Circuit City is no more, RIP.

While I agree with you Arttto.... having had a few experiences like that too, I must point out the manager at the Indy Castleton store has always gone the extra mile for me.. Everything else I agree with....

My story....

I once wanted to get some DVD concert movies...as the kid walked away he said to another employee , "Look I am busy and I gotta help some old fart look for crappy 70's and 80's music...." I screamed out, "Excuse me What did you just say about me? He did not know I heard him...

I went straight to the manager... Told him my story, he looked at the kid and said.. "Your fired, for the rest of this week. I am tired of your BS to me and now to customers."

The kid Yelled out, "Fine.. You can have this job, my parents made me work here anyhow!"

Ahhhh so much to learn this kid has in front of him.... LOL..

After that, the manager ALWAYS remembered me by my first name, and we became friends.

Getting good employees is tough in 2008-9

As crazy as Best Buy is, they NEVER would of hired a kid like this,,,,

I specifically remember one time I went in their speaker "room" just to look one day, and i figured I'd challenge the employee intelligence level. I asked two very simple quesitons........ Were a certain speaker 4,6,8, or 30 ohms, (I threw the 30 in there just to comfuse the poor employee) and what the freq responce was on the same speakers. The employee replied, with the deer in the head lights look, I don't know, let me find out. About 6 mins later he still wasn't back with an answer, so I laughed among myself and left the store.................

I specifically remember one time I went in their speaker "room" just to look one day, and i figured I'd challenge the employee intelligence level. I asked two very simple quesitons........ Were a certain speaker 4,6,8, or 30 ohms, (I threw the 30 in there just to comfuse the poor employee) and what the freq responce was on the same speakers. The employee replied, with the deer in the head lights look, I don't know, let me find out. About 6 mins later he still wasn't back with an answer, so I laughed among myself and left the store.................

Well, the ohms level should be on the back of the speaker itself... But we all know that is not 100% accurate too. LOL 90% of todays speakers are 4 or 8 anyhow? Rated that is.....

Maybe he was actually looking it up in the back.....as u left? At least he was honest, and maybe trying to see?

and when the regional operations manager tells customers they don't want to see them in their store ever again (after having purchased a grand or so of computer hardware during the previous week, not to mention the thousands spent there in previous years).

True story.

What made him say that??

They pissed me off royal so I did them the same favor. Don't worry about it. The feeling is mutual. We both called the police.

The problem is I'm a customer who has spent at least $10,000 at Circuit City in previous years, and about $1000 that week. And they can't even get me my merchandise, or a refund, nor any receipt after 45 minutes. There was only me and one other customer in the store, and at least seven Circuit City personel. I already had a similar experience at the same store, and another store (where I had to pick up my purchase) earlier in the week. Easy sale. I knew exactly what I wanted. I had the webpage printed out. Just sell it to me. They couldn't accomplish that in less than an hour with a 7/2 employee to customer ratio. There's more to the story which I won't bore you with. All in all it was an amazingly frustrating and inexcusable shopping experience. I'm glad they are gone. I guess I'll have to learn to start shorting these company's stocks when I run into this kind of thing.

Arrto-

Coming from someone that worked retail for way longer than I should have, it sounds as if the employee(s) are just getting in their last digs on people (i.e.- customers) since they already knew the store was in peril long ago. After years and years of customers and management screaming at you (and you not being allowed to say a contradictory word back to either) it is a huge stress reliever to finally get in the last word you want.

The store I worked at for 13 years (we carried everything from computers to pet rabbits to plywood and all of it near top notch stuff) and a day didn't go by when you either didn't want to strangle a weasel of a store product buyer or a tight-wad customer. I knew quite a few people that worked on the sales floor that started to developed stomach ulcers.

I understand you had problems there, but these people are losing there jobs. It's hard, but try not to take it tooooo personally. Yes, I would be ticked off about not getting what I paid for when I expected it.

BTW- When my store went under (which is STILL in bankruptcy court) in 96', I was out of work for 2 solid years. Some of the more seasoned people I worked with (there 30+ years) not only lost their jobs but their retirement and investments (debentures) in the company. They had asked to cash in their stocks but were told the money just isn't there.

• Moderators

About the only thing I have ever bought from CC was Cd's or DVDs, but I did not like the way you must check out. Instead of a regular check out they were spread out in the store, so you would have to find someone not with a customer or talking with another employee to even pay. The last time I waited so long I thought about standing by the door to get the alarm thing to go off to get someones attention.

You're not alone

About the only thing I have ever bought from CC was Cd's or DVDs, but I did not like the way you must check out. Instead of a regular check out they were spread out in the store, so you would have to find someone not with a customer or talking with another employee to even pay. The last time I waited so long I thought about standing by the door to get the alarm thing to go off to get someones attention.

You're not alone

About the only thing I have ever bought from CC was Cd's or DVDs, but I did not like the way you must check out. Instead of a regular check out they were spread out in the store, so you would have to find someone not with a customer or talking with another employee to even pay. The last time I waited so long I thought about standing by the door to get the alarm thing to go off to get someones attention.

You're not alone