive a 2004 Lincoln LS V8. When
that car was brand new, base price was around 40K. Not sure how much
the options I've got on mine would have added up to, but still, a lot
more than 20 for a Camry. When we got the car, had 66 thousand miles,
no problems, everything worked (still works a couple thousand miles
later), paint in great shape, basically new tires even and we only paid
around 12500 for it. Sure it won't get as good gas mileage as the
little rice burner (I ONLY get 19-20 mpg city and about 25-26
highwaywith the V8 and a 4000lbs car), but it's a lot more car,
certianly much nicer, and drives beautifully. I love it. I'm not saying
anything bad about a Camry, I wouldn't know. The point is that you can
easily get a nice, slight older one, used for probably half that.