Cornwall III or Klipsch RF-7?

MojoX

Hi, I am in almost desperate need for new speakers as I sold my RF-7s a few months ago (as I needed money not because I didn't like them). As I like Klipsch alot I want to stay with this brand and as I thought it would be good to top the RF-7s the CWIII came into my head. But I don't know if the Cornwalls III would be a step up. What I liked about the RF-7s was the life full sound with lots of bass and with the right amp I liked the clarity of highs as well. For hometheatre they were perfect. So when I buy new speakers I would also need to buy a centre and perhaps rears which are not so important imo. With the cornwalls I would buy used Heresys which are not more expensive than an RC-64 for example but the price for the CWIII is double as high as the price for the RF-7s...

So if I order the CWIII I would have the possibility to send them back if I don' like them. The question is if should risk having a lot of work with the CWIII if I send them back or if I should pay half as much and get speakers which I know I like very much....

BTW: I listen to rock (Queen, Pink Floyd,Doors etc.. , alternative (Smashing Pumpkins,The Hives,Mando Diao ,Björk etc) and pop (Norah Jones,Katie Melua, Coldplay etc...)

And stereo is more important to me as hometheatre...

It would be nice if you could give a few suggestions.. From what I have heard the RF-83 is not as good as the RF-7s so I think they are not an option...

Thanks!

From what I have heard the RF-83 is not as good as the RF-7s so I think they are not an option...

Just like I am about to say, I love my RF-83 for music and for movies. Just ones opinion. I have nor heard the RF-7 in years or in my setup so to say the RF-83 is better, I can not. That also means that I can not say the RF-7 would be better. I would find a local place that you can take your music to and demo the RF-83 and decide for yourself.

You just missed out someone had the CW III in cherry for $1000 each.

James

No problem.

Have you heard the CW III? I hear that it sounds better then the CW II and the Heresy III also sounds better then the Heresy II. Just thinking that if you are going to use the CW III fro the fronts the best match would be the Heresy III for the center.

Then again, if you are use to the RF-7 sound then you can always go that direction. Plus you know what to expect from the speaker with out having any surprises with the sound.

James

Having the RF 7, the RF 83 and RF 3 set up side by side I can tell you that both speakers are outstanding.

I like the fact that the RF 83 don't need a lot of power to get going unlike the 7, but with extra power the will both shine. The RF 83 is not as bright as previous reference series which can be tiring for some ( this tend to happen with the RF 3), however the RF 7 seems to be slightly better with bass ( hardly noticeable though).

Anyway, if your primary goal is music go with the Cornwall. As mentioned before, just keep in mind they will sound different so give them some time.

To be honnest I have the tendency to I use my heresys for music more.

I am sure the RF-83 is a very good speaker. I will try to listen to it in the future. The problem is that the next Klipsch dealer

is pretty far away and I don't have a car at the moment...

This is probably the part of me that sounds like my Dad talking, but if you had to sell your RF-7s recently due to financial reasons and you don't currently have a car...are there maybe other things that you should be spending your money on? [;)]

I will have the possibility to listen to the Klipschorn next week. Perhaps I will get an idea of how the Cornwalls sound?

Not even close to what the Cornwalls sound like.

K-Horns are all by themselves a different sound over the Cornwalls.

Where are you located, someone mentioned that maybe you have a member close that will invite you over.

James

Fwiw, here is a thread that was started after an A/B listening Test at the 2005 Klipsch Pilgrimage between the RF-7 and the Cornwall III: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/57813.aspx?PageIndex=1

Keep in mind that these speakers were not level matched so there was a flaw in the test, but it still may give you some idea of their differences.

Hey bud

I just recently swapped the RF-7 for 1982 Cornwalls. The Rf-7's were very nice indeed, but as far as music you would be a lot happier with Cornwalls, of any year to boot. Basically a 3 way, even my KLF-20s here are kick a$$.

I have been around the block, and I owned 2 sets of K-horns as well. With the K-horns my Neighbors were also listening to them at the same level I was, After years of this they finally had a problem. So yes I agree they are in a world of their own. My personal conclusion is at least in my house the Cornwalls overall. I owned 2 sets of corns earlier this decade, and I still kick myself from not stopping when I had them. I could of saved $$$$ and had a retirement started. Well my days of desicions are now over. And this time this is a solid desicion.

I have also done the mod thing. I think I was one of the first 20 that did it at the time, that never ended. I placed the speakers back to thier original specs, a lot nicer than when I bought them. K-horn Type D to Khorn Type C that was my final mod. I was very pround of my work, then I swapped the 2nd set of K-horns I modded for Cornwalls, due to placement issues.

I have been there done that to many times. I enjoy music these days, i dont worry about mods and ETC anymore. Only thing I may do now is get some things from Bob Crites.

Regards Jim

• Moderators

Where do you live ? Just roughly

I like the Cornwall lll, but they do have a different sound than the RF's, you need to hear them for yourself, both are good.

You should also consider forte's and Chorus.

Thank you vor your replies.

I live in Germany so it would be difficult to visit someone of this forum with the CWIII and I don't know anyone who owns the Cornwalls

iin my area. To listen to them I would have to drive 7 hours by train which I don't want because it would be easier and cheaper

to order the CWIII and send them back if I don't like them. At the moment I tend to order the CWIII.

The problem ist that if I buy a RF-7 I could easily buy a good Full HD beamer as well. When I buy Cornwalls

it would also be possible but a center and rears would be difficult. But I learned that it is better to get the best and than save a little to get the next

tthan to buy all things needed at one time and therefore cheaper things....

I could imagine that I like the CWIII very much because I like full natural sound with lots of bass. But I don't know

if my neighbours (one beside me and then only some neighbours above me in a well isolatet pretty new house (with my RF-7s I never had a problem although I listeneed pretty loud) could be disturbed...

And considering the blind test: The speakers may have not been level matched but as the CWIII are very demanding considering amps and likes tube amps

you could say that even though the amp was not fitting the majority liked the CWIII more...

So my decision is pretty clear now: If I don't find a sensational offer for the RF-7s in the next days I think I will order the CWIII (if the offer I got is still valid)....

By the way: I could get the La Scala II (used) for a lower price than the CWIII but I think that for my music (mainly rock,indy/alternative) they are not the right speakers....

• Moderators

If you can get the LaScala ll used, and have a sub or could build one I would definitely go that way. The LaScala have less bass than the Cornwall, thats why I said add a sub, but the midrange horn on the LaScala sounds much bigger and better, can you get to listen to the LaScala ll.

Wait until you hear the Klipschorns..... You will be ruined for life!!!! LOLOLOL!!! Other than getting Cornwalls, Belles, LaScala's or eventually Jubilees, you will never get those K'horns out of your mind!!! [H] Every time you hear another speaker, in the back of your mind you will be making the comparison!!!

Back to reality... Are you on active duty with US military? If so, you may want to check with Klipsch.com and I believe you can order direct and have a pair of Klipsch drop shipped at your home (parents, etc.) in the States and they'll be ready when you get there.

Don't exclude a pair of used Heresy's to work with until you get a chance for the "big boys". Heresy's are one of the best kept secrets... They will produce very high quality sound and are generally reasonably priced.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to resume this thread. I have an offer for the RF-7s + the RC-7. They would cost 1700 Euros.

The Cornwall IIIs would cost 2900 Euros. Would they (the CWIII) really be worth the additional bucks?

I mean I could invest the difference in rears and a subwoofer or in a projector...

Cheers,

MojoX