current CD player choices

winchester21

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>I once had a roomful of golden ears doing an AB between a Rega and a soundcard and it was a perfectly split decision. 

There were 18, as I recall, ranging from 20 years old to...well, a lot older.  Granted, it was a Card Deluxe...but considerable surprise from some anyway.

Dave

My point is that the comparison was regulated to one system, in one room and how many years ago? Current cd players have advanced even further, and depending on the room, system and intoxication of the guests [:)], results may be different now. Try it again Dave!

>I once had a roomful of golden ears doing an AB between a Rega and a soundcard and it was a perfectly split decision.

There were 18, as I recall, ranging from 20 years old to...well, a lot older. Granted, it was a Card Deluxe...but considerable surprise from some anyway.

Dave

My point is that the comparison was regulated to one system, in one room and how many years ago? Current cd players have advanced even further, and depending on the room, system and intoxication of the guests Smile, results may be different now. Try it again Dave!

My point was that you cannot advance beyond "accurate." You may invent speakers that beam straight at the ear, amplifiers that work using lasers, and a storage medium that carriers all the music in the world uncompressed on your key ring. But it cannot advance beyond "accurate," which is an absolute.

Again, it may sound slightly different...but no more or less accurate...assuming it is to start with.

Dave

There were 18, as I recall, ranging from 20 years old to...well, a lot older. Granted, it was a Card Deluxe...but considerable surprise from some anyway.

Dave

My point is that the comparison was regulated to one system, in one room and how many years ago? Current cd players have advanced even further, and depending on the room, system and intoxication of the guests Smile, results may be different now. Try it again Dave!

All I'm saying is that it was not that long ago.

All the recommedations you've seen give great sound. Sound that 10 years ago would have broke the bank many times over. The sonic differences between them are going to be subtle nuances. What isnt subtle are the bells and whistles. I went with the Cambridge 640 because it is a front loader, full size and solid metal so I could stack gear. It has balanced outs which I use into my Mac gear. It has a Spidf in so I can by-pass the DAC in my Sonos when I want. Those were my 3 criteria that booked the sale.

peace, ymmv,

TommyK

i have heard all most all that have been listed here and the electrocompaniet is anything but a subtle difference, above the budget yes, but it is the only cd player i have heard that actually can fool me into beleiveing i am listening to vinyl, i found most cd players fatigueing and sharp by comparison. you can also check out arthur salvatore review (digital shootout) he lends some very good insight into digital playback

Joe

i have heard all most all that have been listed here and the electrocompaniet is anything but a subtle difference, above the budget yes, but it is the only cd player i have heard that actually can fool me into beleiveing i am listening to vinyl, i found most cd players fatigueing and sharp by comparison. you can also check out arthur salvatore review (digital shootout) he lends some very good insight into digital playback

I agree Joe. I've heard the Electro at a dealer and was very impressed. Nice player, as you say very smooth and natural. At that price (and higher) all sorts of interesting products make digital sound... well nothing like digital. The Meridian G08 is a honey, the Ayre CX-7 is downright compelling and the Rega Saturn I am dying to hear. They all have very different flavors, and none too subtle in my book. It's a great time to be into digital! I'd really love to hear what even more $$ buys, like say a Meridian 808, or some MBL or DCS gear.

Here's a pic of my CEC CD player. Beautiful...

I have studied buying a CEC but have not found one at the right time. Edwins recommendation of the Appollo I agree with.

Me?

I drive jitter down in my 3 box CD playback system. Cymbals, snare and piano are the three instruments that work for me as live references I hear everyy 3-6 weeks in a nearfield experience.

Jolida is a very amazing CD Player. A lost forum member ShapeShifter brought his to me house for an afternoon a few years back.

Never heard an OPPO I am probaly needing to this year.

I agree Joe. I've heard the Electro at a dealer and was very impressed. Nice player, as you say very smooth and natural. At that price (and higher) all sorts of interesting products make digital sound... well nothing like digital. The Meridian G08 is a honey, the Ayre CX-7 is downright compelling and the Rega Saturn I am dying to hear. They all have very different flavors, and none too subtle in my book. It's a great time to be into digital! I'd really love to hear what even more $$ buys, like say a Meridian 808, or some MBL or DCS gear.

I have been loooking for a used Meridian for a few years to compare to my modded MSB. Have not found a deal that jumped out at me yet.

Dave

My point was that you cannot advance beyond "accurate." You may invent speakers that beam straight at the ear, amplifiers that work using lasers, and a storage medium that carriers all the music in the world uncompressed on your key ring. But it cannot advance beyond "accurate," which is an absolute.

Again, it may sound slightly different...but no more or less accurate...assuming it is to start with.

Dave

I think the words I use are abscence or fatigue (how many hours do you want to sit complewtely still and listen), attack , decay and realism.

Too bad we could not keep vinyl longer in the 1980s and just go to 24/ 88 from the beginning.

From what I read the 24/88 concept was not too far behind just dwarfed by the 16 bit onslaught by Sony and Phillips back in the day.

Before I settled on my CEC CD player, I tried and tested several so-called 'audiophile' CD players. They were built like tanks, expensive, and featured a sound that sounded a little shrill to me. It crossed my mind that maybe the designers of these CD players deliberately accentuated the treble response of their players so that during a side by side comparison in a retail environment, they appeared more detailed than their competition. Maybe that's being a little harsh. Maybe not...

Properly designed audiophile CD players can offer a liquidity and smoothness from the ordinary CD that rivals very good analogue replay equipment. If you don't believe me, jump on a 'plane, or if you feel fit, paddle or swim across the big pond and come listen to my setup[:P].

Dave

Dave

I think the words I use are abscence or fatigue (how many hours do you want to sit complewtely still and listen), attack , decay and realism.

Too bad we could not keep vinyl longer in the 1980s and just go to 24/ 88 from the beginning.

From what I read the 24/88 concept was not too far behind just dwarfed by the 16 bit onslaught by Sony and Phillips back in the day.

Excellent points there, Flynn. I am the first to admit that it's very difficult to quantify "different" yet accurate. It goes without saying that until surround is perfected to the point of being able to project an audio hologram of a space time event, REAL "accuracy" will be impossible and entirely new technology will be required to do that. For now, "accuracy" as I use it means "precisely what the engineer heard on the headphones" or, in the case of an accomplished engineer, those things which he hears on any system from a car CD player to a reference system minus the issues introduced by that system.

It is difficult to say this without sounding self-aggrandizaing, but I feel that, at least in the case of my own work, I hear precisely the same thing FROM THE SOURCE MATERIAL ITSELF on ANY system, regardless of quality. Anything added or missing is due to that system.

I hope that makes sense...

Dave

as you may or may not recall i was / am very fond of vinyl (just doesnt fit into my life right now) and i found most digital fatigueing to listen to at best, this player has come close to making me a convert, (i have a friend that is a vinyl NUT and he agrees it is very close to vinyl so much so infact he actually sold it to me, i beleive he sold it because it was challangeing his ideas that digital cannot sound this good) he went back to a denon !!!!!!!!!!!!! i for one am happy he didnt want to challange his beliefs [:D] i wish you were closer i would have no problem auditioning this thing

Joe

There is a used jolida on Audiogon - no warranty- good condition- supposedly tested - Underwood Hi fi- asking price 590 + shipping- offered 460 plus shipping- ofer refused

I can buy a new jolida for 794.00 with a warranty

Ihere is a jolida new at auction- current bid 615.00

there is a used cambridge 640 version 1 for 250.00

I can buy a new cambridge 640-2 for 399.00 shiping included

What should I do???????

There is a used jolida on Audiogon - no warranty- good condition- supposedly tested - Underwood Hi fi- asking price 590 + shipping- offered 460 plus shipping- ofer refused

I can buy a new jolida for 794.00 with a warranty

Ihere is a jolida new at auction- current bid 615.00

there is a used cambridge 640 version 1 for 250.00

I can buy a new cambridge 640-2 for 399.00 shiping included

What should I do???????

Winchester21, you heard the Cigarbum's Mc and his unmodded Jolida. You listened to my modded Jolida for a very few minutes. Did you like what you heard? I decided to go with the Hotrodaudiomod Jolida because I got to hear it in their lab locally and Underwood was doing his winter thing on the island and sends his repair work to some other place. If you would like I will drive over and see how much I can get another one for. Cheaper is good. Warranty is good. I have not had a moment's trouble with mine. Your mileage may vary.

Blvdre- your player is well worth what you are asking. Under normal circumstances I would have already bought it. I have committed to a major purchase on some other components. Money is a major issue at present. I am looking for someone who wants to sell one quick used for about 500-550 who needs to move it quick or has the hots for something better. I have missed a couple on Agon in this price range. Otherwise, I will go the cheaper route and buy the Cambridge as an temporary solution. With the mods- which I don't have to have now-yours is worth more. I would not try to beat you down on your price- given the circumstances. With the mods you should have no trouble getting 7-8 for your unit here or on Agon.

USNRET- I tried to call your guy today at Hotrod around 3:00- answering machine. If he has a used/ trade that he will deal on- I may be interested.

Does anyone know the diffeences between the cambridge 640 version 1 and 2? thanks in advance

Blvdre- your player is well worth what you are asking. Under normal circumstances I would have already bought it. I have committed to a major purchase on some other components. Money is a major issue at present. I am looking for someone who wants to sell one quick used for about 500-550 who needs to move it quick or has the hots for something better. I have missed a couple on Agon in this price range. Otherwise, I will go the cheaper route and buy the Cambridge as an temporary solution. With the mods- which I don't have to have now-yours is worth more. I would not try to beat you down on your price- given the circumstances. With the mods you should have no trouble getting 7-8 for your unit here or on Agon.

USNRET- I tried to call your guy today at Hotrod around 3:00- answering machine. If he has a used/ trade that he will deal on- I may be interested.

Does anyone know the diffeences between the cambridge 640 version 1 and 2? thanks in advance

I understand completely, just wanted to make sure you got the offer.

Blvdre- I had just started looking around on Agon to compare yours with others and research the mods when 2 other deals invoving major cash popped up in my face.In any case I should have acknowledged your e- mail earlier but I forgot to do it.I No excuse for that- my apologies. Bad form.