Dean G and his crossovers

woodsman

I am sure that most of you here know of Dean and his upgraded crossovers. But just wanted to add this to those who may not know about them. He also deserves another write up anyway for the fantastic job that he does. He recently upgraded my crossovers for the rf 7's. While stock they are an awesome speaker. I could have easily lived with them the way they were. But like most of us, if it can be better, than lets go for it. The upgrades that Dean does takes this speaker to another level. The best way to describe it is, balance. Really does smooth it out and sound, again, balanced. Listening to many of my favorite tracks before sending them off, I used the same one's right after re-installing them. My first thought was WOW, there is a LOT more detail. All the information that was put into that track by the artist has come to live. I bought these 7's to rock out to, which I will mostly. But after listening to them with some female vocals and accoustic guitar. I appreciate them even more for the mellow music that I have. They just sound so sweet. For all the fellow headbangers, metal even sounds better too. The bass and drums come through nicer, rather than focused on the sreamin guitar.

I know Dean upgrades other speaker's too, not just rf 7's. So if you are looking for another level or your stock one's are getting old. Contact this guy. Well worth the money. Great customer service too, only without them for about 6 days all together.

Yes they are Scott, and anytime you want to come and hear them, just let me know.

I might take you up on that offer. I've talked to Dean twice in the past and still haven't gone through with the upgrade. I'll shoot you an e-mail.

As one who has walked very lengthy paths tweaking various gears (especially vintage tube gear) I can tell you that a good network upgrade is one of the best and most important upgrades you can do for your system. It is well worth the trouble to find a network that fits your listening habits and needs.

One of the benefits of owning a "premium" set of Klipsch is that they can be as good as the upgrades you make to that system with your upstream gear. A HUGE part of that is getting good crossovers in those speakers. The crossover should have been the FIRST system upgrade I made. Once the network upgrades were sampled and completed, my system "direction" became much more focused - the changes (for better or worse) became much more evident and understood.

I own a couple different examples (and sampled many others) of Dean's handiwork, and he's a major reason I have developed into a bit of a cap-and-tube- freak. This stuff really works.......

The upgrades that Dean does takes this speaker to another level.

Tis true, regardless of the naysayers.

Hey, he doesn't just improve speakers. I had him upgrade my elevator! I never knew I had a third floor!

Thanks for the comments Jeff, nice job with that.

I wonder why Klipsch doesn't hire him? Too expensive?

I've decided that you're not a troll, just someone who is generally annoying -- I think you'll fit right in.:)

Klipsch doesn't have people sitting around soldering up networks. Like most companies, they outsource the work after the designs are completed. I do wish they would raise the price points a little and quit using the epoxy coated polypropylenes, Mylars and penny resistors -- the better stuff they make takes a nice leap forward with the right parts. I say "right" parts instead of "better" because some of the "better" parts make these speakers too incisive and add steely quality to the treble.

I think he is too busy with kids and family stuff.

Oh yeah, and don't forget the day job. :)

There are a lot of naysayers, but who can blame them with all of the BS that's floating around. I'm all for better parts in a filter, but I come down on the side of the naysayers when I read some the stuff people say while describing the differences. There's one site where a guy describes the differences between caps the way I describe the differences between loudspeakers!

Scott, you really should try to make it over to Jeff's, I think it'll blow you away.

Well now Amy, that compliment surpises me considering how much grief I've caused you over the years.:) I think you're cool too, certainly one of the more intelligent people around here. Of course, you've probably read over a 100,000 audio related posts so that shouldn't be all that surprising.:)